ReefCleaners.org

Correct Ai 16HD setting

New Reefer Dude

New Reefer Dude

since my first post this morning I have cleaned my aquarium glass and I tested for phosphate and nitrate.. and it turns out that my phosphate is at 0ppm. and my nitrate is at .50ppm. I have took a recent picture of it since the cleaning. im not sure if the nitrates are the cause yet or if its the lighting. 

its a 40 breeder. 

thumbnail.jpg

Lighting isn't a cause of nutrients or algae.

Lighting is a food source. Algae is a plant that will use lighting but it isn't the sole cause. 

It's a misconception that lighting causes algae, that algae is still there during lights out, you just can't see it.

Nutrients being high can occur for various reasons. To help more for the cause of high nitrates, we need more detail on the system, maintenance etc.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, New Reefer Dude said:

phosphate is at 0ppm. and my nitrate is at .50ppm.

You'll want to prevent this from remaining true....

0.03 ppm is the absolute lowest minimum I'd like for phosphates....0.10 ppm given more room for comfort.

Nitrates aren't quite as crucial, except now during the tank maturing phase....so even for them I'd target 5-10 ppm.

If you can ditch any excess filtration that's feeding into this (algae filter, GFO, carbon dosing, et al), start with that.   Live rock and a protein skimmer is all I'd be using right now.  Or just live rock.

If there's nothing extra for you to ditch filtration wise, then I'd dose both nutrients starting ASAP.  (I think I commented a little about this on your tank thread too, but not sure.)