Cultivated Reef

Diatoms or Dinos

New Reefer Dude

New Reefer Dude

Hello there new friends in the reefing world I have recently got into the hobby it been around 2-3 months, and since my tanks cycle I believe I been battling diatoms and I cant seem to get rid of them.

my water parameters are normal. could it be my lighting causing this algae, I have Ai Prime 16hd and I been messing with the light spectrum cause the instructions don't tell you much and I don't have any friends in the hobby to get advice from so please reefing community can someone help me ??? 

56295091-F65C-4B5F-888C-59F242FE99F8.jpeg

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, New Reefer Dude said:

Hello there new friends in the reefing world I have recently got into the hobby it been around 2-3 months, and since my tanks cycle I believe I been battling diatoms and I cant seem to get rid of them.

my water parameters are normal. could it be my lighting causing this algae, I have Ai Prime 16hd and I been mixing with the light spectrum cause the instructions don't tell you much and I don't have any friends in the hobby to get advice from so please reefing community can someone help me ??? 

We need pics! 😊

Almost surely diatoms....nothing to worry about.

Can you tell us some more about the tank?  Like what kind of rock is it?  Where did it come from?  (new?)   How about the story on that crushed coral substrate and those anemones?

BTW, there are lots of great tank lights out there that are much simpler to use.

With no friends in the hobby you need at least a couple of good books on your side!!  Do you have any so far?

New Reefer Dude

thank you mcarroll but if I remember correctly I bought the 

40 gallon breeder

crushed coral.... from Petco. 

the rock im using is live rock purchased new dry in 40 lb box 

2 pink bubble tips

1 rose bubble

1 green bubble

2 green rainbow bubbles 

1 hammer

1 torch

1 hairy mushroom

and since being new to the hobby I took advice from the shop employee for lighting and come to find out I don't like the Ai 16hd its alittle confusing since there isn't a reef setting and trying to mess with the spectrum and different colors is frustrating. and no I don't have any books yet 

That's a nice assortment of anemone/LPS/softies!

Keep in mind that ALL OF THOSE are "pigs" for dissolved nutrients. 

Keep them happy by keeping your system simple and by keeping it a little "dirty".  Don't run any extra filtration on the tank or do anything else to keep it "extra clean".  Don't shoot for low numbers on nitrate and phosphate tests.

There are lots of threads on the AI light -- and as far as I know it runs the same configuration software as their bigger lights, so any AI thread could work for showing you how to set yours up -- if you can do some searches here on the forum.   It's definitely not a bad light, just harder to use than some others.  Have you called the store to see if they could set it up for you or at least help over the phone?  If they don't actually use AI's in the store, they might not be able to help though.

What other options does your LFS offer?

2 hours ago, New Reefer Dude said:

thank you mcarroll but if I remember correctly I bought the 

40 gallon breeder

crushed coral.... from Petco. 

the rock im using is live rock purchased new dry in 40 lb box 

2 pink bubble tips

1 rose bubble

1 green bubble

2 green rainbow bubbles 

1 hammer

1 torch

1 hairy mushroom

and since being new to the hobby I took advice from the shop employee for lighting and come to find out I don't like the Ai 16hd its alittle confusing since there isn't a reef setting and trying to mess with the spectrum and different colors is frustrating. and no I don't have any books yet 

The Ai's are fairly easy to use but they are designed to be customized to settings you want or your livestock needs. So there are no pre set settings, most led controllable fixtures are designed this way.

There are numerous available settings on Ai's website and online from tons of users.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, New Reefer Dude said:

Ai Prime 16hd

....is probably too small for a...

3 hours ago, New Reefer Dude said:

40 gallon breeder

Can you afford a second one so you can have one on each side?  That should be enough.

A set of Kessils or a set of Current USA strips would be on the side of being easier to use, just to give you some ideas.

New Reefer Dude
4 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

....is probably too small for a...

Can you afford a second one so you can have one on each side?  That should be enough.

A set of Kessils or a set of Current USA strips would be on the side of being easier to use, just to give you some ideas.

I currently am running two prime 16hd one on each side.. 

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1
New Reefer Dude

thank you Tom I went and subscribed to your channel I been doing research and a lot of it, but someone people cant seem to put things into simple form so newbies would could understand. people make it more complicated then it should be

15 minutes ago, Chaozu said:

Some dude spamming his YouTube channel on every topic a couple nights ago. Seems like his comments are gone though 

That's what I thought.