Pod Your Reef

Help with RFA!

Trivia

Hey all,

i recently purchased my first Rock flower anemone and it doesn’t seem to be doing so hot. Not sure what is going on with it. When I first put it in the tank it attached itself super quickly to my rock and was looking good over all. Within a few days though it started to excrete some sort of brown slime, but from around its foot and not it’s mouth, so poop and zooxanthellae seem off the table.  After that it started detaching from my rock and had just kinda been tumbling around the rockwork closed up. Not really sure what to do for it.  Lighting is not too high and parameters are as follows. 

Salinity- 1.024

temp- 77°

po4- undetectable 

nitrates 10ppm

dkh- 9

Any help would be great! Thanks!

NoOneLikesADryTang

Was it a ring around it’s foot? If so, that’s their halo, and totally normal. It’s another form of them processing waste, all though occasionally it’ll need a little help getting free from it. 

I’d probably try to collect him, and put him in a low flow spot, or maybe even in a container to shelter him from flow and see if it’ll reattach. When you pick him up, if his tentacles are still sticky, that’s a good sign! 

Sadly, If it’s foot was damaged, the odds of it making a recovery are pretty low. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update!  

I woke up up a few days ago and he seems to have found a spot he likes and has fully attached.  It’s the most open I’ve seen him since purchase and it seems to be getting better by the day. Gaining more and more color.  Now to find ways to distract my cleaner shrimp at feeding time. 

• Like 1