Pod Your Reef

Good or pest snails?

John_20g_nanoreef

John_20g_nanoreef

Hi there, I am wondering whether these snails in the images below, that are in my tank are pest snails or baby trochus/turban snails?

For some context about 1-2 months ago there was a house fire at my apartment, luckily nobody was hurt but all of my stuff is smoked damaged, my aquarium was in a room which was filled with smoke for about 3 hours or so after the smoke was extracted from the apartment. On the night after the fire I took out 1 of my 5 turban/trochus snails from the tank and the  3 fish i had and left the coral frags in the tank. I then put them all in a new small spare tank i had with fresh saltwater at my mothers. The next morning  at my mother's house, the six line wrasse appeared dead along with turban/trochus snail in the new temporary tank, thankfully the clownfish and yellow goby were alive though. The next day i checked on the tank again and decided to remove the turban snail and six line wrasse. It is now around 1-2 months since i removed the snail and wrasse and i have just noticed loads of these tiny snails today around my tank, some of them have shells which are of similar colour/pattern to that of the turban/trochus (note - in the old tank i sometimes saw some snails on top of each other, don't know whether that is relevant).

So i am wondering whether i should transfer the biological filtration into my new tank build or cycle from scratch since the snails could be pests or baby turban. However if they are pests they could of come into my old tank by frag plugs and then into the biological filtration. Note - the rock in the new temporary tank i currently have is new rock and not from my old tank but the biospheres are from the old tank.

Also some of them looked exactly like miniature versions of the previous snails i had in my old tank, but it just seems unlikely that the dead snail had offspring.

To summarize, should i keep them, or not ?

The images are below...

Thanks, John.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

p5.jpg

p4.jpg

p3.jpg

p2.jpg

p1.jpg

Edited by John_20g_nanoreef
41 minutes ago, John_20g_nanoreef said:

Hi there, I am wondering whether these snails in the images below, that are in my tank are pest snails or baby trochus/turban snails?

For some context about 1-2 months ago there was a house fire at my apartment, luckily nobody was hurt but all of my stuff is smoked damaged, my aquarium was in a room which was filled with smoke for about 3 hours or so after the smoke was extracted from the apartment. On the night after the fire I took out 1 of my 5 turban/trochus snails from the tank and the  3 fish i had and left the coral frags in the tank. I then put them all in a new small spare tank i had with fresh saltwater at my mothers. The next morning  at my mother's house, the six line wrasse appeared dead along with turban/trochus snail in the new temporary tank, thankfully the clownfish and yellow goby were alive though. The next day i checked on the tank again and decided to remove the turban snail and six line wrasse. It is now around 1-2 months since i removed the snail and wrasse and i have just noticed loads of these tiny snails today around my tank, some of them have shells which are of similar colour/pattern to that of the turban/trochus (note - in the old tank i sometimes saw some snails on top of each other, don't know whether that is relevant).

So i am wondering whether i should transfer the biological filtration into my new tank build or cycle from scratch since the snails could be pests or baby turban. However if they are pests they could of come into my old tank by frag plugs and then into the biological filtration. Note - the rock in the new temporary tank i currently have is new rock and not from my old tank but the biospheres are from the old tank.

To summarize, should i keep them, or not ?

The images are below...

Thanks, John.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

I’m not able to see the pics.