inTank Media Baskets

AquaristShelle

So, will your dragonet eat Repashy? How about a diy gel food? I saw on the official dragonet show off post how a few people were raving about repashy, but I want to go in depth on this. 

I understand the most difficult part of keeping a dragonet is getting him to accept a food, and having that food always available. A chunk of gel food like Repashy seems like the ideal supplement for them. It sinks, remains stable in the aquarium for so long, and it's super dense in nutrition. You could even slather it on rock and it sets up like a jell-o around it. Once trained to accept it, the mandy could just perch beside the Repashy, peck it every two seconds, and have suplemental food all day from one feeding. 

What do you think? Has anyone tried this? I don't have a mandarin (yet) or I'd try it myself.

I'm also curious about other foods your mandy accepts. Fish roe is a popular one, but will yours eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Have you tried black or white worms? Microworms? Daphnia? Moina? I'm peeking over from the freshwater side of the hobby, so I have all these cultures of live foods I'm interested in trying. 

Also, I've been a longtime lurker but this is my first post, so, hello 🙂

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AquaristShelle said:

So, will your dragonet eat Repashy? How about a diy gel food? I saw on the official dragonet show off post how a few people were raving about repashy, but I want to go in depth on this. 

I understand the most difficult part of keeping a dragonet is getting him to accept a food, and having that food always available. A chunk of gel food like Repashy seems like the ideal supplement for them. It sinks, remains stable in the aquarium for so long, and it's super dense in nutrition. You could even slather it on rock and it sets up like a jell-o around it. Once trained to accept it, the mandy could just perch beside the Repashy, peck it every two seconds, and have suplemental food all day from one feeding. 

What do you think? Has anyone tried this? I don't have a mandarin (yet) or I'd try it myself.

I'm also curious about other foods your mandy accepts. Fish roe is a popular one, but will yours eat decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Have you tried black or white worms? Microworms? Daphnia? Moina? I'm peeking over from the freshwater side of the hobby, so I have all these cultures of live foods I'm interested in trying. 

Also, I've been a longtime lurker but this is my first post, so, hello 🙂

:welcome:

I was lucky, my Scooter Blenny would eat anything I gave him. 

• Like 1
AquaristShelle

Thanks for the replies, guys! 

On 1/1/2020 at 12:33 AM, Snow_Phoenix said:

One of the mandarins I used to keep went nuts for Repashy. But he pretty much ate anything I threw into my tank, including pellets. 

Did the other mandarins refuse the Repashy? Did you have to train him yourself?