Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water evaporates from main tank instead of back compartment(wrong place to post?)

SamAP06

16 minutes ago, SamAP06 said:

So I have an aio tank and in the back compartment I have an auto top off, but for some odd reason my display portion is losing water instead of the back part. Why?

Your return pump is not running?

5 minutes ago, SamAP06 said:

It is but for some reason the water in my return chamber stays the same and the display tank water evaporates instead of the opposite.

Picture would really help. I can’t picture what you’re saying to be honest. 

Are you saying that the water level in your display decreases because of evaporation, while the level in your rear chamber stays constant? Seems very vexing indeed. That's definitely not how that's supposed to work. 😂

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Picture would really help. I can’t picture what you’re saying to be honest. 

Lol it's got be either a design flaw if its homemade or something not adjusted right if it's a factory made tank.. 

What tank is it🤔. And I agree we need pics of the intank flow and the rear chambers.. should be one of those easy ahhhh ha moments 🤙

My guess is there's not enough flow getting into the return-pump's chamber. In other words your main weir from the display can handle the flowrate, but it sounds like your rear-chambers start to bottleneck when your tank starts losing water. (Or would that do the opposite?)

That or you might just have your tank overfull so that the water level is dropping without influencing levels in the rear-chamber?

12 hours ago, Chaozu said:

Sounds like an AIO with those bottom intakes. Maybe a Fluval with the small safety hole 

Ya, my fluval spec had nothing but issues with water level in the chambers and display, even after I clogged the hole in the wall. 

Could definitely be the issue if it has the bottom intake

• Like 2
MainelyReefer

Sounds like someone running an Innovative marine tank and not keeping the water level low enough to make it lose water only in the return pump chamber.  You overfilled the tank maybe?  

You probably have a leak between the display tank and the return chamber. When the  return chamber lowers the main tank is feeding it water through the leak. 

• Like 1