Cultivated Reef

Added clam to my reefer 170 today ๐Ÿ˜

Mike P

Finally received my new crocea clam from live aquaria today..... ordered some snails and green water also but unfortunately only 2 of the 6 snails had snails in them, the other 4 are just empty shells ๐Ÿ˜–. I also ordered a court jester goby but that has been delayed due to weather conditions according to LA, hopefully things clear up soon so they can ship it out to me. The clam seems pretty healthy from what I can tell, this is my first one and it opened up within minutes of adding it to the tank.

ย 

9C54E1B2-6C1B-400A-9BD4-23BC935B78B6.thumb.jpeg.49fbd316a540be6a10df63d9cdd36ce2.jpegC6D1CF66-4589-46EE-ABB6-B6A03C836DD2.thumb.jpeg.1c36bd8d1d82f6e057f95f26efa9da9e.jpeg

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Mike P said:

ordered some snails and green water also but unfortunately only 2 of the 6 snails had snails in them, the other 4 are just empty shells ๐Ÿ˜–.

ย 

Love the clam!

ย 

Funny that you say that... a few months ago, I ordered 6ย Banded Trochus Snails from LA and I only received 3 snails, 2 empty shells and 1 shell had a Hermit Crab inside of it!ย  The whole package reaked of death, just a horrible smell.ย  It's weird that LA is sending empty snail shells to multiple customers...ย  (the part that pissed me off was that LA would only give me a $12 account credit for their mistake, not a refund, so I would have to pay $30 for overnight shipping and $10 for a box fee if I wanted to get the 3 snails they owed me from the previous order.)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Seadragon said:

ย 

Love the clam!

ย 

Funny that you say that... a few months ago, I ordered 6ย Banded Trochus Snails from LA and I only received 3 snails, 2 empty shells and 1 shell had a Hermit Crab inside of it!ย  The whole package reaked of death, just a horrible smell.ย  It's weird that LA is sending empty snail shells to multiple customers...ย  (the part that pissed me off was that LA would only give me a $12 account credit for their mistake, not a refund, so I would have to pay $30 for overnight shipping and $10 for a box fee if I wanted to get the 3 snails they owed me from the previous order.)

I still have not heard back from them after submitting my claim yesterday but Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s because of the holiday, I do hate that they dont give refunds anymore. You would think someone verifies whatโ€™s in or not in the shells before packing themย ๐Ÿ˜–. At least the clam appears to be nice and healthy and has already attached itself to my rock. Never had a clam before and have been wanting one for so long, just didnโ€™t know what kind to get and the prices of them kinda steered me away from ordering any. Now Iโ€™m just waiting for them to ship out my court jester goby and hope heโ€™s healthy

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

I still have not heard back from them after submitting my claim yesterday but Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s because of the holiday, I do hate that they dont give refunds anymore. You would think someone verifies whatโ€™s in or not in the shells before packing themย ๐Ÿ˜–. At least the clam appears to be nice and healthy and has already attached itself to my rock. Never had a clam before and have been wanting one for so long, just didnโ€™t know what kind to get and the prices of them kinda steered me away from ordering any. Now Iโ€™m just waiting for them to ship out my court jester goby and hope heโ€™s healthy

ย 

If they give you a customer survey, be sure to mention to them that they need a QA person to verify that there are actual live snails within the shells before shipping them.ย  Not empty shells (orย a hermit crab in my caseย ๐Ÿ™„).ย That's what I told them... it's just ridiculous.

ย 

I've never had a clam before in my tank, but I've eaten thousands of clams in my lifetime.ย  How does it attach itself to a rock?ย  Do you feed it anything special?ย  Does it require intense lighting?ย  Is it hard to care for, or can it survive without any special care or feeding at all?ย  Who knows, I might get one one-day if it seems easy (but I have a feeling it's harder than I think).

ย 

ย 

26 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

ย 

If they give you a customer survey, be sure to mention to them that they need a QA person to verify that there are actual live snails within the shells before shipping them.ย  Not empty shells (orย a hermit crab in my caseย ๐Ÿ™„).ย That's what I told them... it's just ridiculous.

ย 

I've never had a clam before in my tank, but I've eaten thousands of clams in my lifetime.ย  How does it attach itself to a rock?ย  Do you feed it anything special?ย  Does it require intense lighting?ย  Is it hard to care for, or can it survive without any special care or feeding at all?ย  Who knows, I might get one one-day if it seems easy (but I have a feeling it's harder than I think).

ย 

ย 

Crocea clams attach them self to rock and create an acid to burrow itself in the rock. I choose this kind because itโ€™s the smallest clam, this kind does require high light. You also have to watch your alk, cal, and mag since they consume a lot.ย I purchased alagen green water to feed mine since itโ€™s small. From what I have read you should feed phyto when they are less then 2 in.ย 

• Like 1
Frag Factory

That clam looks fantastic!

ย 

If you're looking for a good clam food I use goniopower. I broadcast feed the entire tank as I have a few things that enjoy it but my clams put on 2" in size since May and I put it down to the food.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

That clam looks fantastic!

ย 

If you're looking for a good clam food I use goniopower. I broadcast feed the entire tank as I have a few things that enjoy it but my clams put on 2" in size since May and I put it down to the food.

I ordered some alagen green water for it when I purchased it

Seadragon...LA has gone wayyyyy down hill. Ordered 2 clams from divers den and they sent completely the wrong clams and tried to tell me to wait until my warranty expires and they will change color. Freaking idiots! If you have warranty credit they will definitely screw you. They sent me dead fish, dead snails, dead hermits. I will never order from those crooks again.

• Like 1

Clam looks Great. Has it jumped off the rocks yet? I had a Maxima that would never stay still. A Babylonian snail are him. I have 2 Maxima's now but no more Babylonians.

1 hour ago, Blue Topia said:

Clam looks Great. Has it jumped off the rocks yet? I had a Maxima that would never stay still. A Babylonian snail are him. I have 2 Maxima's now but no more Babylonians.

Nope, it stuck itself and wonโ€™t budge. This is a crocea clam and I donโ€™t believe they move around from what I saw. These do create an acid to burrow itself into rocks

• Like 1