SaltCritters.com

Wet live rock from LFS

Salkio

hey all!

I got recommended this website from reddit (/r/ReefTank/). I have a question on if i need to cure or kill or boil the rock before putting it into my tank.

So since it was inside a aquarium it does have corals or what not attached to it. I noticed after it had a bristle worm attached and this other polyp which i know is invasive. 

My tank is brand new and still cycling so im not sure if adding this rock without doing anything will help boost it or if it will just do more harm than good. 

thank you 

I personally would never boil live rock, you never know what toxins you will kill and release. Also, the purpose of live rock is to have it live. You can "quarantine" it in a separate container with a small circulation pump and heater and look for unwanted pests to come out and then remove them if you are worried. Also, if you don't want the hitch hiker coral polyp, be careful and manually remove it using a razor blade and taking some of the rock with it. Again, some polyps, especially palythoas release toxins when damaged. I recommend wearing protective eyewear.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

I personally would never boil live rock, you never know what toxins you will kill and release. Also, the purpose of live rock is to have it live. You can "quarantine" it in a separate container with a small circulation pump and heater and look for unwanted pests to come out and then remove them if you are worried. Also, if you don't want the hitch hiker coral polyp, be careful and manually remove it using a razor blade and taking some of the rock with it. Again, some polyps, especially palythoas release toxins when damaged. I recommend wearing protective eyewear.

thank you!

• Like 1

Definitely never boil liverock, not only does it kill the liverock, it's very dangerous.

The purpose of using established liverock is for the benefits of no cycle, its established, and all the biodiversity.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Salkio said:

hey all!

I got recommended this website from reddit (/r/ReefTank/). I have a question on if i need to cure or kill or boil the rock before putting it into my tank.

So since it was inside a aquarium it does have corals or what not attached to it. I noticed after it had a bristle worm attached and this other polyp which i know is invasive. 

My tank is brand new and still cycling so im not sure if adding this rock without doing anything will help boost it or if it will just do more harm than good. 

thank you 

Just manually remove any invasive corals, pest nems, algae etc... wear gloves!

Never ever boil rock, you could end up in the hospital.

Bristle-worms are not harmful, there are some other types that are though but they are less common. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd QT it right in the tank....just wait a few weeks or even a month or two before adding anything that would hypothetically complicate chasing around a pest that you wanted to remove.  (Basically, don't add anything until the observation period is finished to your satisfaction.)