SaltCritters.com

Reef Roids or BRS Reef Chili?

Prezpreston

HI All! So I recently acquired 3 frags for xmas; ORA Hammer, ORA Galaxea and ORA Orange Colony Zoa - and I wanted to start target feeding them to get some great growth.

I'm trying to decide between BRS Reef Chili and Reef Roids. Does anyone have any personal experience/better experience with one over the other? I saw a study that BRSTV referenced in one of their 52 weeks of reefing vids that showed a study done (I think by University of Hawaii) that showed over a certain period of time, BRS Reef Chili gave the best growth over other foods. Now, I'm obviously well aware of marketing, so I figured you all may have debunked/confirmed that study by now!

Thanks all!

GetPsyched2124

Honestly, I don't think it matters a whole lot which one you choose regarding what the corals will grow fastest with. both are great products. I think it more just comes down to personal preference as reef roids is a finer powdery substance. i've used both separately throughout the years and have had great growth with them. 

I'd say pick whichever one, see how you like it. i am currently using reef roids. but with my lps (torch, frogspawn, acan, candy cane) and ricordia, I spot feed frozen mysis which i think they respond to the combination of roids and mysis better than either food alone.

• Thanks 1

I've only used Reef Roids, but everything in here seems to like it. All the scavengers pop right out of hiding at the smell. I'd definitely advise frozen mysis as well for any corals that have a large enough mouth to handle it, and for rock flower anemones if you get those in future. (Which I recommend.)

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, GetPsyched2124 said:

Honestly, I don't think it matters a whole lot which one you choose regarding what the corals will grow fastest with. both are great products. I think it more just comes down to personal preference as reef roids is a finer powdery substance. i've used both separately throughout the years and have had great growth with them. 

I'd say pick whichever one, see how you like it. i am currently using reef roids. but with my lps (torch, frogspawn, acan, candy cane) and ricordia, I spot feed frozen mysis which i think they respond to the combination of roids and mysis better than either food alone.

10 hours ago, Tired said:

I've only used Reef Roids, but everything in here seems to like it. All the scavengers pop right out of hiding at the smell. I'd definitely advise frozen mysis as well for any corals that have a large enough mouth to handle it, and for rock flower anemones if you get those in future. (Which I recommend.)

Awesome - thanks guys!! 

Coral feeding is as likely to cause an algae outbreak as it is to make your corals grow faster. 

I'd consider NOT feeding them and just see how things go at first.  After all you're going for health and stability -- not coral farming.  😎 

But once you have a track record on the tank and everything is humming along you can make tweaks like adding a coral feeding routing later at any time IF you think it's needed.

My corals have always grown fast (sometimes too fast) without direct feedings though...I suspect yours will too.

1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Coral feeding is as likely to cause an algae outbreak as it is to make your corals grow faster. 

I'd consider NOT feeding them and just see how things go at first.  After all you're going for health and stability -- not coral farming.  😎 

But once you have a track record on the tank and everything is humming along you can make tweaks like adding a coral feeding routing later at any time IF you think it's needed.

My corals have always grown fast (sometimes too fast) without direct feedings though...I suspect yours will too.

Appreciate that mcarroll - I'll wait off on feeding until I see how they're doing.