ReefCleaners.org

Is This Full Extension On My ORA Euphyllia?

Prezpreston

Hi guys!

I just wanted to double check - are these below pictures showing full extension on my Euphyllia? I want to be positive before I superglue/putty the guy down.

That spot gets relatively moderate flow.

IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

NoOneLikesADryTang

It looks about right for a hammer... Be aware though, they do have sweeper tentacles that are longer when looking for food, so you may want to feed and watch for the tentacle to make sure it's a good spot before gluing down. 

23 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It looks about right for a hammer... Be aware though, they do have sweeper tentacles that are longer when looking for food, so you may want to feed and watch for the tentacle to make sure it's a good spot before gluing down. 

Got it; and I’m guessing that you’re saying to watch to make sure it won’t extend and sting other coral? Or the extension of the sweeper will tell me it’s not in the right spot because it’s hungry?

NoOneLikesADryTang

Your first thought is correct. So you can make sure it’s sweeper won’t sting other corals. I’ve got a hammer, and candy cane trumpet corals that have grown close to each other, and it’s not going well for the trumpets. 

42 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Your first thought is correct. So you can make sure it’s sweeper won’t sting other corals. I’ve got a hammer, and candy cane trumpet corals that have grown close to each other, and it’s not going well for the trumpets. 

Got it - thanks Tang! Also not sure if you can answer this but; how do these things grow? As in, are the new heads going to form in the side of that calcium skeleton? The typical hammers I see completely hide the skeleton, and this skeleton is super visible.

Eek sorry about your trumpets 😞

NoOneLikesADryTang

It depends if it’s a wall hammer, or branching. The heads will usually grow together, before branching out if it’s a branching hammer. If it’s a wall hammer, it will continue to grow in a literal wall formation. 

1 hour ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

It depends if it’s a wall hammer, or branching. The heads will usually grow together, before branching out if it’s a branching hammer. If it’s a wall hammer, it will continue to grow in a literal wall formation. 

Got it - it’s branching. The frag looks like the heads are actually beginning to split. Btw I can’t find this info anywhere but - how long do the tentacles of more mature hammer colonies eventually get? Will I get enough extension that the tentacles will fully cover the skeleton?