Prezpreston

Hey All! 12.5 JBJ DX Here

Prezpreston

Hey all!

Figured I would introduce myself as I’ve been posting around the beginners forums quite a bit (thanks to mccaroll, getpsyched, pjanssen, clown, and a few others for all the help!) and I thought maybe it was time to come to the big kid forums 😛

I inherited a JBJ 12G DX from a friend of a friend, it was running for about a year, and I’ve now had it for about 3 or 4 months. After some initial course corrections (dude had his salinity at 1.046! 😐) the tank is flourishing. He had some tiny coralline spots here and there but since I introduced a Kessil A80 in the tank and fixed salinity levels and nitrate levels, it’s exploded in growth.

Had a few planted tanks when I was younger, but got the itch for a saltwater tank after reading and researching for close to 7 months.

Hardware: 

JBJ 12G DX AIO

Kessil Tuna Blue A80

Spectral controller

Stock 106 GPH submersible pump

Some kind of heater (haven't pulled it out yet to check the brand name because it's working fine. I think it might be a MarineLand or Aqueon).

Hydor Koralia Nano Pump 240

Filtration I’m using a sponge filter and filter floss in the first chamber, Seachem Purigen and ceramic rings in the second chamber, and tons of live rock in the display tank!

Livestock:

1 ocellaris clownfish AKA Biff 

2 hermit crabs

3 Nassarius Vibex

5 or 6 Dwarf planaxis

ORA Galaxea

ORA Marshall Islands Hammer

ORA Orange Colony Zoa

Hitchikers:

1 bristleworm

Pods pods pods

Hydroid jellies!

I plan on making this tank stocked completely from aquacultured / maricultured sources, and want it to be a softie dominant tank. I envision adding maybe one more coral for this tank and then just letting it ride and trying to foster as much growth as I can with those corals!

Not sure I’ll ever introduce another clown or fish in this small a setup as Biff really likes being the BMOC (as my hand can attest to when I try to reach in the tank). But I do plan on adding a trochus snail or two and a cleaner shrimp to help keep up with cleaning as I feed a little heavy. 

Super excited to be a part of the community and keep learning - just when I think I’ve learned a ton, I discover a new depth to this hobby (thanks to mccaroll, currently reading an article by Dr. Farley about phosphate in the aquarium). Cheers guys and gals!!

BD7C1763-BC7E-4CF3-AFD9-5E15A306DEFF.jpeg

075B3A04-5FB3-4350-80E9-6C448C59308C.jpeg

A96332C9-7933-420A-97A5-6969A5F68507.jpeg

F1E954F7-D10B-4F6B-B131-B025FD26F07E.jpeg

4B6260E4-1259-43CA-A72D-77C7F93B0D3A.jpeg

• Like 1