inTank Media Baskets

Bloated Scooter Blenny

Willzs

Hi all. I've had my tank up and running for a while now and have noticed my scooter blenny is looking rather bloated. Any ideas what has caused this or how to remedy it? She seems happy enough bouncing around the tank as normal otherwise.

20191213_134044.jpg

20191213_134053.jpg

20191213_134057.jpg

20191213_134103.jpg

1 hour ago, Humblefish said:

It could be due to an internal infection or a gas bubble that has formed in the swim bladder. Is the scooter blenny eating frozen/pellets or pods only??

To be honest I've never seen it eat anything. I guess it must eat some of the frozen or pellets I feed?

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Could be eggs or egg bound. My girls always got super fat. I know Paul B's mandy's look like they will pop. 

^^ This is probably more likely than the two possibilities I suggested.

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Could be eggs or egg bound. My girls always got super fat. I know Paul B's mandy's look like they will pop. 

45 minutes ago, Humblefish said:

^^ This is probably more likely than the two possibilities I suggested.

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about this then?

2 hours ago, Willzs said:

I guess I shouldn't worry too much about this then?

I am not sure there is much you can do. I believe generally her body should reabsorb them.

• Like 2

I agree that if behavior overall seems healthy that it's possibly eggs.  

When you say the tank has been up "a while", approximately how long is that? 

The tank looks very new and almost "too clean" in the pics.  

Approximately how long has the dragonet been in there? 

What are you feeding the tank?

On 12/31/2019 at 7:00 AM, mcarroll said:

I agree that if behavior overall seems healthy that it's possibly eggs.  

When you say the tank has been up "a while", approximately how long is that? 

The tank looks very new and almost "too clean" in the pics.  

Approximately how long has the dragonet been in there? 

What are you feeding the tank?

The tank has been running for around 6 months but was an upgrade of a smaller tank that was running for 6 months before that. The scooter has been in there about 3 months. I feed a mix of frozen and dried food.

Hm....more like a tank that's been up for six months or less....not six months or more.

That doesn't make me think of eggs, that makes me think of bloat....generally speaking too soon for something like a Scooter unless they're taking prepared foods.

My fingers are still crossed since he's apparently still acting well.....but with a scooter, changes to swimming behavior from something like bloat might not be too evident.

His poops might not be too evident for the same reason, but if you can notice what they're like (color, consistency) it would be interesting information.

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Hm....more like a tank that's been up for six months or less....not six months or more.

That doesn't make me think of eggs, that makes me think of bloat....generally speaking too soon for something like a Scooter unless they're taking prepared foods.

My fingers are still crossed since he's apparently still acting well.....but with a scooter, changes to swimming behavior from something like bloat might not be too evident.

His poops might not be too evident for the same reason, but if you can notice what they're like (color, consistency) it would be interesting information.

She was eating prepared food in the shop or I wouldn't have bought it. I'll see if I can let you know about the poop.

• Like 1