inTank Media Baskets

RFA growout pico thoughts

Tired

I have some RFAs, and since these have about a 1/1 sex ratio, I'm statistically likely to have at least one pair. If they spawn (since these do that in aquaria), I'd like to be able to raise the babies. 

Starting August, I'm going to be in college. There's a limit of 1 5gal aquarium per dorm room, but I think I can swing a 2.5 in addition to mine with the "these tanks combined have roughly 5 gallons of water" explanation. Or easily hide a 2.5gal behind something. I know it's not an ideal size, but with no stock except RFAs (and maybe a few snails), I'd imagine bioload wouldn't be a massive concern. 

I would want to be able to easily remove the nems once they reached a size where my LFS could take them. Therefore, I'd want them to only be able to reach sand, glass, and some small shells, so I wouldn't have to figure out how to pry them out of rock crevices. My thought on that is to divide a section of the tank off, maybe a breeder box, as an in-tank fuge/rock area. Some of that block media with the immense amount of surface area, some chaeto, a chunk of live rock to seed things, and we'd be off to a good start. 

Some questions: 

What light would be appropriate? I'd like something that can at least show their colors a little, so I can see what I've got. 

For my main tank, what can I do to reduce the effects of spawning on everything else? Carbon? 

How long do the female nems need to absorb sperm to fertilize things? I.e. how long do I have to wait after the nems spawn to do a big water change. Can I turn off the pumps, let things sit for 10 minutes, and then change the water? 

How fast do baby RFAs grow? 

Any tips on dislodging babies that attach to something inconvenient in the main tank?