Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need fast cycle or instant even better

karen nation

5 hours ago, karen nation said:

Thanks you so much for taking a great deal of time to write this and help a newbie fresh and saltwater fish owner!  I have my clown now!  Yay!    I will post about that later after I respond to you , and i even have pics of the lil cutie.  I would love to turn my betta into a planted tank!  It was so rushed at the time I adopted him that I didnt have the time to even consider that.  I had to get him into a warm environment and was so happy to give him swimming room, heat and stimulation! I have since thought of making it into a planted and the plants I love are anuba and Java fern.  One other spindle long type, cant think of name.  Also love to attach to a nice piece of driftwood! 

I guess it is just the norm to do water changes more often.  I know I read that but it was staying so clean and sparkly the first 3 weeks or so that I didnt change it.  Then all of a sudden it got cloudy and now I have to do them often like I had read to do.  Maybe it happened so quickly this last time was cleaning the decorations so much and also changing out.  Oh I forgot to mention I took Santa out, and I changed a  few things around because I  decorated it for xmas.  My hubby also bought me a big anchor to put in because they all know how fish crazy I have become lol so I changed out santa and put the anchor in and cleaned the other remaining plants but the large one.   I do always add a little safestart when I do water changes, and he did so well in the beginning with that and having no bb besides that since I rescued him!  To bad there arent more people like you, this person was a friend of my daughters that had him in such deplorable living conditions!  There was a young girl buying a betta at petco the other day with a bowl and the cashier saying it was fine!  I had to give my two cents and advised her that they needed at least a 5 gallon and he gave me a dirty look like WTF.  People get confused when they see them in a bowl and just make impulse buys, but you would think petco employees would want  (if nothing more)  to sell bigger tanks being that equals more money for them.

I was hoping not to mention what happened to me in here but there is so much more than what people are seeing on this post. Since you brought it up I need to explain.   I wont mention names and I think we have mended things.  I know you said the memes and name calling was uncalled for, But you have no idea how bad it got! They were really going at me and directing people to my post.  IT got very nasty, vulgar and disgusting like saying to ride his..well You get what I am saying, many many more vulgar remarks not to mention all in that room were saying stuff like that. I became very frustrated and angry, basically crying like a baby!   I was telling my hubby , things like "how did this backfire on me"? I came in here to make friends and now I am hated. I didn't realize at the time I was saying things back to them that they were all friends and connected and all this talk was spreading about me in that chat!  After the big encounter I stayed out of that room (didnt want to hear the hurtful things)  and then I got tagged and I went in and it was still going on days later.  I scrolled back and there were days of it and were twisting my words and making lies about what I had said. They had this joke about me wanting to put a puffer in a ten gallon when that wasn't the fact, I merely said I loved them and wish I had room for one. I was also very mad at this one person because she said I was cycling with a fish and I wasnt so I fell this is what started it all, so I did blast him for telling lies and starting it all, the puffer one and everything! Thats also why i got defensive with all the people leaving rude comments on my page, was they were all connected! I saw most of them in that chat and I get notifications of them entering now for some reason, wish I could disable that! 

I wanted to put his all on my post to let people understand my frustration and anger but I dint want to be accused of not letting it go.  You did bring it up, so I'm explaining.  You dint bring it up in a nasty way at all and I see that you are trying to be helpful!  Its all water under the bridge( I hope) I havnt been back to see if they accepted my apology  because I did say some mean things in retribution.  I hope this post dosnt make them mad at me again.  I can see this is a very close community and I hope to be a part of it all and that we can start a clean slate!  I probably need to apologize to the person I called a mean drunk as well, but I could have swore he said he had been drinking all day in the chat and I felt that that was the reason for the memes and the name calling.  I could have had them all in big trouble like you said surprised this wasnt flagged, I did report one at the very beginning but I let the rest go because at the end we left in somewhat a nice way.  I did say goodnight and was laughing at their crazy things they were saying, (i had their sex confused so they were making a lot of nasty comments like can I borrow ur dildo to try out my new vavajay" lol) that why I was so surprised when I went back after the tag and days later the puffer stuff was twisted and days and days of bashing me in there, by sooo many people.  

I sure hope this dosnt get all this going again.  Thats why i am leaving names out! I just want to be friends and man, did I do some stupid stuff, and since you mention my research and staying up all night.  I was for weeks still a'm  but it was about what gear to get and fish and corals and all.  Pages of notebooks I filled writing all I learned as well, so that was time consuming. Lot of research, youtubes on 10 gallons no skimmer, How to start a coral reef ect..I think I watched everyone.  and also looking at used aquariums, emails to people, checking FB marketplace, craigslist , ect, ect you tubes on certain aquariums and trying to figure out what used one to get (ended up buying a new el cheapo), but good gear. My research wasnt caring for corals so I had no idea what It would take.  I was an idiot!  I admit.  A few day days s prior to the live sale, with 5 buck corals I did a crash course up all night, on beginner corals.   Watched tons of youtubes on them..ect..so this was my research.  It made it seem not so hard for softies, certain lps.  Not so many at a time though and being a newbie, that was more than dumb but idiotic  I thought I was just going to add biospira and be cycled and add corals the way things went with my betta that was so easy.  Not to mention the youtubes I saw of people doing it. But then came hospital ect..ect! If only I knew then what I know now!  I mean just buying 12 corals at once and the acclimation, even If I had an established tank, would be nuts!  What had me so unsure was the 1,000 torch I supposedly won!  Then after being at the hospital and losing 2 important weeks that I could have been searching for a LFS to keep (their website says only hold corals for 2 weeks) Of course I didnt see this until the craziness settled down and my son was well or doing better and released.  I was waiting to see a pic of this 1,000.00 torch of the gods!  They finally posted a pic the other day!  Then I was like what kind of an idiot requests a sale to be cancelled after winning a 1,000.00 torch!  Lucky  they never responded to it!  I am so scared to call that I will get tongue tied so I sent another one explaining my sons illness and even making up some tales as to why i didnt come forward and claim!  I hope so bad I can get it!  My lfs will hold(she wants a piece of that torch) lol.  I will pick up a few at a time from her.  Not for a while though! If I can get them at all!  They will probably just refund my money!  I want to slap my self upside my skull...LOL I would rather have the fun of buying little by little with my family, but I want that torch!  lol I kind of figured people bought a lot of corals at  a time being so many places change 45.00 shipping, one of the reasons why i felt it wouldnt be so hard!  Boy am I wrong, maybe corals arent so easy to come by outside of FL, that people pay that crazy shipping charge and get just a few!

This response is more than likely going to make me sound defensive and I am not any longer.  I understand all the warnings and, people saying take it slow!  I get that now.  I was an emotional wreck for a while and sleep deprived as well.  That I cant even remember if I addressed all this in the post, I left introducing myself and all.  I am sorry to repeat myself, in case I am! (PLus I am not sure what all you know and have read) They were long as this one is, but Its just to you, not anyone else but it will probably show on my thread,  which is a shame, maybe I should have just pm you to explain why I behaved like I did!  I probably should delete everything and start fresh, a new name and all, because I realize I look like an idiot and it all started over the first stupid move..the live sale! I know you said I sounded incoherent... during some of my posts I was sick with the flu as well!

When everyone started saying not to add ammonia I did get defensive and explained I kept pulling it up to add it.  Its crazy, but maybe it was the way i searched it, and If I had been cycling with ammonia all along! I had everyone mad and saying I did the wrong thing and didn't listen so thats why i kept mentioning the youtube and google searches, not to demean their advise. I have eaten my words and shoved my foot in my mouth and left an apology for all.  I sure hope they take it, there have been so many nice and helpful people here,  it amazes me even after the explosion there were many still talking to me.  It also seems as If the one person was being nice on my post but tagging me and not being nice in that chatroom so it made me look like the bad guy!  No one knew the story and  I couldn't explain, because people were saying I shouldn't have answered old comments because I wasnt letting it go, but they were unaddressed, and I didnt see the comments until after I wrote the long one introducing my self and all. I also didnt realize my comments back to them would attach to the end of this thread, still learning this forum and how it works! 

I dont regret adding ammonia though!  I am sure I have a strong cycle because of it! I think i was cycled the day I left the last pic! I didnt give it 24s to convert (long story)  and besides It wasnt necessary anyway and only if I had been dosing all along, Expecting it to covert more ammonia that a tiny fish would put out! !  My lfs verified my ammonia and everything was cycled.  I even put my foot in my mouth saying that the internet had it wrong!  It was probably suppose to have nitrates at the time that i tested it being 24 hours wasnt up!  I was just planning on redoing the test, but others said It wasnt necessary. Brilliant idea of urs to test rodi!  I never thought of that, I happened to have some rodi salted and just tested it, and same exact color as I am getting now and the color I posted last!  So there is a weee little bit of green, that I see.  Ever so faint. I think the pic lighting makes it more obvious.  Same color on the color chart for 0. But funny how so many people dont see that tinge of green.  Maybe I notice it since I have a room painted that color and its gold with a hint of green. Either that or I am color blind..lol

Thanks for letting me know about using it on fresh. I  didnt want to mention I watched a youtube...lol After being called mrs youtube..haha But I id want to see If I could see a positive to compare with mine, so someone left a youtube saying you could. use the reef for fresh and fresh for reef. I Have tried it yet being the water has been changed and I am sure the readings will be 0 now, but I will if water starts to get cloudy again. 

Thanks you for the helpful advice and all the advise for my betta.  Thats the exact hammock mine has that he wont use 😞  I just scrolled up and someone else said they have a new betta and have never changed the water!  I wonder if its just because his is new as well.   He said he had 3 snail so maybe I will get the hamshorn, but I wonder if they breed in a tank.  Thats a scarry thought!

I am not sure when I will add another clown, I just have one but I probably will very soon.  I just wanted to make sure with that iffy yellowish green and praying she was right about being cycled, and I think my ammonia was cycled for a while as well.  It was the nitrates that was the problem.  When ever I added ammonia, next day it would be back to that same yellowish with slight green.  I know my lfs said I should get two and now you said I should have as well.  I have read best to get a mated pair but wasnt sure if they meant after a newly cycled tank.  I know that as babys they will more than likely become a mated pair if I get one soon.  Also, she may still have one of the fish he was with in the tank at the store.  I didnt want to add a yellow clown goby, or tailspot first, even though they are considered more peaceful, beause clown is considered hardy so thought it would best to start with them and several LFS agreed wit h that and you are right about not trusting lots of them, but when you go to a owner operated you can usually trust they know the right thing! I will more than likely wait as you suggested to get the other two but I have seen lots of 10 gallons with 3, actually all that I have seen, either 2 and a cleaner shrimp or 2 and another small fish.  I haven'tt seen 4 but maybe they didnt have a tank in their garage, but you are right, plans could change...who knows the future!

One thing more I want to add is I am so scared I am going to be judged on when I add my fish, corals or anything now.  More so that the average newbie because of all this! Hate to mention youtube but I saw many 10 gallons and people adding  corals soon after cycling and they did fine!  Some were immediately after biospira then fish even that soon!  So I may get a few, but if I do they will be softies!  It makes it hard not to because we go to coral and fish shops on Sundays usually. I was house bound when I got into this hobby and planning stages and I didnt realize there were so many, but nowhere could I get the deals I got on that live sale! I did also read some people say they didnt get the so called UGLY phase so hopefully I wont but i know its a possibility.  Do you have yours cycled yet and up and running?  If so have you encountered any problems yet? 

I have not even turned lights on yet and I may not untill I get corals.  I keep the kitchen light on so fish can see a little but I know light is bad for algae growth so thats why i dont have it attached yet.  Trying to decide which to keep as well.  

Sorry this is so long and so much to read and also thanks again for all your help!

Hi Karen!

Just to start my response, my name is Danielle, I am a woman 🙂 

Congratulations on being cycled! Your clown is a cutie pie! How big is he? 

Completely understandable that you wanted to get your betta into better conditions PRONTO, and did not think about doing a planted tank then. 

Is the spirally one your are think about corkscrew vallisneria by chance? I am wracking my head trying to think of other spirally plants, but that is the only one I can think of. Vallisneria needs more light to grow, and often goes through a melting stage when settling in (I ordered 3 large bunches of it with 14"+ leaves, they all melted and died within 2 weeks. Roots are growing, and there are new leaves growing now as well). 

Oh there actually is also cryptocoryne spiralis. Maybe that is it? Or vesuvius sword plant, or Aponogeton Ulvaceus? 

Some driftwood would be really nice in his tank, since it would help leech good tannins into the water (similar to indian almond leaves, catappa leaves, etc.) I always prefer malaysian driftwood (I like the look and darker colors, has crevices to jam java ferns and anubias, some parts can snag on a betta's fins though),  but mopani driftwood is also very nice, and would look good in a smaller tank. It is very smooth, so no pieces for a betta's fins to snag on either. You can find them at local fish stores/pet stores, or even order it online through amazon. 

Funny how your betta doesn't like the hammock! That just goes to show that every betta has their own personality! 

I don't think you mentioned, how much are you feeding, how often, and what are you feeding? I really do think the cloudy water is from excess rotting food most likely. I had the same issue a long time ago when I had just started out. 

Even if you just did a water change, I would still test the water for peace of mind. It only takes about 5-10 minutes, and then you for sure know what the parameters are. I like to test every 2-4 days for new tanks, and then eventually go down to weekly once it is established, then only when there is a problem or I do something that could affect the water once it has been running with no problems for several months. 

Oh gosh, PETCO.  I haven't stepped foot inside one for over 3 years. I had to go there to get some frozen food for my betta (and a tube java fern), and overheard the fish section employee talking to a dad and his young son about the benefits of getting a plant for a betta. Does he mention how bettas are found in nature with plants? Or how plants help keep the water quality better? No, he starts talking about how bettas nibble on plants for FOOD, so you don't have to feed them. I stopped the dad and his son, told him (in earshot of the employee) how that was false (thankfully they actually fed him normal pellet food), as betta's are insectivores/carnivores who do not eat plants, plant roots, or algae. He thanked me and we chatted for awhile, they ended up getting a live plant,  a silk plant, and a hide for him to rest/play with. The cashier ironically actually knew about fish, we chatted a bit at check out. Sometimes, I want to work at PETCO just so I can educate people on proper fish (and other animal) care, but I'd probably get fired for refusing to sell people fish/other animals. 

That was great for you to step up and say something to the people getting a bowl for their betta! I wish they would invest their money into building a betta rack like some fish stores do. Show people that bettas need heated, filtered water in an aquarium, and that live aquatic plants go great with them! 

How fun that you decorate your tank for the holidays! 

I won't comment anymore on the drama that happened (I did make my way to the chat forum and read a few posts), as I think that it seems like it is heading in the direction of being water under the bridge. 🙂

I do want to say that I think people are seeing that you are just very enthusiastic and excited about things, and you made a few mistakes that you want to correct now. I hope that you choose to stay, and not feel that you need to make a new account with a new name and start over fresh (and most people can figure out who is who anyways, based on post history and writing style, so it wouldn't achieve what you want).

I (and I am sure others) are very curious to see this $1000 torch picture! Those live sales sound like a great marketing ploy to make people spend impulsively! I am sure there are many more who have fell victim to buying the corals because it makes it seem like such a great deal that is only happening NOW and you must buy or you will miss out. There will always be more corals, and I would not be shocked if there is a reef group where you live in Florida that does frag swap meets monthly or something. Florida seems to be pretty popular for reef keeping. I found a group where I live, and people post on the buy/sell/trade forum free corals, inverts, and even fish all the time! I see that you say how it is hard to find corals in FL, I would look for any reef groups and on craigslist. I imagine if there are groups in landlocked CO, ocean coastline FL will have some.

While there are people who have 2 fish plus inverts (inverts have a lower bioload than fish, and typically fish don't see them as a threat), or 3-4 fish in a 10 gallon, whether or not this is successful depends on the species and age of the fish, the individual personalities of the fish, and how experienced the person is. The people you see on youtube adding corals right away or either a) super experienced or b) not very experienced, and will most likely kill the corals. You want to look to see if they have update videos showing how everything is doing. Someone who posts several videos of doing things that look like they would turn into a disaster, with no update videos, probably had it turn into a disaster. 

I have seen several videos on youtube showing someone who looks to be very experienced starting a tank (fresh or reef), and adding living things (such as 200 tetras, etc) either right after set up, or shortly after. Only at the VERY end (or in the comments) do they say something like they had been running an extra filter on another tank for several months and pulled that for it , or they took the live rock from another tank they currently have that has been running for several years, so that the tank is instantly cycled, etc. I wish they would say it in the beginning, and multiple times throughout the video, as it does give the appearance that people can add living things right after setting up their tank. 

Youtube is a great resource, nothing wrong with using it as long as you check your facts on anything that seems odd. 

I do not even have my tank decided, so definitely not close to up and running yet. I am in the research and planning stage currently, and want my betta's tank fully planted and running smoothly (still possibly cycling) before I start another tank. 

I am a little murky on cycling reef aquariums still (or using things like biospira/bottled coraline algae), so I am not going to comment on that. 

People who have a shorter/no ugly stage, are often people who used live rock (such as aquacultured live rock) that has been in the ocean for 1-2+ years. From my research on this forum, when there is more biodiversity (such a various macroalgaes, coralline algae, and critters), there is more competition for the "bad and ugly" things. They have a harder time taking over your tank, as other things are taking their nutrients or space. 

It is just like in a freshwater aquarium where if you have a ton of plants from the beginning (especially things like java moss and fast growing stem plants), algae isn't as big of an issue because there is a competition for nutrients with the other plants.

The guide on reef2reef for setting up a new reef, after it is cycled (unlike most people here, they advocate for dry rock and sand, and cycling with ammonia) is having your lights on the same schedule that you will for your reef, and let your tank go through the ugly stages before adding any life (except maybe a few snails or hermits). From my understanding, delaying turning on the light will not prevent it from going through the ugly stages, it will just delay it. 

As long as you wait until your tank is mature enough for more life (and you can research on this forum or ask here I'm sure)and you are adding what is suitable for your tank (maturity and size wise), people are not going to judge you for adding more living things. Starting out with a couple cheap, easy, soft corals after you have a good hand on keeping your tank healthy is perfectly fine (such as working out kinks with evaporation, mixing saltwater and using a refractometer, stable salinity and parameters, etc.) Buying $200 of various softies, lps, and sps for a tank only a couple months with fish is probably not the wisest. It sounds like you got a better head for everything now though! I understand how seeing everything at the fish store is very tempting!

I am sorry you got the flu, hopefully both you and your son are feeling better now!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, Tamberav said:

Cute clown, I would add a lid if you can. They can jump out and I hate finding fish jerky. 

Thanks!  Nemo is a lil cutie and doing very well, He is getting a mate on Tuesday! She has a new batch coming in on Tuesday.  I am getting a smaller one, not  to much smaller though.  I wish I would have just got two when I got her/him.  That way they would have worked out who was going to be the male and female.  I figure Nemo will be the female, since she more than likely will be the dominant and larger one!

On 2/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, danistarr said:

Hi Karen!

Just to start my response, my name is Danielle, I am a woman 🙂 

Congratulations on being cycled! Your clown is a cutie pie! How big is he? 

Completely understandable that you wanted to get your betta into better conditions PRONTO, and did not think about doing a planted tank then. 

Is the spirally one your are think about corkscrew vallisneria by chance? I am wracking my head trying to think of other spirally plants, but that is the only one I can think of. Vallisneria needs more light to grow, and often goes through a melting stage when settling in (I ordered 3 large bunches of it with 14"+ leaves, they all melted and died within 2 weeks. Roots are growing, and there are new leaves growing now as well). 

Oh there actually is also cryptocoryne spiralis. Maybe that is it? Or vesuvius sword plant, or Aponogeton Ulvaceus? 

Some driftwood would be really nice in his tank, since it would help leech good tannins into the water (similar to indian almond leaves, catappa leaves, etc.) I always prefer malaysian driftwood (I like the look and darker colors, has crevices to jam java ferns and anubias, some parts can snag on a betta's fins though),  but mopani driftwood is also very nice, and would look good in a smaller tank. It is very smooth, so no pieces for a betta's fins to snag on either. You can find them at local fish stores/pet stores, or even order it online through amazon. 

Funny how your betta doesn't like the hammock! That just goes to show that every betta has their own personality! 

I don't think you mentioned, how much are you feeding, how often, and what are you feeding? I really do think the cloudy water is from excess rotting food most likely. I had the same issue a long time ago when I had just started out. 

Even if you just did a water change, I would still test the water for peace of mind. It only takes about 5-10 minutes, and then you for sure know what the parameters are. I like to test every 2-4 days for new tanks, and then eventually go down to weekly once it is established, then only when there is a problem or I do something that could affect the water once it has been running with no problems for several months. 

Oh gosh, PETCO.  I haven't stepped foot inside one for over 3 years. I had to go there to get some frozen food for my betta (and a tube java fern), and overheard the fish section employee talking to a dad and his young son about the benefits of getting a plant for a betta. Does he mention how bettas are found in nature with plants? Or how plants help keep the water quality better? No, he starts talking about how bettas nibble on plants for FOOD, so you don't have to feed them. I stopped the dad and his son, told him (in earshot of the employee) how that was false (thankfully they actually fed him normal pellet food), as betta's are insectivores/carnivores who do not eat plants, plant roots, or algae. He thanked me and we chatted for awhile, they ended up getting a live plant,  a silk plant, and a hide for him to rest/play with. The cashier ironically actually knew about fish, we chatted a bit at check out. Sometimes, I want to work at PETCO just so I can educate people on proper fish (and other animal) care, but I'd probably get fired for refusing to sell people fish/other animals. 

That was great for you to step up and say something to the people getting a bowl for their betta! I wish they would invest their money into building a betta rack like some fish stores do. Show people that bettas need heated, filtered water in an aquarium, and that live aquatic plants go great with them! 

How fun that you decorate your tank for the holidays! 

I won't comment anymore on the drama that happened (I did make my way to the chat forum and read a few posts), as I think that it seems like it is heading in the direction of being water under the bridge. 🙂

I do want to say that I think people are seeing that you are just very enthusiastic and excited about things, and you made a few mistakes that you want to correct now. I hope that you choose to stay, and not feel that you need to make a new account with a new name and start over fresh (and most people can figure out who is who anyways, based on post history and writing style, so it wouldn't achieve what you want).

I (and I am sure others) are very curious to see this $1000 torch picture! Those live sales sound like a great marketing ploy to make people spend impulsively! I am sure there are many more who have fell victim to buying the corals because it makes it seem like such a great deal that is only happening NOW and you must buy or you will miss out. There will always be more corals, and I would not be shocked if there is a reef group where you live in Florida that does frag swap meets monthly or something. Florida seems to be pretty popular for reef keeping. I found a group where I live, and people post on the buy/sell/trade forum free corals, inverts, and even fish all the time! I see that you say how it is hard to find corals in FL, I would look for any reef groups and on craigslist. I imagine if there are groups in landlocked CO, ocean coastline FL will have some.

While there are people who have 2 fish plus inverts (inverts have a lower bioload than fish, and typically fish don't see them as a threat), or 3-4 fish in a 10 gallon, whether or not this is successful depends on the species and age of the fish, the individual personalities of the fish, and how experienced the person is. The people you see on youtube adding corals right away or either a) super experienced or b) not very experienced, and will most likely kill the corals. You want to look to see if they have update videos showing how everything is doing. Someone who posts several videos of doing things that look like they would turn into a disaster, with no update videos, probably had it turn into a disaster. 

I have seen several videos on youtube showing someone who looks to be very experienced starting a tank (fresh or reef), and adding living things (such as 200 tetras, etc) either right after set up, or shortly after. Only at the VERY end (or in the comments) do they say something like they had been running an extra filter on another tank for several months and pulled that for it , or they took the live rock from another tank they currently have that has been running for several years, so that the tank is instantly cycled, etc. I wish they would say it in the beginning, and multiple times throughout the video, as it does give the appearance that people can add living things right after setting up their tank. 

Youtube is a great resource, nothing wrong with using it as long as you check your facts on anything that seems odd. 

I do not even have my tank decided, so definitely not close to up and running yet. I am in the research and planning stage currently, and want my betta's tank fully planted and running smoothly (still possibly cycling) before I start another tank. 

I am a little murky on cycling reef aquariums still (or using things like biospira/bottled coraline algae), so I am not going to comment on that. 

People who have a shorter/no ugly stage, are often people who used live rock (such as aquacultured live rock) that has been in the ocean for 1-2+ years. From my research on this forum, when there is more biodiversity (such a various macroalgaes, coralline algae, and critters), there is more competition for the "bad and ugly" things. They have a harder time taking over your tank, as other things are taking their nutrients or space. 

It is just like in a freshwater aquarium where if you have a ton of plants from the beginning (especially things like java moss and fast growing stem plants), algae isn't as big of an issue because there is a competition for nutrients with the other plants.

The guide on reef2reef for setting up a new reef, after it is cycled (unlike most people here, they advocate for dry rock and sand, and cycling with ammonia) is having your lights on the same schedule that you will for your reef, and let your tank go through the ugly stages before adding any life (except maybe a few snails or hermits). From my understanding, delaying turning on the light will not prevent it from going through the ugly stages, it will just delay it. 

As long as you wait until your tank is mature enough for more life (and you can research on this forum or ask here I'm sure)and you are adding what is suitable for your tank (maturity and size wise), people are not going to judge you for adding more living things. Starting out with a couple cheap, easy, soft corals after you have a good hand on keeping your tank healthy is perfectly fine (such as working out kinks with evaporation, mixing saltwater and using a refractometer, stable salinity and parameters, etc.) Buying $200 of various softies, lps, and sps for a tank only a couple months with fish is probably not the wisest. It sounds like you got a better head for everything now though! I understand how seeing everything at the fish store is very tempting!

I am sorry you got the flu, hopefully both you and your son are feeling better now!

HI  Thanks so much for getting back to me and sorry it took so long.  To tell you truthfully I was kind of scared to  go on here, I was afraid that my response to you might have stirred up some more stuff!  Last time I went in the chat they were still going at me.  That was b4 I apoligized so hopefully its cooled down and I wont go back to check.  I need to figure out how to change all the notifications I get from that room.  I also havnt been in any forums much.  Did you know that you can google a question.  Like for instance:  "How to find a mate for your clown",  or anything and you will see where someone else asked the same question, and you will read all the responces from different forums like this.  So many times I wanted to post a question but google it and OMG, countless ones answered from nano-reef.  I could see so many members like clown and others answering the questions and from years back!  I am going to post one question on though after I message  you.  I am still spending so much time researching things like how to take care of newly cycled aquarium, different clownfish breeds, and finding a mate. Water changes ect Its never ending.  I literally feel like this has become my life!  My family says I am obsessed! haha

Nemo is doing very well, He swims all over and has an appetite like a giant fish!  If I let him I think he would eat all day.  My parameters still perfect, no amonia or nitrite and light yellow for nitrates.  Misplaced my card for colors, but I checked so many times I know by heart!  Ordered acclimation  kit, that came with a ph checker and a salinity checker(hate refractometer when you have bad eyes) haha. A drip kit, but I am going to send back.  Its crazy, you have to calibrate every time, and its a double check calibration, and to top it all off you have to cailibrate by dipping the end in a package of fluid that is only single use!  Just a way for them to make more money!  I wish there was a simpler way than a refractometer though and cant trust hydrometers.

My betta tank is still looking good since I cleaned it but i guess its just normal to do frequent water changes.  Someone else has a new one and said they never did a change so I think when its brand new for some reason It stays clear longer and I did go an xtra few days last time. I also changed out everything but the plants, several times.  The xmas ones and then the anchor so possibly got rid of my bb I had b4.  Bettas are very tough though!  They are the damsels of fresh I guess.  He survived being in a bowl from my daughters friend and setting him up with tetra safe start, so I figured it would be fine to change decorations and clean off algae, as long as I add tetra safe start and never change filter same day.  He like having new stuff to look at I believe.  He checks it out for days after I change my decor. I have to post a pic in here!   I I will maybe next time. My cell is dead right now anyway. Oh, I got a new snail!  Couldnt find a ramshorn but got a mystery and that is one busy snail!

As, far as the torch goes I can probably say goodbye to that! So stupid to do that live sale and that was from watching to many youtubes of people doing that!  I wish I knew the name of the guy but one is mass aquariums that bought a shit ton of corals right after they cycled with bacteria starter, so I know it can be done.  They did it!  It scares the hell out of me from what I know now though, and from peoples responces on here!  This one guy with in a week went and bought a ton from someone shutting down a tank on craigs list.  It had quite a few videos of the progress months later, both of them, and i know there is more.  Oh susan Nichols is another.  so 3 that I can think off off hand.  Susan has been doin it for years though but the other one was a newbie and the other guy calls himself mass aquariums, so I dont know if he owns a shop or is a you tube tube star that has lots of salt water subscribers.  He does tons of salt water youtubes.  Even bulk reef supply instant cycles so I know that can be done. I did take a lot of flack form members, about the instant cycle.. Maybe I didnt mean so much instant cycle but a way to get fish in quick, and have zero ammonia and nitrites and all with bacteria starter.  That was the plan until my son got sick.  Glad I waited but in a way mad as hell I did.  Because it has more than likely made me lose out on the torch I won.  Thank god they never replied to the email of me canceling!.  I have still yet to figure out how to go about contacting them, in regards to my money and the torch.  Like I said had my son not have got sick I would have been out finding a lfs to store my corals!  That is easy when You have a 1,000.00 holy grail type and they all want a piece.  There is a llfs about 20 minutes from me.  He is not my regular but I went by just looking at corals like we do.  Sort of window shopping I guess.  I told him about the torch and he offered me 400.00 for it. He had some nice torches too.  A devils soul, but not a holy grail type.  I was waiting on them to post a pic.   When they finailly did I wanted to slap myself silly!  I have numerous drafts in my saved folder where I began to write them but quit, just not sure what to say and why I took so long!  I think I will suggest that they give me a credit for their next live sale and name me the winner of that!  I really want to buy them in person with my family and have since discovered so many corals shops in a hour drive like more than 20 and at least 10 in 35 minute drive!  We love to go out as a family looking anyway.  At that time I had hurt my back and was staying home so I didnt know.  I just saw the crazy online prices and said to myself "WOW 5 buck corals"  After watching those youtubes I had no idea of the difficulity and still dont see how these people have done it!  I have so chilled.  Like I said no light on even.  I guess it wont prevent the ugly stage though . I do have 2 lights I could use and I need to figure out which one to send back anyway! I am sure I am repeating myself anyway, but you said something about a pic so I dont know if will get it. Unique corals, they have a good rep so I think they might work with me!  If I save for a credit (there stock has changed since my order anyway) I wll more than likely go after the more expensive corals, since they are all at reduced prices during the live sales anyway!  Aquarium depot had 50 percent off at xmas time and on already reduced prices! Bam bam zoa and sunny d for 1.99 al the time as well. There are plenty of shops here I can get mushrooms 20 to 30 bucks, acans 10 a head, duncans 10 a head, 5 buck zoa's. 15 leathers, ect So If I hadnt of been house bound I would have not did that sale!  But possibility something good may have some from it!

Sorry about the long paragraph..lol My daughter is staying with me for a few days, she just came down from Idaho, she is working the ellection campaigns, so I have to get off.  Hope we talk soon!  Nice to have a fellow woman reefer.  Not to many in here I dont think!   After I get things figured out more, now that I am up and running.  I will spend more time in here.  Tonights research is or was...changing my media so not to lose my beneficial bacteria. I started with stock from aqua clear!  I want to upgraded to a bigger aqua clear 50.  I added a little seachem matrix on top of the stock media so Its really crammed in there.   Plus I will need to use phosguard more than likely when I get corals in a few months. I added a polyfilter and cut the stock one in half.  I think I should change out to the aqua clear 50 now and add keep the old and add new stuff I plan to use like purigan...kind of hard to explain.  I just dont want to remove that bacteria but I know my charcoal is cash.. so if i change aqua clear (tonight possibly, since I have it) then I can fit chemi pure elite and the old charcoal that isnt working.  I can then remove the old after bacteria has built up on my new.  If that makes any sense.  Also was reading about water changes last night.  Spruce pets has so much info so I just go from one subject to another pertaining to saltwater .  I know I should just ask in here but I dont know how many people will reply since I am not well liked now!  It sucks.  I think I will go for it though. It sure would be a lot easier than spending my nights until 5 am researching and reading so much info on line! (Not to mention.. I have been named mrs youtube and google.. now I feel I have to be!)  Lots of it not pertaining to a 10 gallon no sump, skimmer ect...either so thats a whole new ball game!  I might put that post tomorrow, since my daughter is patiently waiting for me to come and spend some time with her! Take care... Hope to talk soon:)

• Like 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

I've been lurking on this thread to see how it unfolds...hehe.

Petcos really vary by the store. You'll need to vet the store managers and the aquatics specialist to see if they're up to snuff. I'd first look and ask if they actually have a dedicated specialist (they're supposed to have one). I've been to ones that think clown plecos are good for a 10 gallon...only if you're interested in high nitrates.😶

As one, I run my new fishkeepers through the gauntlet and teach the nitrogen cycle. However the sad reality is that many people that come through my Petco store is that they want everything to come in place in a single day. I normally turn people away and don't sell fish unless I get a full tank profile and get a better understanding of the person taking care of it. I've also had turned people away because of overstocking. There have been some folks have fought me on that contention, but I'm the kind of person that literally calls my 29 gallon with 6 neon tetras and a very young Pterophyllum "fully stocked." I am also that guy that deters people from buying those filter cartridges you're "supposed to replace every month." I do have those gem of a customer that actually do understand what's going on and I feel pretty comfortable getting fish and inverts for them. Those gems also just swing by to look and chat and learn and not buy anything. My parting words to everyone that visits my Petco store is: "Do you damn homework." Burtsonville Petco will be the toughest place to get a fish.

I keep a betta too. It's a 6 gallon rife with jungle val and duckweed and makes my nitrate climb really slow. I can't remember when I did a pwc. Though I do give it an annual water change to simulate that...monsoon event...

Refractos aren't hard. I normally keep a small vial of RODI from Whole Foods as a cleaning and calibrating solution for my refracto. I always make sure I rinse my equipment in tap or some sort of freshwater. It's also nice to buy a pack of chamois towels from like an electronics store. I got the 6 pack and I definitely need more. I like how absorbent they are haha.

I found building a new SW tank easier if you followed/copied/emulated somebody's build. You're welcome to steal an idea or two from my journal (see the signature below) or check out defekt's tank. His journal is called The Sanity Saver. Consider the principles in our journals and see if you can apply it to yours. I also recommend Inappropriate Reefer's 10 gallon series.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:15 AM, Tamberav said:

I set up a 10g Betta tank recently using organic potting soil on the bottom with about an inch of black sand (for freshwater) on top. A piece of driftwood and some hardy live plants and 3 snails. It stays very clean. I haven't had to do anything to clean it since I set it up. I haven't even done a water change. That was the goal though as I don't want anything distracting me from my reef tank.

How long have you had your Betta with no water change?  I think my first change was a month or maybe 3 weeks.  Its stayed sparling and clear but after that first one I have to d o one maybe every 2 weeks now.  I did read that was the norm though and in the beginning I was like WTF like why is my water staying so clean?  So I didnt bother.  I know cant go by looks in a saltwater though...lol.  Anyway, I have change decorations a few times, not everything though so maybe thats why.  My nerite snail sucks...actually he dosnt suck..hahaha Thats the problem.  I just got a mystery snail that kicks ass!

I just picked up a 10 gallon Aqueon ascent 1/2 price at petco!  I may move him in there.  I can only use stock lightning because of the lid.  I was hoping to change my 10 gallon SW to this.  I love it!  Its painted black in the back, and hides waterline!  I hate waterlines.  Thats why my betta has a rim and black lid can't fill to top because you know how they like to gulp air! I topped off my 10 gallon SW at the rim now, I am laying the lid from the aqueon across it until I upgrade my filter, Reason being is we have to go get either plexiglass or a piece of glass for a lid, and not sure where to make the cuts.  I have since found out I cant use for salt because it has black paint on lid so light wont shine through!  Bummer.  So maybe use for betta and get low light plants.  I wish I would have done that first but I needed to get him in a tank in a hurry, plus cant do much with plants in a 5 gallon, but my new one would be perfect for plants.  Cant decide If i should use dragonstone or driftwood!  What really sucks though is I spent all this money for the 5 gallon and all kinds of different fake decor!  It is cute, even though its fake:)

Planted tanks can go a long time without water changes, but planted tanks with potting soil substrate should NOT be compared to other aquariums in that aspect. The rapid plant growth uses up the nitrates that the water changes are used to remove. 

Visible cleanliness is a bad indicator of when to do a water change. You do a water change when nitrates are too high, and water clarity doesn't tell you about that. Hell, you could have perfectly clear water that has lethal levels of ammonia in it. Remember- vodka is clear, too. 

Good that you know about the air for the betta. They have a labyrinth organ, which they can use to process oxygen from air, and have to use it occasionally to keep it healthy. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Diamonds x Pearls said:

I've been lurking on this thread to see how it unfolds...hehe.

Petcos really vary by the store. You'll need to vet the store managers and the aquatics specialist to see if they're up to snuff. I'd first look and ask if they actually have a dedicated specialist (they're supposed to have one). I've been to ones that think clown plecos are good for a 10 gallon...only if you're interested in high nitrates.😶

As one, I run my new fishkeepers through the gauntlet and teach the nitrogen cycle. However the sad reality is that many people that come through my Petco store is that they want everything to come in place in a single day. I normally turn people away and don't sell fish unless I get a full tank profile and get a better understanding of the person taking care of it. I've also had turned people away because of overstocking. There have been some folks have fought me on that contention, but I'm the kind of person that literally calls my 29 gallon with 6 neon tetras and a very young Pterophyllum "fully stocked." I am also that guy that deters people from buying those filter cartridges you're "supposed to replace every month." I do have those gem of a customer that actually do understand what's going on and I feel pretty comfortable getting fish and inverts for them. Those gems also just swing by to look and chat and learn and not buy anything. My parting words to everyone that visits my Petco store is: "Do you damn homework." Burtsonville Petco will be the toughest place to get a fish.

I keep a betta too. It's a 6 gallon rife with jungle val and duckweed and makes my nitrate climb really slow. I can't remember when I did a pwc. Though I do give it an annual water change to simulate that...monsoon event...

Refractos aren't hard. I normally keep a small vial of RODI from Whole Foods as a cleaning and calibrating solution for my refracto. I always make sure I rinse my equipment in tap or some sort of freshwater. It's also nice to buy a pack of chamois towels from like an electronics store. I got the 6 pack and I definitely need more. I like how absorbent they are haha.

I found building a new SW tank easier if you followed/copied/emulated somebody's build. You're welcome to steal an idea or two from my journal (see the signature below) or check out defekt's tank. His journal is called The Sanity Saver. Consider the principles in our journals and see if you can apply it to yours. I also recommend Inappropriate Reefer's 10 gallon series.

I bet half or more of the community has been lurking on my post!  Haha.  How the hell did I catch so much shit? 

Please dont take this wrong.....But  You seem to have done what I was doing and yet, you havnt caught the shit I did!    You started with Biospira.  Thats a big No No in here!  Thats what I meant by my post..instant cycle.  I worded it wrong!  I was sick, my hubby comes home with the water, I thought i could add Biospiria and corals, like inappropriate reefer did !  I have followed his series!  (another big no no in here, I was called mrs youtube)I Have same gear, same tank..made it rimless...Petco 1.00 a gallon special!  haha.   Speaking of petco..... I went to return stuff...so much cheaper on amazon and I found a Aqueon ascend for 1/2 off!  Kudos to petsmart on that!  Your store is run so differently than most!  I have only bought supplies and a nerite snail!  Funny thing is they call themselves aquatic specialists and they dont know a tetra from a molly!  They wont advise against putting betta's in a bowl..people see them in bowls and think its okay.. and dont do their homework.  I didnt leave my computer for 2 weeks with a bad back doing homework, as I was house bound basically.   I still live on this computer ... I used to watch tv with my hubby at night!  Not anymore.,

Inapropriate reefer, did a long cycle (man did he have algae) then added corals right away, granted frags from his big tank so he knows what he is doing!  As many others I have followed on youtube.  Susan Nichols!  mile high reefers, mass aquariums, madhatter reef, brs, saltwater aquarium,  oh, love Than from Tidal gardens (watched probably all his on corals)   so many more that i cant remember all their names. I was made fun off and seem to offend some people that I watched and learned from them. Well, these are people with a lot of tanks and knowledge.. One guy was a newbie I think.. that made a video, filled with corals in less than a month! I figure If he can do it I can, I used to think like that anyway.   My searches was usually something like"setting up a ten gallon coral reef"Not to mention I watched just everything like Brock Leonard who does fish species spotlight videos.  I love me some youtubes...lol  

Didnt you say that you got your tank and left with a bottle of biospira in dec and had corals by january? I would be blasted and called every name in the book! I havnt bought a coral at all, since the live sale!  I will more than likely get refunded my money.  I hope not but I probaly lost out on the 1,000.00 coral which was even dumber of me..and they think everything else I did was idiotic! I am being so patient its ridiculous. I have 2 lights.. current orbit, and the hipagaro (also inappropriate reefer) and havnt hooked up yet.  I go to coral shops and can leave with 5.00 zoa's 10 buck acans, duncans, candy canes...ect.  I am afraid to for one thing because I will be called stupid if I do.  I also figure I have waited this long may as well, give it 6 weeks.  I dont think I will wait longer than that though to get a few softies!  I care to much what others think of me I guess!  I know some people have said I ddint take their advise and I argued but they didnt know what was going on behind the scenes, so I got angry and did argue, but only to the ones leaving nasty stuff on my post! Mostly the ones in the chatroom!  The only reason I would speak of google and web searches was their were many ways to cycle with ammonia.. Doin it the way I did I am sure made my cycle stronger!  So no big deal!  It dosnt always take 6 weeks to cycle a tank, I would have cycled in 2 I believe If I had not of changed water and changed the broken filter and didnt use media out of the broken one!  It didnt fit though, so It basically started the cycle over, or a big setback! Do you guys at petco use biospira?  Probably since I called many stores looking for amonia and they all freaked out, no fish store cycles at least none of the ones I called? My cycle was on though after setting up and not geting a chance to add biospira and a fish since I was living at the hospital, within hours after the set up! Well, my hubby was at first because I was to sick to go!

I know I was told I havt done things right, like journal of my tank, like you have done. I am assuming that was part of what they meant!  I just get to invoved on internet to take the time for that. I am behind on so many aspects of my life its crazy!  Like now, its 1;30 am and thats early, so much to learn!  I enjoy it as well, learning all of this!  I want to get this right.  I write notes as well. I have one huge notebook filled and another one halfway!  I rarely go back through my notes really, so I shouldnt bother I guess. I have cut back on a lot of the note keeping.  I can always just google it again! 

I know everyone hates me in here.  ONly a few commented on my cycle finished and my fish, when I know lots of people saw it and you would think some of the people that helped along the way would have at least liked it!    

Do you live in Maryland?  My dad was from Baltimore!  I have 52 cousins up there!  I was in Glen burnie a couple of years back.  We went back up there 3 times after I reconnected with my cousins in Maryland thanks to facebook! I have so many great memories of spending summer and xmas vacation up there every year until I was 13 and my dad died.  So it was amazingg to see them all again and I still had a few aunts and uncles left.  They have since passed.

I know inappropriate reefer is from Maryland as well.  

I sure hope you dont take this wrong and I hope no one gets mad at me, and thinks I am not letting it go.  I have thought of starting over and changing my name. They would recognize my backsplash or counters in my kitchen or something though...lol Whenever I google a question I will see responses from this room..Its funny.  Anything I want o know from this room just google the question and someone else has asked it in here!

I will read and follow you journey more and one day i will do that on mine. I am not even sure I know how though!  I dont go on here often at all.  When things slow down I will, if I can gain acceptance in here!  

10 minutes ago, Tired said:

Planted tanks can go a long time without water changes, but planted tanks with potting soil substrate should NOT be compared to other aquariums in that aspect. The rapid plant growth uses up the nitrates that the water changes are used to remove. 

Visible cleanliness is a bad indicator of when to do a water change. You do a water change when nitrates are too high, and water clarity doesn't tell you about that. Hell, you could have perfectly clear water that has lethal levels of ammonia in it. Remember- vodka is clear, too. 

Good that you know about the air for the betta. They have a labyrinth organ, which they can use to process oxygen from air, and have to use it occasionally to keep it healthy. 

haha.  Vodka is clear too!   funny but true!  I did not know that about planted tanks.  At the time I wanted plastic.  I was looking at pics I think of them. Of the biorb that had a rounded front and beautiful kits.   The first one I had was a halfmoon with the rounded front.  So I wanted it to look like those kits and the rounded front really made things appear bigger and beautiful from the pics on amazon I think it was. It has alot of colors that go with my kitchen red and olive green.   I took it back though and was going to get the 10 gallon one like that, but It was a little to tall to go under my counter.  

I didnt realize that planted is less frequent water changes. I think I will go planted!  I bought a 10 gallon ascend.  Nice tank and hides water line.  I could do a 10 gallon planted easily!  I could use low light plants.  Do you need the co2 and all that kind of stuff?  I dont have much time to research this..haha.  To busy with salt water one.   I might just keep up the water changes for now until I am done figuring everything out and it becomes second nature...If that ever happens...I found a quicker way I may alternate with my water changes though instead of bringing in syphon and bucket and attempting to vacuum!  I just scooped out water and filled it with a spare container that I had rodi in and made it up in that and poured it in.  I have such a hard time vacuuming because the water comes out faster than I can vacuum. I watched a youtube of a guy doing it and pinching it off so next time that way!  I have been turkey basting left over food more often as well!  

Thanks for the tip!

5 hours ago, karen nation said:

How long have you had your Betta with no water change?  I think my first change was a month or maybe 3 weeks.  Its stayed sparling and clear but after that first one I have to d o one maybe every 2 weeks now.  I did read that was the norm though and in the beginning I was like WTF like why is my water staying so clean?  So I didnt bother.  I know cant go by looks in a saltwater though...lol.  Anyway, I have change decorations a few times, not everything though so maybe thats why.  My nerite snail sucks...actually he dosnt suck..hahaha Thats the problem.  I just got a mystery snail that kicks ass!

I just picked up a 10 gallon Aqueon ascent 1/2 price at petco!  I may move him in there.  I can only use stock lightning because of the lid.  I was hoping to change my 10 gallon SW to this.  I love it!  Its painted black in the back, and hides waterline!  I hate waterlines.  Thats why my betta has a rim and black lid can't fill to top because you know how they like to gulp air! I topped off my 10 gallon SW at the rim now, I am laying the lid from the aqueon across it until I upgrade my filter, Reason being is we have to go get either plexiglass or a piece of glass for a lid, and not sure where to make the cuts.  I have since found out I cant use for salt because it has black paint on lid so light wont shine through!  Bummer.  So maybe use for betta and get low light plants.  I wish I would have done that first but I needed to get him in a tank in a hurry, plus cant do much with plants in a 5 gallon, but my new one would be perfect for plants.  Cant decide If i should use dragonstone or driftwood!  What really sucks though is I spent all this money for the 5 gallon and all kinds of different fake decor!  It is cute, even though its fake:)

Filled it up Dec 28th.

It is a live plant tank though

MVIMG_20200203_114617.thumb.jpg.a848090f424b59bb01b2359eac925e5c.jpg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, karen nation said:

haha.  Vodka is clear too!   funny but true!  I did not know that about planted tanks.  At the time I wanted plastic.  I was looking at pics I think of them. Of the biorb that had a rounded front and beautiful kits.   The first one I had was a halfmoon with the rounded front.  So I wanted it to look like those kits and the rounded front really made things appear bigger and beautiful from the pics on amazon I think it was. It has alot of colors that go with my kitchen red and olive green.   I took it back though and was going to get the 10 gallon one like that, but It was a little to tall to go under my counter.  

I didnt realize that planted is less frequent water changes. I think I will go planted!  I bought a 10 gallon ascend.  Nice tank and hides water line.  I could do a 10 gallon planted easily!  I could use low light plants.  Do you need the co2 and all that kind of stuff?  I dont have much time to research this..haha.  To busy with salt water one.   I might just keep up the water changes for now until I am done figuring everything out and it becomes second nature...If that ever happens...I found a quicker way I may alternate with my water changes though instead of bringing in syphon and bucket and attempting to vacuum!  I just scooped out water and filled it with a spare container that I had rodi in and made it up in that and poured it in.  I have such a hard time vacuuming because the water comes out faster than I can vacuum. I watched a youtube of a guy doing it and pinching it off so next time that way!  I have been turkey basting left over food more often as well!  

Thanks for the tip!

My 15 Gallon freshwater hasn't had a water change in the last 3 months, I have to top up weekly and I fertilise the plants heavily

I dont use CO2 

• Like 1

Biospira can work. It's not necessarily completely wrong, it's just not an ideal way to do things when another, much more reliable source of bacteria (live rock) exists. Biospira can be in varying states of effectiveness depending on how much bacteria is in it, and even when it's in its prime, it doesn't bring any biodiversity- only bacteria. 

Some people in this thread have been far more rude than is needed. However, you also spent awhile not listening to advice, and continuing to do things when you needed to wait. This isn't a ridiculously long time, this is just a regular time. And it's kind of frustrating to keep giving a piece of advice (like, "don't do anything with the tank, let it cycle") and have someone completely ignore it. It doesn't excuse some of the behavior towards you, that helped nobody, but it does explain it. 

If your tank can handle ammonia, and winds up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates, your tank is cycled and you can add some hardy corals. If it can't handle ammonia, don't add anything. It's not a matter of waiting some arbitrary amount of time. Hell, I set my tank up and had coral in it the same day, because the coral came on the live rock, and because I used really good live rock that cycled my tank instantly. If you want an instant cycle, you could always buy some really biodiverse, pre-cycled live rock. If you don't do that, you'll have to wait. 

Planted tanks don't necessarily need CO2. However, if you're too busy to research, you might be too busy for a new tank. 

• Like 4

I don't want to argue ever again with you but if you go to page 1 of this endless thread, not 1 member but 2 told you to go ahead and use the Biospira........

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Thanks 1
DISQUALIFIED-QQ

@karen nationI believe it was this forum that revealed that Bio-Spira is in practice the same as Dr. Tim's. In fact Dr. Tim worked for Instant Ocean while working on his PhD on haline bacteria. Kinda lines up?

There's more than one way to do a reef tank. I chose something that I knew I can put together without burning a large hole in my wallet. There's still a hole to fill, but when I can get 20lbs of rock for $100 and it's just another $15 for bacteria. I'll cheese my way through. For what it's worth whatever CFU was left in that bottle after on the shelf for how long had more than enough to eat a whole silverside I left in the tank for a week while I was back at home in California for the CNY.

For me YouTube is a vehicle of info that is digestible. If I want something that is a little more eloquent and technical I do have pathways to read actual research documentation. Just speaking from my experience, it helps looking into what the bigger brains know. It also helps explain what us tiny people are experiencing. There is a small abridged bibliography of my research content I looked into for The Ryukyu Shallows.

Yep, I do sell Bio-Spira, and I get a 20% discount for being a Petco employee.

I actually just sat in my living room and created a giant thought experiment. I'm a pretty visual person so I was literally coloring my brain what a reef tank would cycle through. So yes my aquarium existed before the New Year, but it was literally a twinkle in my eye. A physical water box didn't manifest until 3 weeks ago from this forum reply. I'm in week 4 and I just put in a Fungia  and Lobophytum. Not going to lie this is probably the most nervous step because I'm starting with a soft and stony coral outright. but I bought them because I knew I can take care of them. If I don't actually buy corals then I'd end up lying to the forum altogether. Nobody wants that.

Perhaps how I'm doing things is a little more accelerated, but that's because I had a lot of time thinking and planning and actually researching. I also have a lot of training in more serious backgrounds at work and volunteering. Nonetheless we all got to start somewhere. I started with a 10 gallon kit and a handful of zebra danios. I'm glad that the progression has gotten me to this point. I only want to grow and become a better caretaker (and dear God can some public aquarium hire me yet?)

(More directed to everyone, it would be helpful if we redirected the FW/Planted conversations to a different forum post. There's a lot to unpack as we're trying to round all the bases.)

On 2/10/2020 at 1:08 AM, karen nation said:

I bet half or more of the community has been lurking on my post!  Haha.  How the hell did I catch so much shit? 

Please dont take this wrong.....But  You seem to have done what I was doing and yet, you havnt caught the shit I did!    You started with Biospira.  Thats a big No No in here!  Thats what I meant by my post..instant cycle.  I worded it wrong!  I was sick, my hubby comes home with the water, I thought i could add Biospiria and corals, like inappropriate reefer did !  I have followed his series!  (another big no no in here, I was called mrs youtube)I Have same gear, same tank..made it rimless...Petco 1.00 a gallon special!  haha.   Speaking of petco..... I went to return stuff...so much cheaper on amazon and I found a Aqueon ascend for 1/2 off!  Kudos to petsmart on that!  Your store is run so differently than most!  I have only bought supplies and a nerite snail!  Funny thing is they call themselves aquatic specialists and they dont know a tetra from a molly!  They wont advise against putting betta's in a bowl..people see them in bowls and think its okay.. and dont do their homework.  I didnt leave my computer for 2 weeks with a bad back doing homework, as I was house bound basically.   I still live on this computer ... I used to watch tv with my hubby at night!  Not anymore.,

Inapropriate reefer, did a long cycle (man did he have algae) then added corals right away, granted frags from his big tank so he knows what he is doing!  As many others I have followed on youtube.  Susan Nichols!  mile high reefers, mass aquariums, madhatter reef, brs, saltwater aquarium,  oh, love Than from Tidal gardens (watched probably all his on corals)   so many more that i cant remember all their names. I was made fun off and seem to offend some people that I watched and learned from them. Well, these are people with a lot of tanks and knowledge.. One guy was a newbie I think.. that made a video, filled with corals in less than a month! I figure If he can do it I can, I used to think like that anyway.   My searches was usually something like"setting up a ten gallon coral reef"Not to mention I watched just everything like Brock Leonard who does fish species spotlight videos.  I love me some youtubes...lol  

Didnt you say that you got your tank and left with a bottle of biospira in dec and had corals by january? I would be blasted and called every name in the book! I havnt bought a coral at all, since the live sale!  I will more than likely get refunded my money.  I hope not but I probaly lost out on the 1,000.00 coral which was even dumber of me..and they think everything else I did was idiotic! I am being so patient its ridiculous. I have 2 lights.. current orbit, and the hipagaro (also inappropriate reefer) and havnt hooked up yet.  I go to coral shops and can leave with 5.00 zoa's 10 buck acans, duncans, candy canes...ect.  I am afraid to for one thing because I will be called stupid if I do.  I also figure I have waited this long may as well, give it 6 weeks.  I dont think I will wait longer than that though to get a few softies!  I care to much what others think of me I guess!  I know some people have said I ddint take their advise and I argued but they didnt know what was going on behind the scenes, so I got angry and did argue, but only to the ones leaving nasty stuff on my post! Mostly the ones in the chatroom!  The only reason I would speak of google and web searches was their were many ways to cycle with ammonia.. Doin it the way I did I am sure made my cycle stronger!  So no big deal!  It dosnt always take 6 weeks to cycle a tank, I would have cycled in 2 I believe If I had not of changed water and changed the broken filter and didnt use media out of the broken one!  It didnt fit though, so It basically started the cycle over, or a big setback! Do you guys at petco use biospira?  Probably since I called many stores looking for amonia and they all freaked out, no fish store cycles at least none of the ones I called? My cycle was on though after setting up and not geting a chance to add biospira and a fish since I was living at the hospital, within hours after the set up! Well, my hubby was at first because I was to sick to go!

I know I was told I havt done things right, like journal of my tank, like you have done. I am assuming that was part of what they meant!  I just get to invoved on internet to take the time for that. I am behind on so many aspects of my life its crazy!  Like now, its 1;30 am and thats early, so much to learn!  I enjoy it as well, learning all of this!  I want to get this right.  I write notes as well. I have one huge notebook filled and another one halfway!  I rarely go back through my notes really, so I shouldnt bother I guess. I have cut back on a lot of the note keeping.  I can always just google it again! 

I know everyone hates me in here.  ONly a few commented on my cycle finished and my fish, when I know lots of people saw it and you would think some of the people that helped along the way would have at least liked it!    

Do you live in Maryland?  My dad was from Baltimore!  I have 52 cousins up there!  I was in Glen burnie a couple of years back.  We went back up there 3 times after I reconnected with my cousins in Maryland thanks to facebook! I have so many great memories of spending summer and xmas vacation up there every year until I was 13 and my dad died.  So it was amazingg to see them all again and I still had a few aunts and uncles left.  They have since passed.

I know inappropriate reefer is from Maryland as well.  

I sure hope you dont take this wrong and I hope no one gets mad at me, and thinks I am not letting it go.  I have thought of starting over and changing my name. They would recognize my backsplash or counters in my kitchen or something though...lol Whenever I google a question I will see responses from this room..Its funny.  Anything I want o know from this room just google the question and someone else has asked it in here!

I will read and follow you journey more and one day i will do that on mine. I am not even sure I know how though!  I dont go on here often at all.  When things slow down I will, if I can gain acceptance in here!  

Hi Karen, I’m glad you and your son are feeling better!

What I’ve learned from this hobby is there are quite  a few passionate people with very strong opinions on husbandry techniques. For me, when I started years ago the best approach for me was to gather as much information from others and then formulate my  own opinion and method of caring for aquatic life.

A few facts that are inevitable:

You will make mistakes

You will get frustrated

You may even fail sometimes.

But if you stick to it eventually you will experience some level of  success.

I’ve seen a lot of information and opinions given by a ton of people on this thread(which is great). Some I agree with, others not so much. The most important thing to remember throughout this process is: this is YOUR tank! You call the shots,;) At the end of the day, it’s what you think that matters.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 5:14 AM, Tamberav said:

Filled it up Dec 28th.

It is a live plant tank though

MVIMG_20200203_114617.thumb.jpg.a848090f424b59bb01b2359eac925e5c.jpg

Nice!  I went out and bought an aqueon ascend 10 gallon.  On clearance for 50 bucks at petco.  I was going to turn my betta into a planted.  You wouldnt believe what happened.  I have the SW tank push tight to the back wall in this corner cut out in my kitchen, some dumb reason my hubby slides the aqua clear filter over and cracks the back of the tank!  Thin glass aqueon basic tanks.  I made it rimless so it looked nice but super thin!  Thank God I had  just bought the other tank, so there went my planted tank plans.  Unless i decide to not keep the 10 gallon when I upgrade, then maybe I will make it planted.  I more than likely will keep my SW in the kitchen though but good thing we had it on hand! 

I got a new snail that kicks ass!  A mystery snail!  My nerite barely moved.  This new snail is all over the place and I dont have to turkey baste any leftovers now.  yay!  He has it sparking clean!

On 2/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Jmevox said:

I don't want to argue ever again with you but if you go to page 1 of this endless thread, not 1 member but 2 told you to go ahead and use the Biospira........

I know a few did!  But overwhelming most did not agree and said that was rushing it!

On 2/10/2020 at 1:26 PM, Tired said:

Biospira can work. It's not necessarily completely wrong, it's just not an ideal way to do things when another, much more reliable source of bacteria (live rock) exists. Biospira can be in varying states of effectiveness depending on how much bacteria is in it, and even when it's in its prime, it doesn't bring any biodiversity- only bacteria. 

Some people in this thread have been far more rude than is needed. However, you also spent awhile not listening to advice, and continuing to do things when you needed to wait. This isn't a ridiculously long time, this is just a regular time. And it's kind of frustrating to keep giving a piece of advice (like, "don't do anything with the tank, let it cycle") and have someone completely ignore it. It doesn't excuse some of the behavior towards you, that helped nobody, but it does explain it. 

If your tank can handle ammonia, and winds up with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrates, your tank is cycled and you can add some hardy corals. If it can't handle ammonia, don't add anything. It's not a matter of waiting some arbitrary amount of time. Hell, I set my tank up and had coral in it the same day, because the coral came on the live rock, and because I used really good live rock that cycled my tank instantly. If you want an instant cycle, you could always buy some really biodiverse, pre-cycled live rock. If you don't do that, you'll have to wait. 

Planted tanks don't necessarily need CO2. However, if you're too busy to research, you might be too busy for a new tank. 

I guess I didnt follow some advice, you're right.  I just read to add amonia but maybe it was the way I pulled up the search...But I just keep reading it over and over again so I added it maybe 2 times... No biggie.  Its all in the past!  You know I left a post about fish a while back when I was still cycling.  Someone went on and left another mean comment the other day and called me a troller!  Then I got a troll meme after that!  People just wont let it go!  I dont even go in here and thats why it takes so long for me to reply because I am scared of what I may see.  I ignored the guy that called me a troller, he did throw in a few acceptable paragraphs before that but the other person with the meme.  I think I replied "grow the hell up"!  Its crazy because I thought all that drama was over!   Just really some mean hateful people in here! Lots like yourself have been nice and helpful and I appreciate that so much! 

As far as my SW I have a new clown and they have paired up!  So cool to see, I was a little worried it wouldnt happen.  I wanted to add 2 at the same time because I know that is recommended but I was fearful of the backlash I might get!  Seems I am heavily judged.   

All my parameters are good but my ph is usually around 7.9.  I am considering adding kalkwasser or something, or try to bring up my alkalinity, but just going to leave it alone for now.  It may have gone up since I added the wavemaker but my hanna checker is not calibrated and hard to tell the shade of purple really when I am only looking to get it up to at least 8 with fish only then Ideally 8.3 when I add corals.  Still dont have any. I am going to wait the 6 weeks after cycling which is in maybe a week or 2!  I have not had one speck of algae though, so things are doing very very well.

I did have a scare with my clown when I filled my water to the tip top.  I hate waterlines and it rimless!  When I did that it seriously affected the flow and the oxygen, so he was panting and losing color... I would have went in here but I didnt know if anyone would want to help me, so I just googled what the hell it could be, then I realized the lack of circulation had effected my oxygenation.  I quickly took out the water and revived him basically after doing that and adding the wavemaker and turning on lights.  He was about and swimming in no time! Whew!

Your right about researching a planted tank!  I am up all night anyway, haha,  I am so addicted to this its crazy!  I am also going through used aquariums and messaging people and so much.  All that takes alot of time.  Then I went back to researching fish ect..haha.  raising ph, then I will just trail off from one thing to another so much to learn.  I haven't even got into whats ahead of me when I add the corals and dosing and all!  You know when I started this hobby I was suffering severe anxiety, depression and even panic attacks, Possibly had a nervous breakdown about 6 months ago mainly due to my sons health, his prognosis is not good and I have lost one kid already.  I live on the edge with him constantly, not knowing when I will have to rush him back to hospital, I am also dealing with constant pain but this hobby has helped me so much to come out off all that, except those few days when all shit hit the fan!

I did buy that aqueon acend in hopes of making a planted tank but that was going to be in the future. I Just picked it up because it was on clearance half off.  God thing I did because my tank cracked so we had to put that one in use!

If I decide to tear it down when I upgrade I may put it to use for that but probably keep it in my kitchen as a reef tank as well.  Definitely have to get a rodi, or looking into a sump and protein skimmer for the larger one because water changes alone on both will eat you alive otherwise!  LOL

On 2/11/2020 at 2:59 PM, Joboo said:

Hi Karen, I’m glad you and your son are feeling better!

What I’ve learned from this hobby is there are quite  a few passionate people with very strong opinions on husbandry techniques. For me, when I started years ago the best approach for me was to gather as much information from others and then formulate my  own opinion and method of caring for aquatic life.

A few facts that are inevitable:

You will make mistakes

You will get frustrated

You may even fail sometimes.

But if you stick to it eventually you will experience some level of  success.

I’ve seen a lot of information and opinions given by a ton of people on this thread(which is great). Some I agree with, others not so much. The most important thing to remember throughout this process is: this is YOUR tank! You call the shots,;) At the end of the day, it’s what you think that matters.

AMEN to that and a high five!  I was beginning to feel like this wasnt my tank!  Its crazy!  I was exactly doin what you said!  Gathering opinions and I do feel I have learned alot since that first post that has gone on for months.  This post!  Its crazy!  I canceled my corals and let a 1,000.00 torch go.  Thank God they never saw my email or responded.  I had been letting it go, because thy never posted a pic until recently of this supposed torch of the gods but when they finally did I was kicking myself because it was a holy grail!  I mean who does something that stupid. I dont know why I let people get to me and I am very sensitive.  I cant say that it was everyone's fault on here but it was the fact I was living in a hospital with my son very very sick and couldnt get out to find a lfs to store my corals and once I did the 2 week time frame had past, not to mention.  I think they might have been closed through the 2nd!  Anyway, so much of everyones opinion has effected my choices, like for instance I wanted to get 2 clowns because thats whats recommended but..2 reasons why I didnt.  Everyone kept saying I wasnt cycled and my color showed I had ammonia in it.  I was assured by 2 lfs that I was ready and my kit but just in case everyone was right on here. I didnt want to risk 2 fishes lives, and I also was afraid of the backlash and people saying you should only add one at a time!  LOL Then I come on and say I got one and people say why didn't you get two...lol Go figure!

You are so right as well, I am sure I am not the first person to make some mistakes but when I put my heart into something I go full on!  I may not know as much as the seasoned people in here from experience but I bet I know as much as they did if not more for the short time I have been involved. I rarely do live in this chair reading and researching, youtubes ectt.. I do enjoy it as well.  I am disabled so I spend alot of time at home so it passes the time.  If you think what you read here was harsh you should have heard the vulgar sexual shit they were all spewing at me in that shit talk bar and grill chat!  These people live in that room, talking shit about everyone!

I had thought it was over and It started back again last night with one calling me a troller and someone sending me a trolling meme, out of no where for no reason!   I had not been on in weeks because I fear what I might see! 

Thanks so much for this.   It means alot to see that someone understands where I am coing from.  Another funny thing I noticed in the beginning I had quite a few followers and now I have none. I almost feel I have to change my name and live a lie to get aceptance in here!

Appreciate the kind words about my son and myself, he was doing better but his cough is back and he has aspirated a few times so I am sure he will either be back in the hospital or antibiotics very soon.  Keeping fingers crossed!  This has been going on since 2016 but with about a year break and now staritng back again for about over a year and a half!

1 minute ago, karen nation said:

I had thought it was over and It started back again last night with one calling me a troller and someone sending me a trolling meme, out of no where for no reason!   I had not been on in weeks because I fear what I might see! 

I almost feel I have to change my name and live a lie to get aceptance in here!

Said before, I'll say again...

If you want to move on, YOU have to stop bringing it up! 

So many have tried to help you but you chose to ignore the good advice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
On 2/10/2020 at 6:59 PM, Diamonds x Pearls said:

@karen nationI believe it was this forum that revealed that Bio-Spira is in practice the same as Dr. Tim's. In fact Dr. Tim worked for Instant Ocean while working on his PhD on haline bacteria. Kinda lines up?

There's more than one way to do a reef tank. I chose something that I knew I can put together without burning a large hole in my wallet. There's still a hole to fill, but when I can get 20lbs of rock for $100 and it's just another $15 for bacteria. I'll cheese my way through. For what it's worth whatever CFU was left in that bottle after on the shelf for how long had more than enough to eat a whole silverside I left in the tank for a week while I was back at home in California for the CNY.

For me YouTube is a vehicle of info that is digestible. If I want something that is a little more eloquent and technical I do have pathways to read actual research documentation. Just speaking from my experience, it helps looking into what the bigger brains know. It also helps explain what us tiny people are experiencing. There is a small abridged bibliography of my research content I looked into for The Ryukyu Shallows.

Yep, I do sell Bio-Spira, and I get a 20% discount for being a Petco employee.

I actually just sat in my living room and created a giant thought experiment. I'm a pretty visual person so I was literally coloring my brain what a reef tank would cycle through. So yes my aquarium existed before the New Year, but it was literally a twinkle in my eye. A physical water box didn't manifest until 3 weeks ago from this forum reply. I'm in week 4 and I just put in a Fungia  and Lobophytum. Not going to lie this is probably the most nervous step because I'm starting with a soft and stony coral outright. but I bought them because I knew I can take care of them. If I don't actually buy corals then I'd end up lying to the forum altogether. Nobody wants that.

Perhaps how I'm doing things is a little more accelerated, but that's because I had a lot of time thinking and planning and actually researching. I also have a lot of training in more serious backgrounds at work and volunteering. Nonetheless we all got to start somewhere. I started with a 10 gallon kit and a handful of zebra danios. I'm glad that the progression has gotten me to this point. I only want to grow and become a better caretaker (and dear God can some public aquarium hire me yet?)

(More directed to everyone, it would be helpful if we redirected the FW/Planted conversations to a different forum post. There's a lot to unpack as we're trying to round all the bases.)

Oh No doubt you  know your shit.  I don't have any formal training in oceanography or a phd in chemistry or anything but believe me, I did my research and still on going.  I believe I have actually become addicted to this...lol.  I enjoy it and since I am disabled it gives me something to do with my life besides being a caretaker to my son!  Although now I am a fish caretaker but its all good! You followed this form and I hate to keep repeating myself because I mentioned this to everyone that has replied recently so Its all going to show on the end of this post, of me repeating myself but I dont know who reads what.   You saw alot of what happened and man it got a million times worse than whats on here for all to see.  If I were a real witch but with a b I could get so many people tossed for their behavior or banned for a while.  Of course they supstituued works like sit on my....  damn... cant remember the exact word.. but It was crazy disgusting and vulgar but I  ended up laughing at the end of it when I called her trailer park trash and she was saying good night, that she had a long day on the corner and working the night shift at McDonalds, so she was heading back to her trailer. haha THe gender jokes were funny to when they wanted to borrow others dildo to try out the new vavayjay or something like that ...lol Excuse my french..haha.  Its all good though. I just wish they would let it go but yesterday more of it for no reason!  Troller memes ect...

Hopefully one day they will let it go!  Its getting really old and played out!  They need to find a new victim to harass, and I have seen one person going at another when I googled a question and it takes me to different forums where the same question was asked and one of these people from the barroom chat was going after another, no one else who replied but him and he is one of the ones that attached me!

Someone else just said its my tank and in the end I can do what I choose to do, and I am just gathering opinions, and that is so true.  You can read back to that reply because I dont feel like typing it all again. lol  I spend way to much time worrying about what others think of me and let them dictate what i am going to do like I wanted to get two clowns instead of one but I feared the backlash from that!  I am off trying to figure out what to do about my ph being under 8, in spite of having plenty flow!

Also, there is a wealth of knowledge in this room thats for sure and also youtube, but there are some youtubers that are a joke, but overwhelming the ones making them such as inappropriate reefer who you mention know their shit! I had the same tank as him but made it rimless,(mine cracked like his as well)light but just returned it for a current orbit, because it wont fit on my new aquarium plus like the programmability of it! I also have the same filter but not the 70 I have 30 and 50.  I was going to move up to 50 and have it on now, but I think flow is to strong with the wavemaker and its so oversized for a 10 its ridiculous.  He doesn't use a wavemaker for that reason, but since I hooked it up I have discovered they love to play in the flow! So funny.  They swim up to it, then stop swimming and it throws them back so then they will do it over again.  Cute little game they have!  

I think I may get a coral or two next weekend.  I think it will be 6 weeks since cycled.  Cant wait to add some, thats when things start to become real, and might start with algae issues, I always keep my light not so bright but i will have to turn it up for corth growth!  Lobo's are nice corals, if thats what I am thinking it is.  Big sort of acanish or brain coral nut bigger folds.  Havent seen any of those around my area.  Lots of corals here but most of the shops dont label them and I hate that beacuse the have tons of them and just sorted by price and its hard to tell so many corals, just a slab of something on a frag, some are easy to identify though when they arent the slab type.  I think I am going to start with a gorgonian and a leather coral, Then after that I know a place that has duncans and acans for 10 bucks a frag and some frags have up to 3 heads!

2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Said before, I'll say again...

If you want to move on, YOU have to stop bringing it up! 

So many have tried to help you but you chose to ignore the good advice.

You are confused!  I have not brought it up until last night I had someone call me a troll ( I ignored it and didnt even respond to him) then got a troll meme. I said to her to get a life or some shit!  I AM NOT THE ONE BRINGING IT UP!!   I was replying back to them bringing it up in a nice way though unlike you! I didn't say a word to you about it when you asked about light because you didin bring it up.  Go  back and read every single reply, I only bring it up to reply back to others than mention it!  Just like you just did!  May I ask why? Why did you feel you needed to tell me that I ignored good advice?  Like I havnt heard that a time or two maybe a million! For Gods sake can you get over that?  Please do not bring this up to me again!  Funny how you choose to quote my reply that they wont let it go but yet you didnt put in the part where it was brought up yet again and I was replying back!   I have taken some advise and some I didnt!  One person said to me.  Its your tank and you have the right to do what you want, but basically everything I have done since this all blew up was what yall want!  Like only getting one fish, when clowns do better when added together! If you or anyone is going to get that upset when someone dosnt take your advise then you shouldnt give it!  There are many ways to cycle a tank with ammonia!  It also did not take 6 weeks minimum like you said it would!!! You wouldnt let that go so seems I knew more than you. I could read the signs that I was close!  

Every thing you have ever said to me has been very cold and blunt!  Not one kind word form you! "Why is your light not on"  That aint zero ammonia"  Yes  infact it was and added my fish right after.  You are one of the ones that have it out for me.  Not one nice thing to say when I answered you very nicely, gave you a few  ...lol"s and all but you cant resist stirring the pot!  Everyone has been pretty nice tonight but you!   Last night the memes and all were on the other post that I was attacked again by a few people because I enquired about fish!   I was accused of adding all those fish before it was even cycled as well.  That was in the barroom that I was tagged from so you would not have seen that! People reading this post didn't know what went on behind the scenes and many still say that it was uncalled for! I also did take some advise and am only adding 3 fish and not 4.  My clown is about an inch and a 1/4 the other tad bigger and the yellow clown goby is less than an inch, so my ten gallon can handle that! I will probably move my clowns later as well!  I hope people dont say I idnt take their advise because I am not upgrading right now like they are saying I should do.  I am not going to tear down a tank that I have put so much into and start another at this present moment! !  I am also in the learning process so I dont want two tanks to be leaning on so I will set that up in 6 months maybe xmas time since I want to get a bigger one than what I bought and blackfriday has some insane deals.  I hubby got the 45 gallon for 135.00 I think black friday!  I am not going to drill it and all that is involved with adding sumps, refugiums,protein skimmers ect and deal with all that, not to mention the expense! Learning all that info when I need to be concentrating on learning how to care for my corals I am getting soon and not all that! I am also dealing with my sons health on top of it all so I have a lot on my plate! Please stay off of my post unless you have something positive to say!  Thank you!

2 hours ago, IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut said:

I would like to know your WPM

2 and yours?

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, karen nation said:

You are confused! 

Please stay off of my post unless you have something positive to say! 

I am POSITIVE I am not confused. 

I am POSITIVE you don't know what "short and sweet" means. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic