Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Old School skimmer

dling

I'm currently using a ES5-3 Skimmer ( Euroreef ) . It's been out of production for many

years. Not sure if any if you remember it My skimmer was top of the line in it's day.

My question is how much better are skimmers now then they where 20 yrs ago?

I mean, if it has a valve to control chamber-height, a silencer, and a valve to control air-intake you've still got a top-of-the-line modern skimmer. There's not a ton of room to improve on the tech, nor do you really need something state-of-the-art to do the same job a tapered-glass bottle and airstone can do 24-hours a day.
IME/IMO, also I wouldn't expect anything more modern to last 20 years XD 
Oh one exception, nano-skimmers have gotten allot better.

2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

nano-skimmers have gotten allot better.

Ive been out of the hobby for 5-6 years and have started my Bio Cube 29 back up. Back then I tried the small skinners but found them to be VERY ineffective. You mention advancement in this space and wondering if you could provide a specific nano skimmer that works well these days?

40 minutes ago, Joboo said:

Ive been out of the hobby for 5-6 years and have started my Bio Cube 29 back up. Back then I tried the small skinners but found them to be VERY ineffective. You mention advancement in this space and wondering if you could provide a specific nano skimmer that works well these days?

Reef octopus,  Eshopps maybe? (depends on who you ask), Tunze 9000 series, Icecap K1, Heard decent things about the Hydors and IM ghost.
An inverted glass-bottle with an airstone, Pvc and a funnel XD

You can make a Silencer out of a pill bottle and a couple pieces of rigid air line. Drill a hole in the cap and in the bottle, insert rigid tubing and connect your air intake. 

Another thing you can do is drill a hole about a half to three-quarters of an inch from the top of your Skimmer top, insert a fitting or short piece of rigid tubing, and connect you Air Tube to this, if the Skimmer gets carried away the Skimmer action will slowdown or stop. 

15 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

You can make a Silencer out of a pill bottle and a couple pieces of rigid air line. Drill a hole in the cap and in the bottle, insert rigid tubing and connect your air intake. 

Another thing you can do is drill a hole about a half to three-quarters of an inch from the top of your Skimmer top, insert a fitting or short piece of rigid tubing, and connect you Air Tube to this, if the Skimmer gets carried away the Skimmer action will slowdown or stop. 

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2019 at 10:57 AM, dling said:

I'm currently using a ES5-3 Skimmer ( Euroreef ) . It's been out of production for many

years. Not sure if any if you remember it My skimmer was top of the line in it's day.

My question is how much better are skimmers now then they where 20 yrs ago?

Not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You don't need a silencer on a Euroreef. (to OP - young 'uns, amiright? lol) What size tank are you looking at? I just gave away a large Euroreef (with another purchase) because I just will never have the tank for it anymore and it needed resealing but a Euroreef will last you forever and IMO - and I have had a shi*t load of skimmers of many brands - you can find something as good as your Euroreef now, where as back in the day you could never find anything that came even close to it, but you wouldn't be replacing for improvement if you decide to replace, you'll just be getting something newer and likely smaller/more compact with the same performance level (IF you buy higher end - even many newer ones still aren't a Euroreef!).

Thanks. I know when I brought it new it was top of the line as far as skimmers went. It's still working good.

It's hard to get parts for it like the foam for the discharge tube now. I have a filter sock over the tube.

• Like 1