Coral Vue Hydros

Barebones 20H Reef Tank

Steemax

1 minute ago, mfield16 said:

What about a NanoBox? I love mine. I've only had it a week, but it's great. 

I am guessing you a recommending the duo for a 20H?  The $475 price tag is more than I wanted spend on a light at the moment.

Forgot to post this. While dropping the shrimp off not looking to buy anything I saw this small green nepthea and just had to have it. Not too bad of a pickup for $25. They go for a bit more online.

20200213_192233.thumb.jpg.3a5c62a26a4186fae8898aa65ce4ce8f.jpg

Update on the elegance. It's doing great. Here's a pic after it finished eating up some mysis. 

20200213_192249.thumb.jpg.2d0d2dd5e367c60600f1a6d835e1e544.jpg

Some other thoughts. I don't know what to do about my clownfish. After two months they still haven't paired. The bigger one is very aggressive and constantly attacking the smaller one. The smaller one has been doing the submission dance since the beginning but the big one does not care the slightest bit. The small one can hold its own for now. It attacked back last night for the first time and now the bigger clown has an obvious wound under it's eye but still continues to bully.

• Like 2

So i've completely underestimated the size of this elegance coral. At the LFS it was half this size and I thought that was it's full size. The longer it spends in my tank the bigger and bigger it opens day by day. Gonna be a struggle to contain it if it starts growing. 

20200217_203302.thumb.jpg.60977e4e9892e9b6b0e6591954952e95.jpg20200217_203246.thumb.jpg.41a22a352977ad0146ea5ea56988fd35.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 2

The elegance will grow somewhat but it should be fine, it will eat snails tho lol.

Aussie elegances are a lot more hardy than the Indo varieties which is what people always had problems with, such a nice coral.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 10001110101 said:

The elegance will grow somewhat but it should be fine, it will eat snails tho lol.

Aussie elegances are a lot more hardy than the Indo varieties which is what people always had problems with, such a nice coral.

One of the reasons I did go for the Australian variant. I was worried about getting an indo. So far so good though, no snails gone 😅

12 minutes ago, mfield16 said:

It's beautiful. Do they really get 12"? I just read that. Crazy.

Thanks! I guess they do eventually. I really hope it grows slow or i'll be in trouble. There's another 2 years before I'm moved and have a large tank. 

26 minutes ago, mfield16 said:

It's beautiful. Do they really get 12"? I just read that. Crazy.

They can get larger than that, given enough time they can take-up the bulk of even decent-sized systems, they just seem to be very-slow at building up their skeleton and growing new-heads -for some- in captivity. That said some hobbyists and distributors have had success fragging the cone-based variants so there must be a trick to it ,or perhaps they just need to be left-along to get old and large-enough lol.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2519722

• Wow 1

Small update... took the crazy rage induced clown back to the LFS, they let me exchange her for another one. I picked out a wild one this time in hopes it would have a better chance at hosting the anemone.... so what happens when I put it in the tank? With my luck it completely ignores the anemone and goes for the hammer 😪

Also got one of those flipper magnifiers, wow these are fun to use. Along with that got magnetic frag rock that takes a single frag. Contemplating on what I want to put on it. Placed it on the back wall for now. 

20200219_173316.thumb.jpg.00993b40296a2f8a1be21df354d016e0.jpg20200219_172356.thumb.jpg.36fc7f345e4d42c6b50e3919500c01d2.jpg20200219_172419.thumb.jpg.636fc29ef128276325b3d5c7502bc092.jpg

hosting is a dynamic process, it can take a while, my experience they go for whatever has the longest tentacles in the lowest flow area, if there’s a bubble tip in there they will host it eventually in my experience

dont try to force it just keep the fish happy and eventually it will find its way

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, 10001110101 said:

hosting is a dynamic process, it can take a while, my experience they go for whatever has the longest tentacles in the lowest flow area, if there’s a bubble tip in there they will host it eventually in my experience

dont try to force it just keep the fish happy and eventually it will find its way

I suppose so, nothing I can do about it as long as they aren't bugging the hammer. So far it seems un-phased by the clown.

5 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Could always try the whole "picture of hosting clowns stuck to the side of the tank" trick.

That just seems so ridiculous to me. Like one big joke someone made up a long time ago and to this day no ones sure if it was a joke to begin with. 🤣

But why not, it's harmless to try. 

IHaveADegreeInMarineBioBut
11 minutes ago, Steemax said:

That just seems so ridiculous to me. Like one big joke someone made up a long time ago and to this day no ones sure if it was a joke to begin with. 🤣

But why not, it's harmless to try. 

Ridiculous in the fact that it's 2020; turn that picture into a 24 hr youtube loop 😉 

• Haha 3

In honor of passing 2 months and being bored I put together another short clip. You may notice a few things have moved. This was due to necessity. BTA likes to play tag 🙄.

• Like 1

I love your last video, your tank is really looking great, I love those wavy LPS/Euphyllia/Anemone tanks with tentacles flowing  all over, your flow looks pretty dialed in as well for your corals.  LOVE your elegance.

The tank is going to fill out nicely over the next 6 months.

8 minutes ago, 10001110101 said:

I love your last video, your tank is really looking great, I love those wavy LPS/Euphyllia/Anemone tanks with tentacles flowing  all over, your flow looks pretty dialed in as well for your corals.  LOVE your elegance.

The tank is going to fill out nicely over the next 6 months.

Thanks! LPS, softies and anemones have always been my favorite because of the movement. It's more relaxing to watch for me. I respect the difficulty and colors you get from SPS but I prefer more motion in the tank. The elegance is definitely a beast!

It finally happened.... Walked into the room and just see the new "wild" clown in the anemone. My other captive bred clown is completely oblivious to it. I'm so happy and I didn't have to try to force it. 

20200223_144832.thumb.jpg.54533602d9f918a48575520d0540a92b.jpg

• Like 2

Newest acquisition from today's LFS shipment day. Plate coral, picture is 2 hours after introducing it to the tank. The only other coral remaining on my wish list is a torch coral. I've been waiting for the right one to come up. I'll be patient with that one. 

20200223_180921.thumb.jpg.e6f2fe27c3abe6a850f535f076e4e1a3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Had my first "oh sh*t" moment last night. Wife woke me up to the sound of an alarm going off. I had no idea what it was. Got up to see its the ATO. I noticed the water line was slightly higher than usual but not by much. Upon closer inspection one of my snails had covered the entire sensor. Thankfully the safety features functioned properly. I need to figure out a way to secure that sensor better. I thought I had it in a good area but I guess not. 🤔