SaltCritters.com

Questions for first reef jar.

B4tn

I really like the simplicity of the reef jar concept and have started gathering stuff to build one for my dining room Corner.   As is the basement is mine. It houses my little man cave and my 75 gallon mixed reef. Anything above the basement is my wife’s domain! So whatever I do it has to look nice lol. She loves how pretty the reef jar looks but it can’t look like a science project. 

That being said, I have an ABI PAR38 arriving Monday. I picked up a 2 gallon cookie jar from target tonight.  I have had some rocks and sand in a tub cycling in my sump for a few weeks now.  Additionally I have a water change station in the garage so I always have about 20 gallons of saltwater mixed and on hand. So the questions..

Im thinking about trying to drill a hole in the side of the cookie jar lip so the lid sits flush. How are others fitting a cookie jar lid with cables and airline running in the tank?

Does the knob on the cookie jar lid cause any strange lighting issues?  

Im having a hard time deciding on an air pump. I’m thinkIng since I would like to have some easy SPS I should get a large air pump and a dial to fine tune it. Most of the large pumps have dual lines though. What’s the recommended size? Are you all running more than one airline?

speaking of airline, I understand most have best results without an air stone. Where are you all directing the output of the air line? 

We keep our house pretty cool. Ambient temp is 67-69 all times of the year so I’m going to need a heater. I’m really trying to keep cost down (just bought new lights for the main tank *ouch*). The neotherm 50watt seems to be a reliable choice or an inkbird and a cheap always on heater. Regardless I’m looking around $50 which will probably be the most expensive part of the build. Do I have any other options? 

• Like 1

I ran a small fountain pump in my jar instead of air line. I tried the air hose but preferred the  fountain pump.

I used a Tetra heater in mine which does turn off when the heater hits 78. I-ve used 2 of these and still do in my pico's, they've been great

I didn't drill a hole so there was a tiny gap in the lid where the wires hung out.

MainelyReefer

Go air pump! I recommend getting this cobalt aquatics one

Cobalt Aquatics DC USB Rechargeable Air Pumps (DC USB Single Output Air Pump) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRDJ3TG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_x0ZbEbNYSBF4C

it will keep running for 24hrs after a power outage and if you wanted to get crazy there is a dual output version.  I run the single on my reefbowl and the double on my dropoff.  If going SPS maybe the dual output!  If going the air pump route it would be best if coupled with either a lift pipe or undergravel filter(lee’s makes a small 4” round model that would be perfect for a cookie jar). The airline just sets inside the lift pipe and contains the rising bubbles which creates draw from the bottom of the pipe.  
Heater wise I like the cobalt aquatics mini therm coupled with the cobalt aquatics neo stat.  This allows you to get the reliability and unbreakable quality of a cobalt heater with a more properly sized heating element for your jar.  I also use the archaea mini aquarium heater  that was recommended a lot during one of our competitions and find its thermostat to be failing and I have to keep cranking it up so maybe pass on that one haha.

some drill the lid, others line it with a soft pliable tube sliced lengthwise so it slips onto the rim of the lid, a small gap is left with out the tube liner and this is where the wires/tubing sneaks through.  Or drill it, or add a thick layer of aquarium silicone to 95% of the lid and leave a small portion as an equipment chase.  You will want the lid to be as sealed as possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply’s. I ended up picking up a tetra h-30 50watt heater and a tetra whisper 40 pump for $20 after coupons 🙂. I think this should hold me over for now but I really don’t trust heaters so will probably upgrade to the cobalt down the road. 

I will have to look into the UGF but if just dropping an air line in where is everyone directing the flow?  Center of the tank, on the edge? I’m thinking about putting in a T so I can do an air line in each side.