Coral Vue Hydros

Unknown Critter hiked his way into the DT

Azure Phoenix Reefing

Azure Phoenix Reefing

Hello fellow reefers, here I am again, this time with an unknown critter that hiked it's way into the display tank. I figure it came with either the Leptastrea or Torch coral I recently added. My first guess would be it is a baby serpentstar of some kind, however I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Apologies for the quality and blue color. Again, it was almost light out when I first noticed it and I had to zoom in quite a bit to have it in view. 

inCollage_20191227_204602272.thumb.jpg.5350fbaa968b1abce673acf0c20b388f.jpg

Azure Phoenix Reefing
On 12/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, Tired said:

Looks like probably the legs of a brittle or serpent star. Likely a micro brittle, may not get any larger than that. Harmless/helpful detritivores. 

Thanks a bunch! Did not know there are micro brittles. I think you're right too, because last night, after lights out, I figured I'd do a quick check to see if I could find it again...There were about 3 or 4 on the rocks, just as small and Wrigley! 😁

There seem to be a few species of micro brittles running around. The most common ones in the hobby are white, and get maybe 1.5" across, 2" for a real big one. My LFS has a blackish-brown kind that regularly gets a little over 2". They're completely harmless to nearly everything in your tank, though if you have a lot of them, it can wind up irritating your corals a bit with the legs. They won't overpopulate unless you massively overfeed, but it is possible. Harmless detritivores, that have the benefit of not being bristleworms full of bristles. Fun to watch, too. I guarantee you have more than you've seen, they're sneaky. Especially during the day.

• Like 1