SaltCritters.com

37 Gallon Extra-High FOWLR Tank!

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

Hey guys!

I already sorta made a thread about this over in the stocking forum, but I figured a proper build thread would be necessary at some point. So here we are!

The goal of this tank is to keep it simple and enjoy some fish. I feel like I tend to really get wrapped up in worrying about corals in my reefs, and I tend to get carried away with the "next thing" - a new frag, new lighting, better flow, etc... I don't want any of that in this tank! Right now, at least. I just want to really give these fish the attention that they deserve, and see how this tank ages and evolves.

I actually took a Top Fin 37 gallon kit and added a MJ1200 powerhead. That's legit the only thing I added equipment-wise - I think I'll be switching out the cheap HOB filter with an Aquaclear 110 at some point, and I'd like to use a Fluval heater instead of the Top Fin, but hey, it's working right now.

Equipment:

37 Gallon Extra-High Aquarium (30" long, 12" deep, 22" tall)

Top Fin HOB

Top Fin Heater

Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead

30-ish lbs of rock (some dead, some live)

Livestock:

3 Mollies (Basic, I know, but I enjoy them in a saltwater setting)

1 Blue Spotted Puffer

1 Yellow Clown Goby

3 Hermit Crabs

That's kind of it for now. Not much has been going on in here - just slowly adding to it and making sure I don't see any ammonia spikes or anything. The chunk of live rock was well-cured, and there's some well-cycled media in the filter, so I think I'll be okay with water parameters. I'm watching them like a hawk, though!

Future stocking plans are undecided - I had considered a pair of clowns, but after thinking about it, I don't know if I want them in here. What would you guys add? I had considered maybe a Cherub Angel, but I feel like a 30" tank might be on the small side for them.

I think I'll also be adding some more crabs. Shrimp and snails are a no-no - the puffer would eat them. He doesn't seem to bother crabs, though.

IMG_20191225_222309.thumb.jpg.b94b7267e3851924f375e27195c77c48.jpg

IMG_20191221_233432.thumb.jpg.d0154480735cfe1b39a1cfb03f67bcf0.jpg

IMG_20191224_115626_1.thumb.jpg.3b541617576575cac95cf0cd981abd9c.jpg