Innovative Marine Aquariums

Chemiclean and nems

Aleric

I have a huge Cyanobacteria problem that’s been going on for months now. I have done so many big and frequent water chances and daily syphoning and nothing seems to help. Chemiclean seems like the last resort solution... anyone have experience with the algae or does anyone know how the chemiclean could affect my anemone???

Have you tried less water changes? Sometimes the cure to cyanobacteria is letting other things get a foothold to outcompete it. Let your nitrates get up into detectable levels, let a variety of algaes start to grow, feed the pods that will often eat it. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2019 at 9:42 PM, Aleric said:

I have a huge Cyanobacteria problem that’s been going on for months now. I have done so many big and frequent water chances and daily syphoning and nothing seems to help. Chemiclean seems like the last resort solution... anyone have experience with the algae or does anyone know how the chemiclean could affect my anemone???

You're probably causing it and that's why it won't go away with "even more effort".

Like Tired said, less water changes, less cleaning, more nutrients (PO4 at least 0.10 ppm and NO3 at least 5-10 ppm) and you should be able to get normal algae like air algae to grow.

Snails will eat hair alge -- just don't let it get out of control.

What's your cleanup crew like?