Pod Your Reef

40 gallon breeder build

Rholden11

Hey all, this is my first post to this group and I'm hoping to get some help.  I have kept freshwater fish for years and recently (a year ago) go a 20 long tank and started a reef.  I love it, everything is thriving and I'm looking to upgrade to a 40 breeder (maybe a little bigger).  Right now my 20 long has a HOB on it and I was wondering if I could get away with a HOB on a 40 gallon or would I need a sump? The filter I use and love is an Aquaclear 70 and I'd probably put an Aquaclear 110 on the 40.  Also, any good info on stand builds for this size?  I'd like to build my own so I can add magnetic border pieces for easy access underneath (If I did a sump).  Thanks

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rholden11 said:

Hey all, this is my first post to this group and I'm hoping to get some help.  I have kept freshwater fish for years and recently (a year ago) go a 20 long tank and started a reef.  I love it, everything is thriving and I'm looking to upgrade to a 40 breeder (maybe a little bigger).  Right now my 20 long has a HOB on it and I was wondering if I could get away with a HOB on a 40 gallon or would I need a sump? The filter I use and love is an Aquaclear 70 and I'd probably put an Aquaclear 110 on the 40.  Also, any good info on stand builds for this size?  I'd like to build my own so I can add magnetic border pieces for easy access underneath (If I did a sump).  Thanks

If you know what you’re doing with HOB, there shouldn’t be any reasons you can’t continue with AC110/40B combo. 

there’s a cool basic 2x wood stand instruction that I came across. Try google term “rocket engineer aquarium stand”