inTank Media Baskets

Fluval Lighting Dilemma

tjongster

Hey guys ! Recently wet my Fluval evo 13.5g and is now in the cycling process! 

Been having a hard time finding a lighting set up that will not blow a hole in my wallet. 

Heard alot of good about the AI prime 16HD but that is a tad out of my budget at the moment. 

Any one have any reccomendations about what light would be sufficient and possibly cheaper than the AI prime ? 

What im looking in a light: generally with some amount of control to be able to dim and set timers and be able to grow both soft and hard coral in a mix reef environment. 

Thank you very much guys ! 

• Like 1
MainelyReefer

There is cheaper options like the Hipargero, it works but controls are junk.  I would try talking you into the AI prime.  I scored a secondhand prime HD for 100$ Perhaps you could check your local reefing forum in the hardware classifieds

Most lights can grow soft and hard corals provided they have enough PAR, there's not any magic formula to it. If you want something programmable current marine and the asta lights may work, though the latter tends not to be too bright. You can always put more basic lights on a simple hardware store timer and go with something like the hipargero, alternatively you could just grab an abi tuna blue PAR bulb and put it on a timer and be set to keep just about anything.

3 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Most lights can grow soft and hard corals provided they have enough PAR, there's not any magic formula to it. If you want something programmable current marine and the asta lights may work, though the latter tends not to be too bright. You can always put more basic tights on a simple hardware store timer and go with something like the hipargero, alternatively you could just grab an abi tuna blue PAR bulb and put it on a timer and be set to keep just about anything.

I use the asta, I would only suggest it for very small pico's- growth is pathetically slow.

Abi tuna blue par 38 is an awesome light, put it on a light timer and done

The growth and colour pop I get under this light is amazing for the price.

Kessil a80

AI prime(awesome light)

Chinese box (mars aqua or viparspectra)

• Like 2

I would suggest you adjust your expectations to fit your budget. A mixed reef is hard enough to pull off on its own, and you are putting further restrictions with small tank size, and inexpensive light.  I'd save up for the AI Prime or similar, it would only take losing a few $30 dollar frags to make up for the difference in the price between something cheap and a quality light.

I have the Red Sea Reef LED 50 on my EVO 13.5, and it covers the tank extremely well. I had to buy the LED 90 mounting arm (the middle length) to get the extension I needed to the middle of the tank from the sump/back glass. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First what we know for sure:

The tank is 22" x 11.5" x 12.5", correct?  (Gallons don't matter for this....actual dimensions matter.)

For a long tank (vs square), if you go with spotlights you'll want at least two and keep them low enough so light isn't spilling over the edges of the tank. 

If you don't care about sticking with spotlights, then consider a set of Current USA strip LED's (or similar) to cover that length instead.

Now for the opinion:

If budget is too tight, I second shopping used as needed.

Always opt for "better" vs compromising on price when you can.  I.e. buy used live rock vs cheaping out on dead rock....buy used Tunze powerheads vs cheaping out on ebay pumps...etc

I'm also a fan of buying gear that's sized properly for the tank.....it should work better, cost less up front and it should cost less to operate.

I like the A80 option or one of the Current USA options out of what's been suggested so far. 👍

Obviously the no-name Chinese lights can work -- we nailed down the requirements back in the early 2000's...@TinyGiant's DIY "chinese led" thread is an excellent example setup...so there's no real mystery to making LED lighting.

But IMO opt for an LED company that can give you support, at least for your first tank.  When something happens to one of those el-cheapo lights, you put it in the garbage and replace it yourself.  If you have a question about it, you're stuck with 1000 internet opinions.  Not the greatest investment, especially on your first go-around.

Companies like Kessil, Ecotech, CoralVue, Current USA, Tunze and others can answer questions, often offer send-in or at-home repair options if needed and can replace equipment at no cost if they choose to.  (And they often do when it makes sense.)  

• Like 1