Pod Your Reef

Lighting for a Peninsula 20

wroot

Could use some lighting advice. I'm currently stumped on lighting a new SPS reef tank I'm setting up.  It's a Fusion 20 Peninsula (Dimensions: 12" x 30" x 13", [Display 12x27x13]).  

I really like all the bells and whistles that come with Ecotech, especially since I'm using a MP10 for flow. Would two XR15 pros be overkill? Could one do the job? 

Thanks in advance for all the help. 

Overkill is awesome. I have a fw xr15 over a 20L and the edges are way less lit than the center and I have the light mounted 12” off the water. I’ve always wanted to get another one but it’s gonna end up my fuge light anyways. 

2xr15s would be good I think. 

Some folks light the whole thing with a single prime, others a hydra, some use two or three abi par bulbs lol, still others might suggest current USA or other long-strips which are proven to work @WV Reefer uses something similar on their 12g long.

I chanced into a great deal of a maxspect razor 120w myself.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking at potentially building a canopy with the Current USA leds and t5 retrofit kit in order to get the PAR up.  Can't wait to get this tank rolling!

• Like 1

Have the same tank and went through dilemma. I chose a reefbreeders v2 16, hanging from the ceiling. You could bend a piece of conduit and bend it and they use the hanging kit. Good luck

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 7:55 AM, wroot said:

Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking at potentially building a canopy with the Current USA leds and t5 retrofit kit in order to get the PAR up.  Can't wait to get this tank rolling!

Just a set of Orbit Marin IC's would do it....already overkill enough in such a super shallow tank. 

If you wanted more overkill (don't recommend), install another one or two LED strips....pointless signing up for the expense of T5 bulb-replacements in 2020.  $20 per bulb, per year at minimum...plus the cost of the extra power usage.

Unless you're keeping (e.g.) clams or maybe some gorgonians (not all) that require uber-bright light, there's no point of over lighting a tank.  Dana Riddle has had at least one MAJOR talk at MACNA talking about his studies on this.  Check him out!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

Just a set of Orbit Marin IC's would do it....already overkill enough in such a super shallow tank. 

If you wanted more overkill (don't recommend), install another one or two LED strips....pointless signing up for the expense of T5 bulb-replacements in 2020.  $20 per bulb, per year at minimum...plus the cost of the extra power usage.

Unless you're keeping (e.g.) clams or maybe some gorgonians (not all) that require uber-bright light, there's no point of over lighting a tank.  Dana Riddle has had at least one MAJOR talk at MACNA talking about his studies on this.  Check him out!

BRS also has a recent video where they pretty much ruled-out ever needing to go past 250 or so PAR even for high-end acros.

• Like 1