ReefCleaners.org

Ricky's Reef (120 Gallon)

Rickyrooz

Thrassian Atoll
7 hours ago, Rickyrooz said:

Thank you 😁 The ASD Strawberry Lemonade started out similar to the WWC Lemon Twist but now that they have grown into 4" pieces they really started to differentiate. I have the WWC French Tickler and it is one of my favorite corals, it does look different than the ASD Strawberry Lemonade because it doesn't have the yellow tips and the pink and blue is much more pronounced in the body. Yes, I do ship frags just shoot me a PM.

Nice!  I didn’t realize you were running mostly T5. Makes me want to ditch all of my radions.  Haha.  Yeah man, I will have to hit you up sometime.  You should post your coral list.  Fragable and growing out.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am currently experiencing polyp retraction on a few of my acropora and the tissue looks as though it is thinner than usual. Some of the colors look less vibrant and two acro's RTNed on me. I am using Instant Ocean sea salt and I dose ESV B-Ionic two part as well as ESV Transition Elements. I perform 15% weekly water changes, I do not run carbon or GFO but I did add BRS ROX 0.8 carbon two weeks ago hoping it would help resolve the issue of the stressed corals. I tested my RO/DI water which comes out 0 TDS and 0 for free and total chlorine which also means 0 chloramines. My last ICP test showed elevated Bromine, Iodine, Lithium, Selenium and low Barium, Fluorine, Molybdenum and Manganese. Nitrates read 9 ppm and Phosphates read 0.05 ppm. My Salifert Nitrate test kit was reading between 10 and 25ppm and the Hanna ULR Checker was reading 0.12 ppm during this time. I am continuing the perform water changes but this week I am going to perform two extra water changes. I am also dosing the depleted elements with ATI supplements. I dosed sodium nitrate and Seachem Phosphorus last night to bring my nutrient levels back up as I run alkalinity between 8.5 and 9.0 dKH and when I have better results with higher nutrient levels when running my tank at this level of alkalinity. I removed the BRS ROX 0.8 carbon as well. I did check my powerheads, return pump and heaters for corrosion and found nothing. To my surprise some of the stressed corals are still growing but they do not have the usual vibrant colors or polyp extension. I am trying to get my tank back to how it was a few months ago and mimic those water parameters. Stay tuned for updates as I hope I can turn my tank around . . .

ASD Strawberry Lemonade

January 25, 2020
ASDStrawberryLemonade.jpeg

March 14, 2020
ASD%2BStrawberry%2BLemonade.JPG

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks for the thorough update. Very interesting. I hope you the actions you’re taking turns it around - although it still looks amazing!  

Thank you, I will update in a few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Did you figure out what was wrong?  Great tank!  Love all of the encrusting corals on the bottom. 

Nope, I am just going to keep on with my normal maintenance and see what happens over the next few months.

• Like 1

Yeah, good call.  I have an SPS heavy tank as well and decided to start up a refugium.  A couple of weeks later I started getting tip burn on my acros, montis started bleaching.  Sent in an ICP test and was low on iodine and a couple other things.  I killed the refugium and just let my nitrates run about 20 ppm.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the SPS irritation. I agree with not overreacting. You could maybe try slowly moving to a different salt (maybe a bad bucket?).

Going to be moving to Pittsburgh at the end of August and setting up a SPS tank! Think I could order a frag pack in the fall? (or u could suggest a provider in state?)

Your reds look great and that Walt Disney 😍

• 1 month later...

Well I found the problem with my Acro's. I had a few pests, thankfully Interceptor took them out but I needed to use 4x the recommended dose.

BC%2BPink%2BMatrix%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

BC Pink Matrix (Actinic Shot)

Hung%2527s%2BGrafting%2BRainbow%2BExplosion%2B%2528Actinic0.jpg

Hung's Grafting Rainbow Explosion (Actinic Shot)

Jurnee%2527s%2BUnicorn%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Jurnee's Unicorn (Actinic Shot)

Ricky%2527s%2BSuperman%2BTenuis%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Ricky's Superman Tenuis (Actinic Shot)

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, Rickyrooz said:

Well I found the problem with my Acro's. I had a few pests, thankfully Interceptor took them out but I needed to use 4x the recommended dose.

BC%2BPink%2BMatrix%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

BC Pink Matrix (Actinic Shot)

Hung%2527s%2BGrafting%2BRainbow%2BExplosion%2B%2528Actinic0.jpg

Hung's Grafting Rainbow Explosion (Actinic Shot)

Jurnee%2527s%2BUnicorn%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Ricky%2527s%2BSuperman%2BTenuis%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg

Ricky's Superman Tenuis (Actinic Shot)

Glad you got it figured out and that it was red bugs and not AEFW.  Photos look great.

1 minute ago, DreC80 said:

Glad you got it figured out and that it was red bugs and not AEFW.  Photos look great.

Thank you, they were actually a white variant of red bugs, much harder to get rid of. The normal dose as recommended by Dustin Dorton from ORA did not work on these.

Just now, Rickyrooz said:

Thank you, they were actually a white variant of red bugs, much harder to get rid of. The normal dose as recommended by Dustin Dorton from ORA did not work on these.

Wow that's crazy.  Any I'll effects from the elevated dose?

18 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

Wow that's crazy.  Any I'll effects from the elevated dose?

I did lose three Emerald crabs.

Just now, Rickyrooz said:

I did lose three Emerald crabs.

Yeah, crustaceans seem to be affected by the interceptor, but all things considered that's not too bad.

9 minutes ago, DreC80 said:

@mitten_reef @Cannedfish @teenyreef @xiaoxiy @pokerdobe

You guys may want to check this SPS tank out.  

Thanks for the pointer!

@Rickyrooz fantastic tank! Love the color on the sticks. Nice to see what can be done under an all-T5 setup. I've thought about something similar when I convert my 90g FW tank to SW.

Glad you figured out the redbugs 🙂

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

Ricky%2527s%2BOctopussy%2B%2528Actinic%2
Ricky's Octopussy (Actinic Shot)

TCK%2BGrapefruit%2B%2528Actinic%2529.jpg
TCK Grapefruit (Actinic Shot)

WWC%2BCulture%2BShock%2B%2528Actinic%252
WWC Culture Shock (Actinic Shot)

BigR%2BWalt%2BDisney%2B%2528Actinic%2529
BigR Walt Disney (Actinic Shot)

Jurnee%2527s%2BUnicorn%2B%2528Actinic%25

RR%2BOP%2B%2528Frag%2529.jpg
RR Ultimate Orange Passion (Actinic Shot)

• Like 1
  • Wow 2