ReefCleaners.org

37 Gallon XH FOWLR stocking!

Chriss Fishes

Chriss Fishes

Hey guys, this is sort of an unusual build, but I got the tank for super cheap and would like to get back into salt a little more. I have a 5.5 set up with a pair of Yellow Clown Gobies, and have kept a lot of saltwater in the past, but I kinda let it all go when I got busy with school and miss it.

Basically, this is going to be a FOWLR tank with inverts (probably) that I think I'll eventually convert into a reef. I'm not married to that idea, but that's where I'm at right now - so I'd like mostly reef-safe suggestions, although non reef-safe suggestions are also welcome.

I'd like to try and incorporate some mollies into the tank (I already have them acclimated for another tank, and IDK, I think they're cool in saltwater), but other than that, options are open.

Pygmy angelfish, royal gramma , pistol shrimp and shrimp goby...

So many options here depending on your local LFS, shopping online. Your personal taste and compatability is the bottom line. 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

Thanks!

I really like the Starcki Damsel! I'll have to see if my LFS can get one in stock - it's gorgeous!

I decided to go with a puffer, and ended up with a Blue Spot. I was leaning towards a Valentini, but I've already done one - I decided to go a different route. The LFS happened to have a Blue Spot in stock too, so he's sitting in QT now. He's healthy - a little chubby, and he put up a good fight in the store. He's maybe 2 1/2" or so, so he's got a little growing to do!

How's this stock sound?

1 Blue Spotted Puffer

3 Mollies

1 Starcki Damsel (nervous about the aggression with this one - not sure. I might switch this out for something a little less iffy)

2 False Percula Clownfish

That's 7 fish, which might be a bit much - not sure. I'll be running the rather large Instant Ocean Octopus skimmer (the one they sell at Petsmart) as I got it for free. I'll also be running around 30 lbs of rock. What do you guys think?

Maintenance on all my tanks is usually a 25% WC every week.

Chriss Fishes

Here's the Blue Spotted Puffer!

IMG_20191221_233432.thumb.jpg.5aeb6f41a29b6c92f0663dae53f004a8.jpg

IMG_20191221_233426.thumb.jpg.b78db0bb705a14036cd19e6c17cbd1f2.jpg

IMG_20191221_233440.thumb.jpg.e14178074f612f0327396220fe9af552.jpg

He's a beautiful little guy, and is insanely healthy for a puffer - most of the salty puffers I find around here are starved to death. This guy is chunky, active, and spunky. Canthigaster puffers "flare" just like bettas do - they stiffen up their bodies and elongate themselves, and change their swimming pattern so that they consistently have their largest side towards the "enemy". In this case, he really didn't like the camera - I couldn't get a picture of him flaring at it because he was moving too fast, but I might try and get it on video one day.

Oh, and he's already eating! I brought some ghost shrimp home from work, and he ate two as soon as he found them in the tank. He had a few pond snails, too. I think I'll be feeding this guy mostly frozen salad shrimp, frozen scallops, frozen krill, and live ghost shrimp. Canthigaster puffers have such tiny mouths that most snails are a challenge unless they're pre-crushed.

I think this guy does have internal parasites (all puffers do), so I'll be treating him for that. For size reference, he's in a 5 gallon - so he's pretty tiny! I'll get him healthy over the next month, and let him loose into the 37. Can't wait!

Would you say that your Starcki Damsel is pretty active? I've had three in the past (a 3-lined, yellow-tailed, and an azure), and while I loved all three fish (I kept them alone), they kinda stayed hidden a lot. I want something that's going to be visible quite a bit.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Chriss Fishes

Didn't want to make a new thread, but I had another question.

Do Ruby Red Dragonettes tend to have the same copepod requirements as other Dragonettes? I've heard various opinions. If it's something where I'm just going to slowly starve the poor thing in my tank I don't want to try one, but I think they're truly gorgeous.

Oh, and the puffer got let loose into the 37! I know, not a full month in QT, but he seemed pretty healthy, and it's just him and mollies in there anyway.

Sounds like your system is coming along well. Your puffer looks good and should be ok. My biggest concern with new fish is what they bring into the tank.. Usually a few days to a week ich would show up. That could wipe out a tankful of fish. Internal parasites could take longer.

As far as the ruby dragnet.. I would wait till you have a good population of pods available. This is just my opinion but I wouldn't  want the hastle of feeding the pods . 

• Like 1
Chriss Fishes

If the ruby dragonettes have the same care requirements as the Mandarins do, I'm not really interested in them for this set up. I'd rather have them in a set-up made for them.

Oh, and I did treat the puffer for internal parasites, so I think we're good there.