Cultivated Reef

Sharbuckle

Yellow Wrasse settled in quite well.

Fairy Wrasse being harassed by Talbots. Watch for a few days to see how it plays out. Will rehome if necessary.

Big Mamas flame tip BTA arrived but ripped in two. Larger piece in display, smaller piece in fuge.

Pink Stylocoeniella still not open.

Dragon Soul Torch is beautiful. 

DC44DC09-B222-4B25-B533-F33C36F7DC63.jpeg

C2B3551C-5342-4AB5-B4D6-C4A618E6F5F2.jpeg

7C82FEB3-0206-41A0-AE41-7F037E0F4A46.jpeg

8B3F316C-14B4-495C-AA16-B3EAB67800CB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Happy to report that all fish are getting along. No more harassment. 

That's always a relief! 

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
On 5/11/2020 at 1:13 AM, teenyreef said:

That's always a relief! 

Huge relief! 

Added a few hermits and Trochus to the refugium as nuisance algae is out competing the chaeto.

ordered two Kamoer x1 dosing pumps to start dosing two part automatically. My tank is going through approximately .25-.35 dkh daily. Time to keep things stable

• Like 2
Sharbuckle
6 hours ago, DNR88 said:

That Nemo, or whatever it is, is WAY too big for the tank I think. 😋

I really like the arch. 😊

Not sure if you’re just trolling me or being serious..... but Big Mama is a Full grown Clarkii Clownfish and a 70g Tank is an appropriate size. 

Also thank you, I really like the arch too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Sharbuckle

Dosers running two days now. Alk steady at 8.1 both days. Ordered a Hannah alk checker and a big bottle of aminos today. Should make testing easier 

Alk checker is awesome.  I held off for a long time, but am so glad I finally bought one.  Still have the salifert kit to validate the checker every once and a while.  Tank is looking good.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
2 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Alk checker is awesome.  I held off for a long time, but am so glad I finally bought one.  Still have the salifert kit to validate the checker every once and a while.  Tank is looking good.

Thank you!

I’ve been using aquaforest test kits for a few years and they work fine. However, Looking forward to easier testing! 

Sharbuckle

Stylocoeniella frag not doing so hot. I have a feeling the favias in the area are stinging it. Tested parameters just in case.

Kh 8.1

Ca 420

Mg 1350

Sharbuckle

Stylo is doing fine now. Didn’t change anything. Just let it go. One of my chalices looks like the outer rim is starting to recede a little bit.... could be a little faded.

anemone continues to move all around the back right but luckily not into any coral yet.

hanna checker shipment was been very late. Should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to easy testing. Kh is stable at 8.1. Water change tomorrow see how high it goes. 

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
45 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

I love my Hannah alkalinity checker. Been thinking about getting others, but I hear they aren't as reliable. Which ones did you get?

Just the alk. It’s what I test the most often so I thought it was the most necessary 

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

Turns out the reefing gods smile upon me today. My package was delivered on a Sunday! Used the Hanna checker and dkh is 8.2. Only .1 difference from the AF test kit. Pretty impressed with the AF test kits accuracy. Anyway. Water change tomorrow! 

Oh I also for my emerald crab and put it in the fuge. I suspect he’s been picking at my acros. 

Sharbuckle

Maintenance day! 

15% water change.

changed reactor media, carbon and gfo

new floss

clean glass

now for some reason diatoms are coming back again! 3rd time. Ugh 

Sharbuckle

Losing one of my acros. I’m really not sure why. It’s been fading out for about 4 days now. 

I test every single day and all my parameters are stable. What else could be the cause? 

4CA4698F-65C4-4520-BBBA-69D046C65126.jpeg

7FA14208-D967-44E9-BA96-917CAA8F3A91.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Losing one of my acros. I’m really not sure why. It’s been fading out for about 4 days now. 

I test every single day and all my parameters are stable. What else could be the cause? 

4CA4698F-65C4-4520-BBBA-69D046C65126.jpeg

7FA14208-D967-44E9-BA96-917CAA8F3A91.jpeg

Is it fading out or losing tissue?  

Color wise it doesn't appear to be starving/phosphate deficient.  Is it possible that it's getting stung by anything?  I had a Hollywood Stunner chalice that was stinging my Green Slimer...they were about 2 inches apart, but I think it was doing it at night.

Any chance it's AEFW or do you dip your corals?

Lastly, sometimes acros just STN/RTN in our tanks and the reason why isn't known, but some believe it's a bacterial infection.

• Like 1
Sharbuckle
6 hours ago, DreC80 said:

Is it fading out or losing tissue?  

Color wise it doesn't appear to be starving/phosphate deficient.  Is it possible that it's getting stung by anything?  I had a Hollywood Stunner chalice that was stinging my Green Slimer...they were about 2 inches apart, but I think it was doing it at night.

Any chance it's AEFW or do you dip your corals?

Lastly, sometimes acros just STN/RTN in our tanks and the reason why isn't known, but some believe it's a bacterial infection.

Nothing close by that would sting other than a stylo on the opposite side. Worried it may be AEFW but upon inspection I didn’t see any. 

Another thought was potentially not enough flow in that particular area. I turned the powerheads up 20%. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

I really need to get central air.....

tank temps climbed to about 79.9 today. Not crazy high but temperatures are even higher tomorrow. Added a fan to blow across top of the tank and have turned off the t5’s for now.