Pod Your Reef

7 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Theoretically, I have that problem too. Just not enough income to support it.

Oh I don’t have that either lol 

• Haha 3
On 11/6/2020 at 5:59 PM, kimberbee said:

It's looking really nice, especially the duncan and the reef-fugium!!

Reef-Fugium! I love it lol thank you 🙂

here’s a couple shots of the reef-fugium this evening. 

ED8506DB-FC17-4BCD-B6B7-0895B6118858.jpeg

6BAB8527-3F8F-4278-ACF1-0C7310DE6AF9.jpeg

3BE26C2B-C9A8-40FC-B43C-D7378092020F.jpeg

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

What kind of anemone is that? It's pretty

🤷‍♂️ some sort of bta. Truthfully, I think they’re pests but I got a rock from a friend that had a torn up nem on it. It slowly grew into this size. I just sort of ran with it. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Okay here’s another top down shot.

heres my new dilemma. I’ve got too many frags!! I need to start thinking about how the coral will grow into eachother.

Having said that, I’ve got two very nice frags on the rack that need to be placed. 

My first thought is to move things around but staring at the tank for an hour got me nowhere. I’ve come to the conclusion I need to move a couple fast growing pieces out of the tank.

Im thinking the green plate type montipora on the top left to start with. As well as the green pocilipora on the middle top right area. Would love some input. What do you all think? 

DD01E598-FCBD-4DFA-A9E2-37C531BB0BDF.jpeg

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Kayman said:

Looking good! My vote would be to let em grow! Once they start growing into each other, start fragging or replacing them but then you'll get more money for them. haha

Agree

It looks like about two years before it's a problem.  It's 70 gallons, plenty of room

Just prune when needed

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Okay here’s another top down shot.

heres my new dilemma. I’ve got too many frags!! I need to start thinking about how the coral will grow into eachother.

Having said that, I’ve got two very nice frags on the rack that need to be placed. 

My first thought is to move things around but staring at the tank for an hour got me nowhere. I’ve come to the conclusion I need to move a couple fast growing pieces out of the tank.

Im thinking the green plate type montipora on the top left to start with. As well as the green pocilipora on the middle top right area. Would love some input. What do you all think? 

DD01E598-FCBD-4DFA-A9E2-37C531BB0BDF.jpeg

Get rid of the pocci for sure. They don't have resale value and can self propagate in the most annoying places (unless you really like it). 

Determine your fastest growers and whether you like them and want them in your long term vision. A dialed in tank can take a frag to a colony in 9 months or so (or even less). 

• Like 1

Or you could do your best to keep your tank out of whack like mine (instead of immaculate like poker or mitten's), that way things will grow slowly enough you'll not have to worry for a few years.

Have to agree on the Poci though, it's honestly almost a pest coral if it takes off.

12 hours ago, Kayman said:

Looking good! My vote would be to let em grow! Once they start growing into each other, start fragging or replacing them but then you'll get more money for them. haha

I’m sort of in the same mindset as well. My only problem is I have two high end acros on the frag rack with nowhere to put them. Once they’re a part of the scape it’s let em grow time! 

12 hours ago, farkwar said:

Agree

It looks like about two years before it's a problem.  It's 70 gallons, plenty of room

Just prune when needed

Yes absolutely it’s not a problem yet. However, I want to plan far far ahead and give me the more rare acros lots of space, so that’s my dilemma lol. Too many corals? Is that even a real problem? Lol 

10 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

Get rid of the pocci for sure. They don't have resale value and can self propagate in the most annoying places (unless you really like it). 

Determine your fastest growers and whether you like them and want them in your long term vision. A dialed in tank can take a frag to a colony in 9 months or so (or even less). 

That’s exactly what i was thinking about to pocilipora. It’s already spawned and annoying me. About 8 different babies in various spots. I think it’s time for it to go. 

10 hours ago, A.m.P said:

Or you could do your best to keep your tank out of whack like mine (instead of immaculate like poker or mitten's), that way things will grow slowly enough you'll not have to worry for a few years.

Have to agree on the Poci though, it's honestly almost a pest coral if it takes off.

Haha interesting way to look at things! 

Yes... time for poci to go! 

Clearly I don’t know how to merge replies....

on another note. My xr15 just randomly died today... calling Ecotech in the morning. For now the reef-fugium is in the dark. Gonna have to move some coral into the display for now. 

• Wow 1

Well I ordered a crappy 30W light from amazon to get me buy for now. Honestly as long as it grows macro algae I’m happy. I’ll move the corals I want to keep into the main display and sell whatever else.

Snapped the pocilipora off the rock and into many pieces and glued a chunky acro frag on top of it. Will sell the frags off this week if not theyre trash. So much of it growing in my tank as it is.

moved a few pieces around and glued the Disney and orange passion to the rocks. Once these poci frags are gone my display will be frag rack free! Again... for how long? Who knows... 

7CBA21C8-39B9-47A5-B600-FF4E5907AF95.jpeg

• Like 1

I think these are available in canadia 
https://www.amazon.com/ABI-Coral-Optimized-Spectrum-PAR38/dp/B01LWP37SD
And they'll cook SPS if you're not careful with mounting height.

Sweet bloody damn I just checked via a canadian proxy, that seller wants 79 after shipping.
And ABI seems to have converted their prices incorrectly because they want 52 in shipping and 66/100 for the bulb itself.

58 total on Ebay, still way too much.
Whelp, cancel that.

• Like 1

Ordered a crappy 30w nicrew hyper reef led on amazon. Very cheap and showed up 12 hours after I ordered it. Pretty decent spread and the colour is nice too. Let’s see how corals react. 

B34978F4-C648-4D74-ACFE-F5E790486E46.jpeg

E0FE7C12-A64A-4E6C-8546-5F47AAC741EA.jpeg

• Like 2

Very very very impressed with this cheap nicrew light. Aside from not having a built in timer.

My corals are super happy. That speaks volumes to me.

0B5DD233-4A67-44C1-9352-5E5AC9554E13.jpeg

22BEC0ED-3D29-4E17-B39D-9C29954F45D9.jpeg

E32FE087-BE15-48F6-A9A6-8A97EBAFADE4.jpeg

40E41A89-E5F2-469A-9456-9887C787D863.jpeg

• Like 2