Top Shelf Aquatics

Tough day for the poor mollies. Three lost to acclimation. Flow in the display is just too much for the ones that survived. Managed to catch all but one, they will live in the fuge. 

Caught the last molly. They are all happy in the fuge.

Potentially discovered the source of my problems. I totally forgot I had a dying mangrove in the fuge.... stupid me, I found it deteriorating behind the chaeto and rocks. Now that’s it’s gone I’m hoping my nutrients balance out. Also cleaned the fuge glass, powerhead and trimmed the chaeto. I really want to add some different macro other than chaeto. 

Some of my sps colonies have been growing wild so I took a few small frags, let’s see how they turn out.

1A50508D-02AC-437E-9FDD-F0350968CCFC.jpeg

963CE6AC-7A99-485A-8CF4-D2FAE02547A3.jpeg

FB911E74-B3A2-45A8-8745-9B0BA3FB6D1E.jpeg

• Like 4
On 9/28/2020 at 11:02 PM, billygoat said:

'Fuge looks great tbh! That's a crazy huge wad of chaeto. How big was it when you put it in there?

It was about the size it is now. Just trimmed it back. 

Okay so some unexpected additions today.

helped break down and move a 220g reef and a reefer 170.

took about 6 hours but I got lots of freebies out of it.

Kole Tang

yellow Chromis

bta

pavona

hydnophora

superman monti frag

acan frag

two gorgonians!

definitely worth the sore back!

30DF2847-7D7C-4F04-90D2-1A97F4F4ADDD.jpeg

8F502484-C8E0-4628-9FE6-95647914365E.jpeg

B8E9E715-DC50-4BC5-84F2-E09C95ECC651.jpeg

D81F5ECA-0C89-47D6-BBD2-BB3F61FC562A.jpeg

Made a video to show off the new fish.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Sweet

Ugh it was sweet until the anemone decided to float around the tank and get blended in the powerheads....

woke up to milky tank... Dino’s worse.... brown strings everywhere....

ugh... large water change is necessary because of anemone but I know it’s going to make the Dino’s worse... 

• Sad 2

Okay. I’m trying a few things here. 

dinos have just rocked my tank in the past two days....

1. UV sterilizer, borrowed one from a friend and just plugged it in now.

2. I’m positive this started when I slowed down feeding as well as coral feeding, so I’m getting back to my original feeding schedule.

3. I’m going to add some very mature live rock to a bin and cycle it with buttloads of microbacter and add it to the sump. 

wish me luck

4B44BDC4-3E20-4553-9895-92CFB9CCAAB5.jpeg

• Like 1

UV seems to be helping a bit.... the Dino’s (At least that’s what I think it is) didn’t come back as strong today.

I think a couple more days with UV should determine if that’s fact or just wishful thinking. 

Interesting sight after lights out. The hermits all gathered at the front of the tank seemingly grazing on the problem algae... maybe a sign that it’s just an awful case of diatoms?? time will tell.

94E5A638-64EB-4BAF-BEEF-FFCB9DC3A6A0.jpeg

A03958F3-E457-44F9-B40C-065E41D8AED2.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't know if it's any consolation, but those don't look like Dino's to me. Dino's have an unmistakable orange-brown color to them and tend to have a bit of a globby-pattern/texture to them, at least the outbreaks and strains I'm familiar with. 
It kind of looks like cyano or diatoms, but it's hard to tell, hope they continue to improve!

45 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I don't know if it's any consolation, but those don't look like Dino's to me. Dino's have an unmistakable orange-brown color to them and tend to have a bit of a globby-pattern/texture to them, at least the outbreaks and strains I'm familiar with. 
It kind of looks like cyano or diatoms, but it's hard to tell, hope they continue to improve!

Seee I was thinking this as well..... but the bubbly stringy bits are what lead to me thinking it’s Dino! Ugh I just don’t know what to do at this point. 

• Like 1

Huuuge water change and sand siphon today. Lost my montipora setosa... suspected nudis. Could be just coincidence but my six line Disappeared  and now montis are dying. Could have been keeping the population at bay. Speculation at this point. 

• Sad 2

Okay. So it is diatoms. The large water change coupled with siphoning the sand worked pretty well. Going to do another smaller WC today with some more siphoning. 

here’s a link to a new YouTube video I made this morning as well.

• Like 1

Yay it’s been four days and the fancy acros are still alive! 

Going back to work soon so I’m going to do tank maintenance tomorrow. May not be able to for a while. 

Here’s a Sunday tank shot. I’m so happy how this tank is doing. 

6985C91D-F5FA-49C1-B031-673835A9FB5C.jpeg

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Looking great sharbuckle! No more diatoms?

Thank you so much. 🙂 for your compliments and always following along and posting. Makes this more fun for me 🙂

diatoms are gone!! Big frequent water changes and adding a conch seem to have done the trick. 

• Like 2