Cultivated Reef

Tested Alk again today. 6.3! shes low, going to start dosing the ESV part a. Slowly going to raise over the course of the  week. I need a doser!!

I’ve brought the Alkalinity up to 7 over the past few days. Will continue to test daily and raise as needed. The goal is 8 dkh. 

Slight diatom bloom continues. Water change tomorrow perhaps.

Added a few more frags today.

spicy lemon favia

mr freeze lepto

favia and chalice I forget names of as well

CFF5566E-579A-468B-B687-CB057B68326E.jpeg

F09D857E-FE2A-4757-9E60-52A7FEFC3AA6.jpeg

908C9E4D-4728-4803-B4B2-66788D0C9CA0.jpeg

A5BE149A-FA0B-484A-B512-04DE67337ABA.jpeg

089B71A1-DB47-4E4D-9E15-13E2C53EFA0E.jpeg

• Like 3

Frags look great today. Lots of the SPS frags are starting to fully encrust their plugs.

Alk raising still going slow but steady. Around 7.2 today

• Like 3

Broke apart an old crappy LED light and glued it under the tank. Now I can switch it on when I’m working under there. Also looks cool.

F0B26A4F-AF69-42E8-AD8C-FB8214198C39.jpeg

F45CEB1B-5E6A-44CD-BD9B-0BA80B0B195E.jpeg

6AB774A2-F49F-4415-BC93-95DA97DB35C1.jpeg

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Sharbuckle said:

Broke apart an old crappy LED light and glued it under the tank. Now I can switch it on when I’m working under there. Also looks cool.

Nice! That's something I'd never thought about before (probably because my tank is small and doesn't have a sump), but I bet it's a huge quality-of-life improvement. Clever work. 👍

• Like 1
On 4/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, billygoat said:

Nice! That's something I'd never thought about before (probably because my tank is small and doesn't have a sump), but I bet it's a huge quality-of-life improvement. Clever work. 👍

I was going to order one of those strip LED lights but remembered i had this piece of junk in the garage! now its not junk and im so happy lol

quick test today,

Nitrates 10ppm

Phosphates Undectable.

Diatoms persist, im going to lay off dosing reef roids and phyto for a few days.

3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Is the fuge going to be the smaller tank to the left?

Yep. It’s connected to the main display. 

• Like 1

Macro Algae added to fuge.... but there is a small leak coming from the overflows bulkhead. I suspect it’s cracked. Will inspect.

i also picked up a bucket off h2ocean salt. I’m growing tired of aquaforest products.

318FB69E-6F15-4DD3-B71B-64162672A78B.jpeg

• Like 2

After only a few short days the diatoms are starting to fade. I’m not sure if it is only because of the macro algae growing but hey... it’s on the way out.

Ordered some brightwell replenish and coral amino and it arrived today. Going to start dosing half the recommended amount to start.

Finally dug our my long Kent scraper and gave the bottom of the tank a good scrape! Hopefully the algae clears up and I can focus on coral health. 

D6F7B5E6-51D3-4795-8F1D-1FE49C353642.jpeg

C730057C-F414-4DCC-B540-3752CD78F0E6.jpeg

It’s official. Diatoms are gone! Woohoo.

Now... back to dosing phyto and turning the t5’s back on. Let’s see if the refugium can keep up. 

B4636C28-C7F5-4424-96AE-DF13D2BDEBFD.jpeg

• Like 2
Sharbuckle

Two new frags added to the display as well as a small frag of xenia in the fuge. Let’s see if it helps for nutrient export like some people claim! 

3719C306-A69D-492E-B1B2-02E3AA0CD424.jpeg

2654A94D-1BCC-42B3-A28F-53756124E178.jpeg

• Like 3
Sharbuckle

Water change today using H2Ocean for the first time. Mixed clean and I’m happy it has a higher dKh than aquaforest. 

here’s a video taken a couple hours after the change was complete.

• Like 3
Sharbuckle

Dkh went from 7.7 to 8.3 after the water change. I should be able to keep up with demand solely with water changes for now until the corals start growing big. May be able to stop dosing manually every day!! 

Sharbuckle

It’s a big weekend for the tank.

Today I added a yellow coris wrasse and a pink Stylocoeniella.

Tomorrow Big Mama gets an anemone, I add a fairy wrasse and an indo dragon soul torch! Oh as well as a frag rack fully encrusted in random sps I’m gonna put on my back wall. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
billygoat

Looks great in there! I'm loving that big open sandbed. Can't wait to see some pictures of the new additions too! 👍

• Thanks 1
Sharbuckle
3 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Looks great in there! I'm loving that big open sandbed. Can't wait to see some pictures of the new additions too! 👍

Thank you!!! My goal is to keep the sandbed completely free of coral. It’s hard because I’m running out of room already haha.