Cultivated Reef

One of my favourite things about Nano-Reef.com is looking back at old photos and write ups of My past and present tanks.

So I have to start a journal for this one.

I had originally planned to set up a 40 Breeder but I am incredibly impatient and drilled the holes for the overflow in the wrong spot. That’s what I get for rushing. While deciding on what to do a deal came up. A used cadlights 70. Complete with Radions and Mp10’s. I could not pass it up. 

I picked it up last week. Sold off some equipment I didn’t need and got to work cleaning it up. It was COVERED in coraline algae. It took a lot of vinegar and elbow grease but I got it done.

Let’s write out the planned equipment and livestock lists!

Equipment

Tank: Cadlights 70 Artisan ii 

Lights: Radion XR15 x2 and Radion XR30

Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 160

Flow: Vectra S2/M2. MP10 x2

Heater: 200w Jager

Controller: Neptune Apex

Planned Livestock

I will be adding only LPS coral to this tank. Starting from scratch.

Big Mama the Clarkii

Blue Spot Jawfish

Various Damsels

Various Wrasse

Kole Tang

Various shrimp

Clean up crew I always go with trochus snails, nassarius, emerald crab, and hermits (I love hermits).

Stay tuned for photos of the process. 

• Like 4

been watching this on insta...'bout time it gets on here! are you gonna use the sump from the system next to it?

What will happen to that other big one - I thought it was in the middle of being set up, until this one showed up.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Poodges said:

Alright! Tagging along.  Looks like a good footprint and plan.  

Thanks! I really love the footprint of this tank. Lots of room for scape. Having said that I don’t usually use a ton of rock. Maybe only 40lbs in total.

4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

been watching this on insta...'bout time it gets on here! are you gonna use the sump from the system next to it?

What will happen to that other big one - I thought it was in the middle of being set up, until this one showed up.  

The sump next to it doesn’t fit unfortunately. I think I’ll be getting a 30” Bashsea Sump in the new year.

This is my third attempt at setting up a tank after I shut down and sold off my last one.... haha I have a hard time making up my mind apparently!

so for now this is the only tank I’ll be setting up

• Like 2

I’ve seen a lot of tanks similar to construction to mine over the past month or so bursting  at the seams. Rimless tanks have always sort of worried me a bit so I decided to put a second stage of silicone on. As well I decided to add two side braces to the tank.

I used 10mm polished glass I had cut at the local glass shop and some Marineland clear silicone. I’m no professional but it turned out pretty well. At least I’ll be able to sleep better knowing there’s a bit more strength to the tank.

F76107B5-50AD-4834-BC5F-F2A16B7F92DF.jpeg

1C6F3E6E-4452-4E76-A227-2BA42BC37B56.jpeg

50EFDEBC-C473-48EE-8A64-FCEC0D805D4A.jpeg

5DF4CF45-297C-4E93-BD36-20A2D940641A.jpeg

4A63759F-AEBE-4154-8F17-18E036D42B8B.jpeg

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Thinking about abandoning the stand and building one to fit the Fiji cube 36 sump that I’ve got. Wouldn’t have to buy a new sump that way. 

If you're willing to put in the work to make the stand, I have to imagine that putting a stand together is cheaper than buying a new sump. Seems like a good, economical solution! 👍

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, billygoat said:

If you're willing to put in the work to make the stand, I have to imagine that putting a stand together is cheaper than buying a new sump. Seems like a good, economical solution! 👍

You’re right. So much more economical. Not to mention I’ve already got the sump so don’t have to wait for shipping and what not. Time to start planning.

Oh, I also ordered some coloured PVC and a gate valve from reefpvc.ca

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

PVC still hasn’t arrived! Problem with Canada post. What a pain in the rear end.

In other news. I was thinking. I was going to use the mp10’s I got with the tank shutdown but when I fired them up they were quite loud. Instead of having to get the driver upgrades and potentially replace the wet or dry sides I decided to go a different direction.

Ive been using Tunze nanostream powerheads on all my tanks and decided to pull the trigger on a stream 3. I like that I can have it mounted on the black glass and have it push flow up and over the rockwork. On top of that I’ll add a 6040 and have it blowing behind the rocks to keep detritus suspended. So excited to get this thing running! 

47315409-EE66-4981-9FB9-87FE8855C0D2.jpeg

30340915-E2E6-4163-A3F5-97116A02C8C0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

Awesome, can't wait to see what you do with this. Looks like you did a good job with your bracing. 

That's the tank I'd love to upgrade to, the footprint just seems perfect. Nice idea too on the stream behind the rocks, may have to steal that one day.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Kayman said:

Awesome, can't wait to see what you do with this. Looks like you did a good job with your bracing. 

That's the tank I'd love to upgrade to, the footprint just seems perfect. Nice idea too on the stream behind the rocks, may have to steal that one day.

I love the footprint. Creating the scape was easy because of it.

• Like 1

Hooray! My plumbing from ReefPVC is here. However, I’m a stupid and ordered the wrong size plumbing! Time to place another order.

In other news. I’ve decided to go with another industrial shelving stand with this aquarium like I did with my low boy lagoon. It’s cheap, effective, and gets the job done! I’ll ask a friend to make me some panels with magnets to wrap it. 

5E6A76E2-691F-4C86-B6B1-F1C54A553003.jpeg

• Like 3

New plumbing is ordered. I realized the drain inputs on the sump are 1.5”. 

I took an old piece of 1.5” pvc and realized it fits perfectly over the old drain pipe of the cad lights tank. So I’ve ordered unions, elbows, piping, and a gate valve all at 1.5” so it’s an easy fit. There’s a drain at 1” and the return is 1” as well on the sump so I’ll keep them as is. 

Plumbing arrived today!

Box showed up quite damaged but everything was perfectly fine. 

Friday I order my stand and hopefully my return pump. 

Getting closer every week! 

CEDF2991-9E9E-4A63-9BF0-AAECF0C78E8D.jpeg

AB21F2C0-7B65-4F0F-9444-281BCA664EFF.jpeg

• Like 3

Alright! Stand is ordered. Will arrive hopefully on the 13th. I started tearing up my basement floors where the tank is going and hope to have the new vinyl installed before I’m ready to set up the tank. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sharbuckle said:

Stand arrived today!

so so so close I can almost taste the salt. imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

A295AC6C-CCCC-47F5-8BCF-A75C400E49B9.jpeg

I'm intrigued.  Always wonder how to incorporate these heavy duty shelf/bench as an aquarium stand; they are very cost effective for the load capacity!

are there any certain measures that need to be taken using it around saltwater?