SaltCritters.com

Sharbuckle

Other than high temps. Tank was looking good today. Noticed some of my millepora have started encrusting. Steady as she goes 

Sharbuckle

Caught the BTA crawling towards a powerhead today. Turned the flow off and placed it on a rock front and centre. Last chance before it gets banished to the fuge. 

Turned flow and return back on and went upstairs, then I heard my ATO dry alarm... which is weird because I added 3G of freshwater to the reservoir today. 

well it turns out that for whatever reason the main drain wasn’t draining and my backup drain didn’t work either!!! The sump drained and the ATO dumped 3 gallons of freshwater into the system. I caught it seconds before the tank started overflowing . Really not sure how both drains didn’t work. But I Fully opened the gate valve for now. Will inspect tomorrow... frustrating. Hope all corals are okay after the 3 gallons of fresh we’re dumped. 

Sharbuckle

Not much to update. I’ve noticed some explosive encrusting growth from my milleporas. Chaeto is just falling apart in my fuge so I need to try a new macro that roots. Caulerpa perhaps. 

Noticed some baby aiptasia popping up. Added two peppermint shrimp today to take care of the bastards.

also added a cleaner shrimp for fun. 

Peppermint shrimp still haven’t touched the aiptasia but that was sort of expected. Hopefully they find them one day soon.

nothing really to report. New frags tomorrow! 

E870442B-DD7F-41D7-AD1D-DA21B9CC828F.jpeg

9 hours ago, Sharbuckle said:

Peppermint shrimp still haven’t touched the aiptasia but that was sort of expected. Hopefully they find them one day soon.

First try to 'weaken' the aiptasia with a shot of vinegar, I have good experiences with that. It's then easier for the shrimp to grab/eat the aiptasia.

5 hours ago, DNR88 said:

First try to 'weaken' the aiptasia with a shot of vinegar, I have good experiences with that. It's then easier for the shrimp to grab/eat the aiptasia.

I’ve tried boiling water, vinegar, joes juice, lemon juice, super glue. The peppermints are my last chance lol. 

• Like 1

More frags.... I have a problem. Most milleporas, moved a few frags around that were in prime spots for the millies. It’s lookin good! 

320F9477-448B-4D09-8B25-2853E64FA94D.jpeg

0240B4DE-D532-4C9C-B70D-2BEC5E59A5DD.jpeg

4144B9D8-3A21-495E-BCCA-3DFC105C88ED.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Is there an orange light under your frag rack?

It’s half black and half orange acrylic. 

• Like 1

My stupid BTA has crawled off its rock when big mama moved the sand out of the way. It’s not on the main rock and has stung a Goni..... so annoying. Now I have to dismantle the rocks to take it out.

I noticed an explosion in coraline today. Good sign. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Does that nem have any crazy name? Can I get a pic under neutral light? It is on 🔥

They call it a flame tip, under white lights it looks like any other RBTA

• Like 1

Officially out of room for frags.... debating on getting rid of my euphyllia and the one gorgonian frag I have to make room... 

oh and my lawnmower blenny met its maker.... had a bad habit of going inside the powerheads during feed mode..... 

97771526-4317-4CC6-B0E3-BFAD4EE8F36B.jpeg

• Like 1
Sharbuckle

Feeling sort of out of love with the tank as of late. I’m really happy with coral

growth. SPS especially, lots and lots of encrusting. However, I just don’t feel the same love as I did for my softy tanks.... I miss the hands off approach. Maybe the covid curse has something to do with it, general feelings of bummed out don’t help. 

LFS’s are baron for livestock other than washed out, overgrown zoanthid frags. I need a kick in the pants or something new and exciting to get me fired up about it again. 

Covid has severely impacted the hobby in my city. I hope it improves in the near future. I hope I snap out of my slump. 

FTS photo 

ACF5554B-B777-4C7F-B832-522DF302CB5F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Crazy heat wave caused tank temps of up to almost 83 this week. Should be cooling down this coming week. Thankfully....

I need a chiller! That, or air conditioning haha 

Yellow wrasse disappeared without a trace... very odd....

Cleaned the glass and took a quick video to show some progress. Mounted more frags,

debating on selling off the small euphyllia collection I’ve obtained. I don’t think they will fit in with the final look of the tank. 

15% water change today. Gotta measure Alk a little closer. It was at 7.2. Tank seems to be using more, will monitor over two days and change dosing accordingly.