Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anemone Shredded

Pippz

High guys , got a new anemone yesterday and he was fine the whole day , bubbles where nice and think adn everything looked well. When the lights went out i waited for a half an hour so and went to check again and he was missing. Looked around the tank and found him behind a rock al shredded up , half of him is gone . Doesnt look like his foot was injured thou. Gave him some food earlier and the tentacles closed. And when the crab came to bother him he closed up completly. Do you guys think he wil make it ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Pippz said:

High guys , got a new anemone yesterday and he was fine the whole day , bubbles where nice and think adn everything looked well. When the lights went out i waited for a half an hour so and went to check again and he was missing. Looked around the tank and found him behind a rock al shredded up , half of him is gone . Doesnt look like his foot was injured thou. Gave him some food earlier and the tentacles closed. And when the crab came to bother him he closed up completly. Do you guys think he wil make it ?

Need some pics. 

6 minutes ago, Pippz said:

The one where he is on the rocks is jsut taken now , the one in the cup was this morning.

20191217_191333.jpg

20191217_005633.jpg

Did he get chopped in the powerhead? He looks pretty rough. 🙁

1 minute ago, WV Reefer said:

Did he get chopped in the powerhead? He looks pretty rough. 🙁

honestly i dont know , that what i think , but he did eat a pallet like i said , and he is open and he does close aswell when something annoyes him . just hopeing he is gonna make it . Thats why im asking ppls advise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If his foot isn't damaged, there's a good chance he'll make it. I'd try to keep him contained somewhere that he can heal in peace. 

i dont have anything really to keep him in. and i put him in a rock space and he seems settle there, dont really wanna force him out of there. if he climbs out il try and put him in the tank in a tubberware clipped on the side perhaps. does he need a flow of fresh water thou ?

11 minutes ago, Pippz said:

i dont have anything really to keep him in. and i put him in a rock space and he seems settle there, dont really wanna force him out of there. if he climbs out il try and put him in the tank in a tubberware clipped on the side perhaps. does he need a flow of fresh water thou ?

You need to drill holes in the container so that flow gets to it.

You can also buy baskets and clip them on to the tank like stores do.

With anemones, if you have hob filter or powerheads, it's best to make covers so that when nems move they don't get shredded.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

You need to drill holes in the container so that flow gets to it.

You can also buy baskets and clip them on to the tank like stores do.

With anemones, if you have hob filter or powerheads, it's best to make covers so that when nems move they don't get shredded.

Do you think putting over like a filterbag on the powerhead will work ? Also do i have to put him in such a container . Or wil it just speed up his recovery ? also seems his foot is stuck in that whole should i force him out a bit ?

NoOneLikesADryTang
40 minutes ago, Pippz said:

Do you think putting over like a filterbag on the powerhead will work ? Also do i have to put him in such a container . Or wil it just speed up his recovery ? also seems his foot is stuck in that whole should i force him out a bit ?

If he's holding on to the rock on his own, I'd let him be. 

But like Clown said, you should definitely try to come up with some sort of guard on your pumps to prevent this. 

1 minute ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

If he's holding on to the rock on his own, I'd let him be. 

But like Clown said, you should definitely try to come up with some sort of guard on your pumps to prevent this. 

do you have an example , only thing i can think of is filter bag over it

NoOneLikesADryTang
1 hour ago, Pippz said:

In the condition it's in, I wouldn't move it to a separate container, you run the risk of further damage.

If it naturally let's go then I would put it in a housing container within the tank.

Most make covers out of mesh or foam for their powerheads/intakes.

Ones like this.

I don't use powerheads in my anemone tank because even with guards, some still get caught.

20180101_084533.jpg

Ok i think i know what the problem was , my anemone wasnt close to the wavemaker. Think my hermit ate him , i have a pretty big one , and when i went to search for my anemone he was next to him , so i think thats what happned. Can they eat anemones ? noticed aswell no part of the nemmi in tank or sump

1 hour ago, Pippz said:

Ok i think i know what the problem was , my anemone wasnt close to the wavemaker. Think my hermit ate him , i have a pretty big one , and when i went to search for my anemone he was next to him , so i think thats what happned. Can they eat anemones ? noticed aswell no part of the nemmi in tank or sump

Never heard of a hermit eating a nem. If anything you're more likely to hear the opposite more likely to occur

You likely wouldn't find any parts of the nem as it gets shredded, floats around, gets caught into filters and by that point not much is left

3 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Never heard of a hermit eating a nem. If anything you're more likely to hear the opposite more likely to occur

You likely wouldn't find any parts of the nem as it gets shredded, floats around, gets caught into filters and by that point not much is left

i found my crab next to my nem when i found him torn. and during the day i had to remove the crab about 4 times from the nem. crab is bigger than the nem btw 🙂

9 minutes ago, Pippz said:

i found my crab next to my nem when i found him torn. and during the day i had to remove the crab about 4 times from the nem. crab is bigger than the nem btw 🙂

Ya, it's not likely the culprit just because it's near the nem. It simply could be cleaning up around it.

Do a search, you'll find nems eating hermits, hermits using nems for protection.

I haven't found a hermit shredding a nem.

1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, it's not likely the culprit just because it's near the nem. It simply could be cleaning up around it.

Do a search, you'll find nems eating hermits, hermits using nems for protection.

I haven't found a hermit shredding a nem.

can the nem move about a meter in 30 mins ? and he was fine the whole day ? my xenias frag was knocked down aswell.

30 minutes ago, Pippz said:

can the nem move about a meter in 30 mins ? and he was fine the whole day ? my xenias frag was knocked down aswell.

They can move around alot and quite quickly.

It has happened to ppl who have had happy nems for months.

These are animals that move, common issues is being sucked into powerheads, intakes, stinging corals while on the move, it can even knock down things.

Look up anemones and powerheads/wave makers.