ReefCleaners.org

Muddy Macros - 12g Long

cosmicbread

7 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

So, "deep mud bed" section as opposed to a DSB, but it's not too terribly deep. Originally was going to be for the sea grass (and if I can find star grass, I'll try that again), but the mangroves and other macros should do well in it.

I think the macros are going to absolutely love it. That's basically the ideal substrate for almost all rooting macroalgae that are commonly available in the hobby. Bigger grain size will only be useful if you want to keep a jawfish or something like that.

Any plans to add some gorgonians down the line? I've always loved the way they look alongside macroalgae. I think there are several genera that would make excellent additions to a tank like this.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

I like that idea. The Florida pets mud is pretty nice. Very silky and fine. 

The four different muds I used have separated into layers of grain-size, largest to small: mineral mud -> miracle mud -> the live muds, with an unintentional strip of sand in the middle. So, "deep mud bed" section as opposed to a DSB, but it's not too terribly deep. Originally was going to be for the sea grass (and if I can find star grass, I'll try that again), but the mangroves and other macros should do well in it. I'm also wondering what the long-term effect might be on filter feeding critters. 

Were you planning on doing sea grasses?

I was wanting to do star grass or similar but my light is too weak I think so I will go with 2-3 species of caulerpa and add patches of mermaids hair to get a natural look

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I think the macros are going to absolutely love it. That's basically the ideal substrate for almost all rooting macroalgae that are commonly available in the hobby. Bigger grain size will only be useful if you want to keep a jawfish or something like that.

Any plans to add some gorgonians down the line? I've always loved the way they look alongside macroalgae. I think there are several genera that would make excellent additions to a tank like this.

What genera did you have in mind? I was just going to PM you about this exact question

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I would LOVE to add gorgonians, but have recently been cautious with the idea because the tank is not terribly tall. What would you suggest?

2 minutes ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

I was wanting to do star grass or similar but my light is too weak I think so I will go with 2-3 species of caulerpa and add patches of mermaids hair to get a natural look

I honestly can not wait to see that. BTW, there are pretty cheap grow lights available that could probably handle star grass. I've been supplementing my mangroves with them, and the macros that get this light by proxy have been very healthy, so it might be enough for grass if you watch your Kelvin.

I have a flow Q! There are two Hydor Korelia nanos in this tank, on the right-hand "deep" side. Originally I wanted one on each side, but a powerhead in the mangrove section is blowing the shaving brush and Caulerpa a bit too harshly. And if I turn them both on, side by side, an eddy of irritating debris is created where the Ricordea currently lives. 

So right now, I only have the one powerhead running on the one side of the tank.

Is this enough flow in a 12g? I doubt that?? Should I do one powerhead + an AC70 instead? Or move the Ricordea and turn both powerheads on side by side (not that this will create more flow to reach the other side of the tank in a large amount...). I'm not sure what to do.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

I would LOVE to add gorgonians, but have recently been cautious with the idea because the tank is not terribly tall. What would you suggest?

The height of the tank is less of a restriction than the flow, I think. Gorgonians can always be pruned into a shape that fits their container (within reason of course). The best candidate for a low-flow display is the purple plume (Muriceopsis flavida). It can tolerate a bit less water movement than most other species of photosynthetic gorgonians, and would make a good starting point. Pterogorgia citrina would also fit this tank quite well, as it tends to grow in more of a broad, bushy shape rather than a tall tree-shape, but it would likely require more flow than you've currently got going on.

Personally I think it's totally fine to put one powerhead on the far side of the tank and call it a day. As long as your livestock responds positively to the flow, whatever you can get away with should be totally fine. The only concern will be future livestock additions - especially gorgonians, as these will likely require a bit more water movement. I think that once you get more rocks in the tank your flow patterns may change considerably as well, so you may want to wait and see what sort of aquascape you end up coming up with. That will probably make a considerable difference in the way that you plan flow in the tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you!! You're right, I should wait til the rock and go from there. Hah, why does it feel like I'm going about this tank build a little backwards? 😉

I've always been fascinated with gorgs, and every single tank I drool over and have stalked across the years (including yours!) has them. Might be worth more experimentation with flow to see what I can support. 

• Like 1

I received more algae today. Portions way bigger than expected. 😳

I’m not sure what to do with it all.

oh and there’s a weird green mollusk creature climbing up the side of the glass.

B5F3A4A3-36AF-409E-94EA-FF6FF9841271.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
5 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

I’m not sure what to do with it all.

oh and there’s a weird green mollusk creature climbing up the side of the glass.

B5F3A4A3-36AF-409E-94EA-FF6FF9841271.jpeg

That looks wild! Maybe I'll get some rooting halimeda too now

• Like 1

LOL. I’m wondering if my town’s one and only local reef Facebook group will ever accept me so I can ask if anyone would want some. My LFS turned me down 😛

Or I can plant it and deal.

Or I can mail some pieces for the price of shipping. Anyone? You’ll get at least three shaving brushes and one or two of the cactusy halimeda (prob also h. monile, like the big one near the glass...)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

Those are some massive specimens you've got there! At this rate you're not going to have any space to put those rocks in when they finally arrive! 😂 Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. Macroalgae isn't very finicky about touching its neighbors, so I bet you could just stack a bunch of them close together somewhere. Those rooting macros are definitely very beautiful.

2 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

Or I can mail some pieces for the price of shipping. Anyone? You’ll get at least three shaving brushes and one or two of the cactusy halimeda (prob also h. monile, like the big one near the glass...)

Seems like a bargain! I would have been all over this about a year ago, but at this point my tank is completely packed with other stuff. 😅 I hope you find a good home for your surplus macros if you do end up deciding to give them away. 👍

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Those are some massive specimens you've got there! At this rate you're not going to have any space to put those rocks in when they finally arrive! 😂 Don't worry though, I'm sure you'll find a way to make it work. Macroalgae isn't very finicky about touching its neighbors, so I bet you could just stack a bunch of them close together somewhere. Those rooting macros are definitely very beautiful.

Seems like a bargain! I would have been all over this about a year ago, but at this point my tank is completely packed with other stuff. 😅 I hope you find a good home for your surplus macros if you do end up deciding to give them away. 👍

😅

I mean, I’m kinda growing to dig the look, despite the unprecedented largeness of a few of these. And the freebies. Northwoodsreefer may take a few...but I wonder how difficult it would be to retain them all. 

Implementing a self-imposed macro ban for the time being. Unless I find blue scroll....

In minor news, gave all of the hermits save for two to my LFS (there were entirely too many for this size habitat). I believe they should be content living in the stores main DT. The big one of the remaining two is Hector. My mum persuaded me that he should stay. He has been pretty chill and has already molted. The other little dude does not quite look like a zebra...white claw and orange stripes rather than white stripes. No name yet, but was more retiring than the others. I’ve been spot feeding them.

Got a handful of dwarf ceriths in now.

Annnnd I saw a large half-asterina cruising around this morning.  

There are tons of pods — mostly the tiny varieties. Maybe one day I should make a lid and get a tank-bred goby.

DAE9DE97-9E0E-427C-9589-3983C14F5211.jpeg

• Like 2
On 1/10/2020 at 1:36 AM, cosmicbread said:

😅

I mean, I’m kinda growing to dig the look, despite the unprecedented largeness of a few of these. And the freebies. Northwoodsreefer may take a few...but I wonder how difficult it would be to retain them all. 

Implementing a self-imposed macro ban for the time being. Unless I find blue scroll....

In minor news, gave all of the hermits save for two to my LFS (there were entirely too many for this size habitat). I believe they should be content living in the stores main DT. The big one of the remaining two is Hector. My mum persuaded me that he should stay. He has been pretty chill and has already molted. The other little dude does not quite look like a zebra...white claw and orange stripes rather than white stripes. No name yet, but was more retiring than the others. I’ve been spot feeding them.

Got a handful of dwarf ceriths in now.

Annnnd I saw a large half-asterina cruising around this morning.  

There are tons of pods — mostly the tiny varieties. Maybe one day I should make a lid and get a tank-bred goby.

DAE9DE97-9E0E-427C-9589-3983C14F5211.jpeg

I spend far too long looking for the other segments of asterina stars in my tanks. Coming along beautifully, gorgeous transition in the aquascape as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 1/15/2020 at 2:32 PM, Ratvan said:

I spend far too long looking for the other segments of asterina stars in my tanks. Coming along beautifully, gorgeous transition in the aquascape as well

Thank you 🙂 I can relate. Have you ever found any baby asterina legs chilling out? 

2 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

Any update on when the rocks might be coming in? 

I was told last night that they would be shipped tomorrow...which ironically is the one day I can’t go collect them from the airport 😅 Had a feeling it would work out this way. So, now it is looking like next week, If the weather holds.

Additional goings on in the mud hole:

- I removed three of the mangroves (going downhill; seemed spongey and wilting) and planted (perhaps temporarily) some of the shaving brush algae in their stead. One of the remaining mangroves is about to unfurl leaves!!

- Another type of brushy Halimeda (smaller top, need to identify) looks to have produced three new plants. You can see them jutting behind its stalk in the second pic. Kind of fang-looking.

- I installed a Tunze ATO. Helpful device but further crams equipment into the tank. I am considering adding a sump (but realistically, that prob won’t happen) and potentially finding a light to replace the Orbit. Maybe two clip lamps...I feel like this would help unclutter the aesthetic. Thinking a Tuna blue bulb and a PAR38 “full spectrum” bulb (but have no idea what to get).

- Spotted a few brittle stars 🥰

Also included in the photo update is the little toadstool, which has finally settled in and is consistently fluffy for me. My Ricordea has been moody today, wondering if it is in too much of a high flow spot.

Blurry phone contribution:

A447B243-39FC-4353-87EA-2596AF656C52.jpeg

Imminent leafing:

A9E2C869-F852-4CE5-9C91-402FA31443E7.jpeg

Lil pointy babies:

0EE7DDEF-FBE1-4BB1-B2A1-86F357FA6527.jpeg

• Like 4
10 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

Thank you 🙂 I can relate. Have you ever found any baby asterina legs chilling out? 

I was told last night that they would be shipped tomorrow...which ironically is the one day I can’t go collect them from the airport 😅 Had a feeling it would work out this way. So, now it is looking like next week, If the weather holds.

Additional goings on in the mud hole:

- I removed three of the mangroves (going downhill; seemed spongey and wilting) and planted (perhaps temporarily) some of the shaving brush algae in their stead. One of the remaining mangroves is about to unfurl leaves!!

- Another type of brushy Halimeda (smaller top, need to identify) looks to have produced three new plants. You can see them jutting behind its stalk in the second pic. Kind of fang-looking.

- I installed a Tunze ATO. Helpful device but further crams equipment into the tank. I am considering adding a sump (but realistically, that prob won’t happen) and potentially finding a light to replace the Orbit. Maybe two clip lamps...I feel like this would help unclutter the aesthetic. Thinking a Tuna blue bulb and a PAR38 “full spectrum” bulb (but have no idea what to get).

- Spotted a few brittle stars 🥰

Also included in the photo update is the little toadstool, which has finally settled in and is consistently fluffy for me. My Ricordea has been moody today, wondering if it is in too much of a high flow spot.

Blurry phone contribution:

A447B243-39FC-4353-87EA-2596AF656C52.jpeg

Imminent leafing:

A9E2C869-F852-4CE5-9C91-402FA31443E7.jpeg

Lil pointy babies:

0EE7DDEF-FBE1-4BB1-B2A1-86F357FA6527.jpeg

A couple of times yes, I had one that had lost 2 legs and saw a tiny little 2 legged star that had started to produce the rest of its legs. That was in my 2.5G Pico (now shutdown) so could afford to spend the time looking for them. Barely see any in my 34G unless I spend hours looking for them 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

hopefully not illegal things

It's either a box of rocks, or a box of freshly harvested kidneys prime for the black market. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Lypto said:

I am absolutely loving this thread, giving me ideas to exacerbate the MTS. Have you noticed any gas bubbles in the mud?

No, but I plan to poke/disturb the substrate on occasion to help mitigate that. Just small areas at a time. I moved some halimeda last night and they all were developing hecka long “roots”, so I am assuming the mud is appreciated. 🙂

Short and sweet mini update today since I’m running out the door. First, a question!

The Question: can someone recommend a decent full spec (around 6500k) PAR38 LED? I think I may sell the Orbit and replace with a sun-like LED lamp and an additional lamp for blue light. I don’t really like how the viewing is with the mostly blue Orbit.

I gently plonked the rock in last night. Can not say enough good things about TBS and I wish I could set up a larger tank with this stuff. Everything was super fresh.

I do have at least two crabs, who are staying for the moment. And a conch?

Lots of barnacles feeding. Ive also spotted a sizable tube or cup coral colony that had tentacles extended last night.

More Questions:

How often should I be broadcast feeding for the filter feeders? I have marine snow, oyster feast, phyto, and sponge excel handy.

Can anyone tell what kind of conch this is?

I almost certainly will be moving the rocks around and would appreciate your artistic ideas. 

95413DC7-5E80-4DFD-8AB4-F3243E7A79A0.jpeg

9BE1701C-379A-47B1-B72F-0C96EFD6607D.jpeg

425F5761-C8D9-4C39-A761-B0A1659CAA54.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
58 minutes ago, cosmicbread said:

No, but I plan to poke/disturb the substrate on occasion to help mitigate that. Just small areas at a time. I moved some halimeda last night and they all were developing hecka long “roots”, so I am assuming the mud is appreciated. 🙂

Short and sweet mini update today since I’m running out the door. First, a question!

The Question: can someone recommend a decent full spec (around 6500k) PAR38 LED? I think I may sell the Orbit and replace with a sun-like LED lamp and an additional lamp for blue light. I don’t really like how the viewing is with the mostly blue Orbit.

I gently plonked the rock in last night. Can not say enough good things about TBS and I wish I could set up a larger tank with this stuff. Everything was super fresh.

I do have at least two crabs, who are staying for the moment. And a conch?

Lots of barnacles feeding. Ive also spotted a sizable tube or cup coral colony that had tentacles extended last night.

More Questions:

How often should I be broadcast feeding for the filter feeders? I have marine snow, oyster feast, phyto, and sponge excel handy.

Can anyone tell what kind of conch this is?

I almost certainly will be moving the rocks around and would appreciate your artistic ideas. 

95413DC7-5E80-4DFD-8AB4-F3243E7A79A0.jpeg

9BE1701C-379A-47B1-B72F-0C96EFD6607D.jpeg

425F5761-C8D9-4C39-A761-B0A1659CAA54.jpeg

Looks like one of the predatory welks, I would remove it if possible, I also see some cup coral I think.

Feeding wise I mostly feed my feather dusters some zooplankton in the morning and they are obviously happy as I'm seeing new dusters popping out of the clumps.

10 minutes ago, Northwoodsreefer said:

Looks like one of the predatory welks, I would remove it if possible, I also see some cup coral I think.

Feeding wise I mostly feed my feather dusters some zooplankton in the morning and they are obviously happy as I'm seeing new dusters popping out of the clumps.

Ah dang. I was thinking that he seemed like one. Maybe I can set up a pest tank...cuz I’m fairly sure I have a tiny gorilla crab too.

May I ask what product you are using for the zooplankton?

4 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

Ah dang. I was thinking that he seemed like one. Maybe I can set up a pest tank...cuz I’m fairly sure I have a tiny gorilla crab too.

May I ask what product you are using for the zooplankton?

I am using seachems zooplankton and they love it, I will be hopefully getting brightwells marine snow soon. I will try that out too as I've been waitlisted for a sponsorship

• Like 2