Azure Phoenix Reefing

Cyphastrea or Leptastrea? Or...?

Azure Phoenix Reefing

I recently bought a frag, advertised as a Cyphastrea, however, I am starting to think it's a Leptastrea...I was looking for good and somewhat beginner friendly encrusting corals, which lead me to Cyphastrea, among others. But the more I look into both coral species, the more I'm thinking I bought a Leptastrea. Would love to hear your thoughts 😀 and thanks a bunch already for having a look!

inCollage_20191216_163622786.thumb.jpg.238c3140ce92c6284d19d60fbb27a441.jpg

(Apologies for the blues and quality, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Santa to help me out with a camera filter 😇)

WV Reefer
6 minutes ago, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

I recently bought a frag, advertised as a Cyphastrea, however, I am starting to think it's a Leptastrea...I was looking for good and somewhat beginner friendly encrusting corals, which lead me to Cyphastrea, among others. But the more I look into both coral species, the more I'm thinking I bought a Leptastrea. Would love to hear your thoughts 😀 and thanks a bunch already for having a look!

inCollage_20191216_163622786.thumb.jpg.238c3140ce92c6284d19d60fbb27a441.jpg

(Apologies for the blues and quality, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Santa to help me out with a camera filter 😇)

looks like hydnophora to me.

• Like 3

Azure Phoenix Reefing
4 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

looks like hydnophora to me.

Oooh, there is a new contender I hadn't considered...Or hardly ever heard of! 😅 

• Like 2

WV Reefer
1 minute ago, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

Oooh, there is a new contender I hadn't considered...Or hardly ever heard of! 😅 

If it is Hydnophora be careful with placement as they are extremely aggressive. 

Can you get a better pic of the open polyps? If they are circles then it’s probably leptastrea. Hydnophora’s polyps are more irregular. 

• Like 3

mitten_reef

the polyp pattern and shape look a lot like some of the leptastrea i've owned in the past.   

• Like 4

Azure Phoenix Reefing
2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

If it is Hydnophora be careful with placement as they are extremely aggressive. 

Can you get a better pic of the open polyps? If they are circles then it’s probably leptastrea. Hydnophora’s polyps are more irregular. 

I'll see if I can zoom in on the polyps. At the moment it is placed pretty isolated. What kind of surprised me, was how "fluffy" it got after a couple of hours in the tank. Which looks great of course, but was unexpected, haha!

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

the polyp pattern and shape look a lot like some of the leptastrea i've owned in the past.   

What was your experience with it? The frag is placed quite low, so I'd say it has low-medium light and flow wise it's in a medium flow I'd say.

• Like 1

Azure Phoenix Reefing

@WV Reefer I just took another picture of the frag. It is almost lights out over here, so I hope it will suffice. Else I'll make another one tomorrow, when the lights are brighter around midday 😁.

inCollage_20191216_193708221.thumb.jpg.92725c3c2d1db0575681cb9ce1b44238.jpg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
13 minutes ago, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

@WV Reefer I just took another picture of the frag. It is almost lights out over here, so I hope it will suffice. Else I'll make another one tomorrow, when the lights are brighter around midday 😁.

inCollage_20191216_193708221.thumb.jpg.92725c3c2d1db0575681cb9ce1b44238.jpg

leptastrea.

I have a few different types ..... they are a very underrated “filler” coral. 

• Like 3

Azure Phoenix Reefing
22 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

leptastrea.

I have a few different types ..... they are a very underrated “filler” coral. 

I do understand why they are somewhat underrated, seeing as they can look somewhat underwhelming at first. However having the coral in the tank for about a week now, and as I wrote before, I am truly "amazed" by it's fluffiness and I am really curious how it will look when it starts encrusting! Is it a fast grower? Provided it gets the right parameters of course.

• Like 1

WV Reefer
Just now, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

I do understand why they are somewhat underrated, seeing as they can look somewhat underwhelming at first. However having the coral in the tank for about a week now, and as I wrote before, I am truly "amazed" by it's fluffiness and I am really curious how it will look when it starts encrusting! Is it a fast grower? Provided it gets the right parameters of course.

I have three different types and they were all different. 

• Like 1

Clown79

I had a leptastrea that looked like that. Cynphastrea looks different

• Like 2

mitten_reef
51 minutes ago, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

It can be fast growing.  complete shade is not good for it, I had one covered entirely by a monti plate, and it slowly faded away.  

• Like 1

Azure Phoenix Reefing

I'll keep it as low in the tank as possible then and see how it goes, if it loses it's fluffy appearance, I'll move it towards a more shaded area. Thanks a bunch for all the feedback and help guys!

mitten_reef
12 minutes ago, Azure Phoenix Reefing said:

I'll keep it as low in the tank as possible then and see how it goes, if it loses it's fluffy appearance, I'll move it towards a more shaded area. Thanks a bunch for all the feedback and help guys!

don't move it into the shade.  shade = bad.  sorry, if my above post wasn't clear.  It loves light, just probably not SPS-intensity-level light.  But I guess I never tried it with strong light either, so who knows....      

Azure Phoenix Reefing
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

don't move it into the shade.  shade = bad.  sorry, if my above post wasn't clear.  It loves light, just probably not SPS-intensity-level light.  But I guess I never tried it with strong light either, so who knows....      

No worries, I'll stay clear from the shade 😁, thanks for the clarification! I am running the AB+ schedule on an AI Prime HD. So far it seems like the Leptastrea enjoys the spot it's at, so for the time being I'll leave it alone 😃.

• Like 2