ReefCleaners.org

New pico on the block (TIPS WELCOME)

BlakeM15

04/14/203EED0AB8-4FB8-40FC-88D7-72BFB54C4819.thumb.jpeg.08e593a2852d9bdc9e46b5c15c1fdb39.jpegTank:

Aqueon Rimless 5.5 gallon 

(Previous: 3 gallon JPJ Picotope)

Light:

Ai Prime Hd

Filtration:

HOB AC 70 converted to refugium (Stock jpj lighting)

ATO:

Smart ATO micro
Stock: 

blue hermit

nerite snail
(Not going into detail on coral but it’s is a mixed setup LPS dominant but a solid amount of SPS) 

This pico is a downsize from my Fluval Evo tank that I was disgusted with the rock work. 

Sadly my pico tank finished the cycle and I thought to maybe add my zoas now that it’s done to slowly add things over, well in my efforts to remove the zoas I ripped 1 and it spewed toxins from its missing head.

I was terrified and wasn’t sure if there toxins could kill my live stock. So I moved every coral and livestock over. I know many would say this is extremely foolish but in the heat of the moment I thought this was the best idea. 

For my own reinsurance I ran to Petco and picked up microbe-lift supplies that added even more bacteria and microbe-lift Xtreme Incase my parameters got to out of wack, but since I plan to do daily water changes till everything is stabilized I probably won’t need em. 

0C15EE6E-F431-4F1A-B5A6-3E69993771EF.jpeg

DF83AC49-7E56-4846-9F13-398A69B15E5F.jpeg

7005AD7D-E71B-4C72-971B-A8CADF310CA5.jpeg

• Like 7
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Sorry the Evo didn't work out for you. The JBJ pico is an old school classic and should be a great little tank. I still have mine. It is my QT. I hope you enjoy college and your tank.

6 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great to see a new JBJ picotope reef coming online, with a classic Aquaclear refugium too! Welcome to the community @BlakeM15, looking forward to seeing this pico reef grow out!

Thank you for the warm welcome guys ! 

Biggest advice I can give you. Is slow down, haste makes waste.

While daily water changes are effective. It may not be needed. Learn your box of water and rocks first. Keep a log, and write down your parameters.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, JBM said:

Biggest advice I can give you. Is slow down, haste makes waste.

While daily water changes are effective. It may not be needed. Learn your box of water and rocks first. Keep a log, and write down your parameters.

Daily water changes are just for the swing in parameters being that I added everything over in 1 day, I’ve been testing with API mast kit and I cannot tell if the ammonia and nitrite are reading 0 or .25. The nitrate for a fact is reading 0 atm and I believe that has to do with the fact that i did a WC yesterday cause the nitrates were quite high. But keeping a log is a great tip thank you !

• Like 1

Tank is officially 1 week old !

turns out the tank did cycle (much to do with good live rock purchase) all the way, I only did one water change during the whole time and that was the second day out fear of the inaccuracy of my test kits. 

just to be on the safe side I did add some microbe-lift after my weekly WC but everything seems to be doing swimmingly 

here are some fresh shots:

Also can anyone identify the coral in between the Monti cap and the chalice in the 2nd picture? 

B290483D-CF3B-40E9-9144-A01020FC4C76.thumb.jpeg.a63bbe2dabbb2a785edd745ed352e20f.jpegA42D8FC1-1A67-4A3A-ADE4-CF3A0F729938.thumb.jpeg.6e03b3582cdf4ee1ec37180cec5eb0ce.jpegF952D345-37C5-46AE-B291-F1E1EB3C553E.thumb.jpeg.a3af8cf01b109f7be5f0c126d4c0da16.jpeg

Looks like the tank swap was a smooth transfer. I loved the previous tank. I sure you will enjoy the extra room in this tank. I know you will enjoy the shrimp and goby. Sun fun to watch. Good luck with this new adventure and stay safe. 

• Like 1