Innovative Marine Aquariums

DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!

DNR88

I like odd shaped tanks between 16 and 32 gallons, not being a cube, but they're hard to find. Especially since I don't like the tanks that are only 12 inch or less deep.

The above tank is 15.75 inch wide and deep and almost 20 inch high, what makes it a cozy 21 gallon tank. 😁

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DNR88 said:

I like odd shaped tanks between 16 and 32 gallons, not being a cube, but they're hard to find. Especially since I don't like the tanks that are only 12 inch or less deep.

The above tank is 15.75 inch wide and deep and almost 20 inch high, what makes it a cozy 21 gallon tank. 😁

33 Long is the best tank size for anyone trying to stay small, but go big. So much real-estate, otherwise shallow lagoons like the half-50's and 30 breeders are just so much space to work with. it's a shame all the oddball cuts mean distributors don't have the sized-glass lying around (aka they cost 4x as much T_T)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Amphrites said:

33 Long is the best tank size for anyone trying to stay small, but go big. So much real-estate, otherwise shallow lagoons like the half-50's and 30 breeders are just so much space to work with. it's a shame all the oddball cuts mean distributors don't have the sized-glass lying around (aka they cost 4x as much T_T)

You mean 33 inch long? That's a bit too long for my taste. 😉

Half of the rocks went to the lfs today. Althought it looks pretty empty, it doesn't look that bad. And the good thing is that I now see the pygmy-couple much more. 🙂

IMGP7757.thumb.JPG.cd338e5151677a12c29fac188eeaf835.JPG

IMGP7753.thumb.JPG.2309f0cdc383bd3eea94c9ac9e1626d9.JPG

IMGP7754.thumb.JPG.557fbfac746aee5656bdf91bde87171f.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, DNR88 said:

You mean 33 inch long? That's a bit too long for my taste. 😉

Half of the rocks went to the lfs today. Althought it looks pretty empty, it doesn't look that bad. And the good thing is that I now see the pygmy-couple much more. 🙂

IMGP7757.thumb.JPG.cd338e5151677a12c29fac188eeaf835.JPG

IMGP7753.thumb.JPG.2309f0cdc383bd3eea94c9ac9e1626d9.JPG

IMGP7754.thumb.JPG.557fbfac746aee5656bdf91bde87171f.JPG

Looking good!

have to say I love the dimensions of the scaper’s tanks, you get depth in what is a small tank!

33 inches long...... you wish........... that’s just a dream! 🤣

• Haha 1

The big rock has arrived and it's impressive and heavy! Right now you are looking at the ugly side here which eventually becomes the back.

The stone should eventually stand upright.

It doesn't (yet) have as much macro algae on it as I had hoped, but I do see a lot of interesting pieces with crust-forming corals.

IMG_20200311_154059710.thumb.jpg.bdcce793a94ff960e6cf635285b7c315.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1
19 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Lol, they sent you a boulder, it might be worth it to take a hammer to it so you can scape a bit easier.

I asked specific for one large rock and I couldn't resist to put it upright.

Looks much better now.

• Like 2
cosmicbread

You know, I like it. It has a super interesting and hella unique shape. Can't wait to see it with corals.

Sorry to hear about your tank. 😞

• Like 1
6 hours ago, cosmicbread said:

You know, I like it. It has a super interesting and hella unique shape. Can't wait to see it with corals.

Sorry to hear about your tank. 😞

It really has a unique shape and it will look even better when it's in the new tank, which has a similar shape.

New plans, because I'm just not happy with the 'one bulky rock'-look and time has passed when I was happy with the 'semi-good' look and stuff. Especially when you consider what I paid for the rock(s). 😉

I will send this rock(s) back on Monday and then I wait until the 'really-good-stuff-full-with-macro-algae'-rocks are back in stock. If I have to wait two months, then that is the case.

On the other hand, the small Dennerle with the Pygmy's seems to be doing fine. 🙂

• Like 4
8 hours ago, DNR88 said:

New plans, because I'm just not happy with the 'one bulky rock'-look and time has passed when I was happy with the 'semi-good' look and stuff. Especially when you consider what I paid for the rock(s). 😉

I will send this rock(s) back on Monday and then I wait until the 'really-good-stuff-full-with-macro-algae'-rocks are back in stock. If I have to wait two months, then that is the case.

On the other hand, the small Dennerle with the Pygmy's seems to be doing fine. 🙂

So out with the big bulky rock then? I was kind of into it, but I'm curious to see what you come up with next time around. I don't even want to think about what Florida live rock must cost over there. 😅

I've been reading the thread, by the way! I'll be following along from here on out. For some reason I thought I was already! 😂 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, billygoat said:

So out with the big bulky rock then? I was kind of into it, but I'm curious to see what you come up with next time around. I don't even want to think about what Florida live rock must cost over there. 😅

I've been reading the thread, by the way! I'll be following along from here on out. For some reason I thought I was already! 😂 

You're always welcome and you're one of the reasons why I want this Florida live rock. 🙂

Do you know a seller there who could ship the rock to Europe?

I think, for the price I paid, you should get some decent live rock with tons of life and macro-algae on it.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DNR88 said:

You're always welcome and you're one of the reasons why I want this Florida live rock. 🙂

Do you know a seller there who could ship the rock to Europe?

I think, for the price I paid, you should get some decent live rock with tons of life and macro-algae on it.

Unfortunately all the sellers of which I am aware ship only to the States. ☹️ But perhaps you could arrange for a special situation if you contacted one of them directly? It would undoubtedly be extremely expensive - if it's even possible - but it might be worth looking into. I'd try KP Aquatics, gulfliverock.com or Tampa Bay Saltwater. Those are the big three sources for Flordia rock that I know of.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, DNR88 said:

Would be lovely if you could create something like this:

1833572302_Coralmacroalgae2.thumb.png.05de1d3159ce632f1cad8dcd705ee06b.png

I agree. That looks like a near-shore reef from the Indo-Pacific. Even the mangrove roots are totally encrusted with life! Absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DNR88 said:

Ow well, I didn't expect this for the new tank..! 😅

IMG_20200317_103912619_HDR.thumb.jpg.e3fc141f2306f1b5f5a016984f4d875c.jpg

This looks better already. 😊

IMG_20200317_104818616.thumb.jpg.d8c9e767fe2a4e915bf01b908ced06b4.jpg

Is that the 80ltr? A stand as well?

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

Is that the 80ltr? A stand as well?

Without a stand..! I was shocked first when I opened the door. 😲

It turned out to be a lot of cardboard, air and freshwater stuff that I can't use, but fortunately a colleague can. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • DNR88 changed the title to DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!