Innovative Marine Aquariums

DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!

DNR88

I've just started a 72 hour no-light period, which I hope will get rid of the brown cyano/dyno bacteria.

Will the corals survive the blackout-period?

• Like 1
BearTheSquare
1 hour ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

I've just started a 72 hour no-light period, which I hope will get rid of the brown cyano/dyno bacteria.

Will the corals survive the blackout-period?

They should, lps might look a little pale once the lights are back on but should color back up quickly.

• Like 1

Tomorrow morning I will take the cardboard box off after almost 60 hours of darkness. 

I didn't look under the box once, so I'm very curious what it will look like tomorrow. 😁

1 hour ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Tomorrow morning I will take the cardboard box off after almost 60 hours of darkness. 

I didn't look under the box once, so I'm very curious what it will look like tomorrow. 😁

Just be careful please..

image.thumb.jpeg.8cd34bf876ac51adf2b22321ca22e1c8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The dark period has certainly made a big difference, the sand and rocks are much cleaner now. 😊

I'm not sure if this is temporary and will be back soon, but I doubt if a new dark period is any good for the aquarium.

I now leave it for what it is, I'm still very happy with the scape and hopefully the values of nitrate and phosphate will be higher, without doing water changes.

IMGP7688.thumb.JPG.85610c5febab2e3e8d4173b0c837a1e2.JPG

IMGP7693.thumb.JPG.ee359b195fcacf1b9561b5af8f354db3.JPG

• Like 2

I did a quick PO4 and NO3 test. Nitrate seems to be pretty high with 2-4 ppm, taking into account that there is still no livestock in the aquarium. 

Phospate seems to be in the 0.06 ppm region, which is fine for me. 😊

IMG_20200206_160929289.thumb.jpg.443fabbc628fa81fbc2768bf321a3b0f.jpg

5 minutes ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

I did a quick PO4 and NO3 test. Nitrate seems to be pretty high with 2-4 ppm, taking into account that there is still no livestock in the aquarium. 

Phospate seems to be in the 0.06 ppm region, which is fine for me. 😊

IMG_20200206_160929289.thumb.jpg.443fabbc628fa81fbc2768bf321a3b0f.jpg

Is that from the "Professional Aqualab Test Kit"? Been looking at trying another test kit instead of the API version

55 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Is that from the "Professional Aqualab Test Kit"? Been looking at trying another test kit instead of the API version

No, it's from Colombo, a Dutch brand (www.colombo.nl). And they're just regular kits. 😊

• Thanks 1

I transferred my buddy Benny from the 31 gallon to this tank, which I emptied yesterday. 

IMG_20200209_185654616_BURST000_COVER_TOP.thumb.jpg.cd3eed5e7732bb0fdeb063b40e398f9d.jpg

IMG_20200209_185707156.thumb.jpg.e42c79a4a621c0f5e6bdedb97b9bfe5e.jpg

So this is now my only aquarium, which feels just fine. 😊

• Like 5

I just called a fish shop nearby to ask if a Wetmorella can be ordered.

The gods are good to me, because I was told that there is a couple Albofasciata's in quarantine! 😀

So I immediately reserved them and on Saturday I can pick them up.

• Wow 1

Went to the fish shop today to pick up the Pygmy wrasses and they are adorable!

The fish shop itself also had a really Nice Red Sea nano aquarium.IMG_20200215_135432738.thumb.jpg.0eba15fcb5af8f593f67529589bd395d.jpg

The Tanaka's Pygmy wrasses are exactly the size I was hoping for. Back home I was able to get them photographed together quickly, but it will probably be a few days before I see them again.IMG_20200215_151852592.thumb.jpg.53a9f291ed1214f36b86ddfbab90409e.jpg

• Like 6
6 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

The fish shop itself also had a really Nice Red Sea nano aquarium.IMG_20200215_135432738.thumb.jpg.0eba15fcb5af8f593f67529589bd395d.jpg

The Tanaka's Pygmy wrasses are exactly the size I was hoping for. Back home I was able to get them photographed together quickly, but it will probably be a few days before I see them again.IMG_20200215_151852592.thumb.jpg.53a9f291ed1214f36b86ddfbab90409e.jpg

Really nice colour on those.... many captive breed are loosening their deep red colour.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried many new scapes in the last two weeks, but have now come out well.

The Pygmy wrasses do well, but only really show themselves when the light is off.

This is probably because they were taken from a deeper area, but I am hopeful that they will show themselves more in the coming weeks. New photos soon.

image.png

• Like 1

I have just bought the same 55l Scaper’s to set up with my daughter for her first tank! Just building the stand now, so it should be wet in the next 2weeks and then I will be starting a thread! Great to see how yours gets on. Really strange thing is a possum wrasse was on my stock list too!

yours looks great so far! 🤔 must rebuild some rock work and get a better scape...... I have competition! 🤣

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Picogoby said:

I have just bought the same 55l Scaper’s to set up with my daughter for her first tank! Just building the stand now, so it should be wet in the next 2weeks and then I will be starting a thread! Great to see how yours gets on. Really strange thing is a possum wrasse was on my stock list too!

yours looks great so far! 🤔 must rebuild some rock work and get a better scape...... I have competition! 🤣

Great to hear you start a Dennerle Scraper's as well, you don't see them much here, but I think the building quality and dimensions are very good!

Although quit shy, Possum wrasse are the best and have a very unique character and behaviour.

I finally found the scape that's unique, different and natural looking at the same time. But it took me more than 2 months.

Good luck, would love to see your thread!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DNR88 said:

Great to hear you start a Dennerle Scraper's as well, you don't see them much here, but I think the building quality and dimensions are very good!

Although quit shy, Possum wrasse are the best and have a very unique character and behaviour.

I finally found the scape that's unique, different and natural looking at the same time. But it took me more than 2 months.

Good luck, would love to see your thread!

I am drilling the back of my tank to add return and overflow, which will allow me to use a small 25ltr sump. What level do you run the tank at? 2-3cm from the top? Yes they are great build quality and give good depth with the dimensions. 

On 2/15/2020 at 3:50 PM, DNR88 said:

Did that ted sea have a Pygmy angel in there?? What size tank was it? Sorry for the questions 😌

2 hours ago, Picogoby said:

This scape looks balanced and natural! How far it the top of the rock from the water line?

Thanks, I'm really pleased with the scape. The water line is about 2.5 cm from the top of the tank and the highest rock at the right is about 7cm from the water line.

1 minute ago, DNR88 said:

Thanks, I'm really pleased with the scape. The water line is about 2.5 cm from the top of the tanks and the highest rock at the right is about 7cm from the water line.

Thanks! Have you used the glass lid that comes with it?? Thinking I will build a mesh screen instead. The brackets for the glass lid are a bit big and it ruins the rimless look in my eyes.

• DNR88 changed the title to DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!