SaltCritters.com

DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!

DNR88

I used to have the 30liters version as my first freshwater tank. 

Ultimately I went for the 60liters cube for reefing. Can't wait to see what you gonna do with the 55 scaper.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Hey, that's a sicc voyager nano lol, love those powerheads.
I like the scape, glad you're having fun getting things figured-out.

Yes you're right it's a 1000, the smallest you can get. Very suitable for everything between 8 and (probably) 20 gallons.

The scape was more of an experiment, to see what is possible. Because the dimensions of the tank, especially the depth, are very suitable for all kind of scapes. 

But it is already different again and I think I will end up with a lagoon/bommie-style scape. 🙂

• Like 2

After re-scaping the tank about a dozen time, I finally reached my inner peace with this scape. I don't feel the urge to change anything, so that's a good sign!

Of course the corals aren't too happy with it yet and I have a small outbreak of brown algae/diatoms, but peace, calmness and weekly WC's will fix this hopefully. 😊

IMGP7651.thumb.JPG.a1e988c3b51e65d9f2ad4584f0c36350.JPG

IMGP7657.thumb.JPG.3cc329cb57fb5e6375a289082249635e.JPG

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

I'm almost positive those are dinoflagellates and not diatoms, looks like there may be a touch of chrysophytes mixed-in as well.

Thanks for your advice. But from what I've read, the only way to know for sure is to use a microscope, which I don't have..

So for now, regular waterchanges and peace will do the trick (hopefully) in the end. 😉

1 hour ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Thanks for your advice. But from what I've read, the only way to know for sure is to use a microscope, which I don't have..

So for now, regular waterchanges and peace will do the trick (hopefully) in the end. 😉

Waterchanges can make dino blooms worse, considering the recent tank-transfer I'm doubtful that the issue is too much organics, though it could be. It might be worth your time to see what your nitrate and phosphate levels are at, if they're at 0 it could create some issues.

You also do not need a scope, dino's have a very distinct appearance, if you'd like to test you can siphon some of that odd yellow-orange gunk out and into a dixie-cup with aquarium water in it, mix it up well so it's no longer congealed and is pretty-much just incorporated into the water. Then you can just set that cup near a window (some folks strain it through a paper-towel first), if it re-congeals it's dino's.

1 hour ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

Last update; I changed the position of the wavemaker. More pointed towards the surface in diagonal direction, for better circulation (hopefully) in all corners.

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

Waterchanges can make dino blooms worse, considering the recent tank-transfer I'm doubtful that the issue is too much organics, though it could be. It might be worth your time to see what your nitrate and phosphate levels are at, if they're at 0 it could create some issues.

You also do not need a scope, dino's have a very distinct appearance, if you'd like to test you can siphon some of that odd yellow-orange gunk out and into a dixie-cup with aquarium water in it, mix it up well so it's no longer congealed and is pretty-much just incorporated into the water. Then you can just set that cup near a window (some folks strain it through a paper-towel first), if it re-congeals it's dino's.

Okay, I will not do a waterchange for the next few weeks and I'll probably do a 72 hour no-light period when I'm out of town at the turn of the year.

I don't want to do any chemical treatment, so I want to solve it in a 'natural' way.

On the positive side, I see a lot of very tiny copepods on the glass and somewhat bigger amphipods walking on the rocks, so I think that's a good sign. 😊

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't you worry, the tank is still much alive!

All the best for this new year and I hope this will be the year that finally one tank will settle down and I have good hope this will be the one. 

Haven't done any WC's and everything seems to be getting better every day, but very slow..

Maybe I get a Rainfordi Goby this weekend and hope to make some new pictures as well. 😊👍

• Like 1

After almost a month, I thought it would be a nice day to add the first fish, a Rainfordi goby. I was lucky to find someone in the city who had one swimming.

It's very small, shy and pretty thin, but it can already be seen outside, so I think that's a good sign and it should have enough food to live on. 😊

IMGP7663.thumb.JPG.3c2e33293c85153e384947d520adba5c.JPG

And for the tank itself, the scape changed, but I'm very happy with the look and feel of it. The corals show very slow progress. 🙂

IMGP7670.thumb.JPG.b72ac29d0bad83431dbebeccced22d83.JPG

IMGP7672.thumb.JPG.be500838d0a784ab6d8b60724e44f240.JPG

IMGP7675.thumb.JPG.50c521c1e8e62e74414ebf1f0a043645.JPG

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I really hope the rainford eats and fattens-up for you, I like the new scape quite allot, best one yet.

There should be enough food, so I'm pretty positive. It has already found a favorite place under the rocks.

And I'm really keen on this scape, I'm for 90% convinced this scape will last for the lifespan of this tank. 😎😑

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I still haven't found the rest in the tank I was looking for. It's still going and the Rainfordi goby is doing fine, but the rest is pretty much (still) a mess..

So I will use this post to show you a video I discovered on YT and thought I would share with you all. Normally, the coral/reef movies are about fast moving cameras and chasing down the big animals, but this video is a calm detailed display of slow moving corals and all the nice fish living around it. It really calmed me down and once again I realized how beautiful and fragile the underwater world is.

http://youtu.be/cmmKhKqfwYg

• 2 weeks later...

The Rainford goby didn't make it, 100 percent my fault, because I couldn't keep my hands off the aquarium and it died because of the stress and the agitation in the tank.. 😞

The scape has changed a dozen time in the meantime. Here are two examples:

IMGP7683.thumb.JPG.d1b2691a20bbbd2988b6c06ac95b94e8.JPG

IMGP7687.thumb.JPG.02ba332a9ea1981d27e3ad60b5f8692c.JPG

I have found the end result (hopefully) yesterday and hope to take some pictures of it next week. I am looking for a both natural and artistic scape, but I'm having a difficult time finding that ideal combination. On the other hand I can't wait to see everything grow and make it into a real 'mini-reef', but my lack of patience really kills me sometimes..

Better days will come for the tank..! 🙂

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

The scape has changed a dozen time in the meantime.

I have found the end result (hopefully) yesterday and hope to take some pictures of it next week. I am looking for a both natural and artistic scape, but I'm having a difficult time finding that ideal combination. On the other hand I can't wait to see everything grow and make it into a real 'mini-reef', but my lack of patience really kills me sometimes..

Better days will come for the tank..! 🙂

Look no further, I showed all of your scape images to the Cleaner Shrimp 🦐 community and they came up with the following sketch:

DNR88s.jpg.6c9b346223aedbd7641f6443ca36aa2a.jpg

They said they would love to "hang out" under that arch. 🙂

• Like 2

Haha Seadragon that is fantastic, thank you very much!

If I had planned to take a cleaner shrimp, it would definitly be a good option, great inspiration. 👍😊

• Like 2

Just a fancy over saturated and contrasting picture just before sunset.

But the scape and shapes are just so right now (for me), feeling totally Zen and Yin Yang. I'm so happy and couldn't wait to share it with you! 😁🤗IMG_20200131_235546629.thumb.jpg.27507397c485f1bf09db4871625a57d4.jpg

• Like 2
  • DNR88 changed the title to DNR88's Dennerle Scaper's 18.5g - The End..!