Pod Your Reef

Red Sea NO3 PO4 x and chemipure elite

gusto

Hello,

My phosphates reading is about .14 with a Hanna checker and I was looking to reduce them a bit, I was going to dose with Red Sea NO3 PO4 start off with half the dosage and run my protein skimmer can I continue to keep my chemipure elite and pruigen in the media basket? 

Thank you!! I will run both.. right now I have some green hair algae.. I have a nuvo 30 with zoa's, mushrooms and some LPs.. my nitrates are 10 where should I aim to have my phosphates? Right now my Hanna is telling me .13

20191215_153916.jpg

Lots of different factors. Eliminating NO2 and PO4 is no longer the goal, having low levels. SPS need cleaner water and Zoa's LPS can do well with higher values. 

1. How do the corals look?

2. .1-.5 PO4 and 1-5 NO2 are probably reasonable goals. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, picoreef78 said:

Glad to hear that! Nice when things start to work out!

Yes, thank you!!   Still have a little hair algae but not bad

On 12/31/2019 at 8:45 AM, Mazzy21 said:

I personally would add Phosguard. I think you will find that strips the phosphates pretty quickly.

I'm using Purigen right now and Chemipure elite..  would Phosguard be better than Purigen? Thanks

Your numbers are about perfect....even SPS aren't going to have a problem, though that's a popular notion.

Don't make the mistake of doing organic carbon like nopox....its a nitrate reducer, not a phosphate reducer anyway.  Only incidental levels of PO4 will be removed as bacteria grow and spread.  LOTS of nitrate will be removed however, as it will be used for its oxygen as well as a nutrient.

Control algae with your fingers and a cleanup crew of herbivores.  Keep scavengers to a minimum.

Ditch the phosphate removers and any other excess filtration.....just use your live rock and (at most) a protein skimmer.

• Like 3
On 1/1/2020 at 12:36 PM, gusto said:

Yes, thank you!!   Still have a little hair algae but not bad

I'm using Purigen right now and Chemipure elite..  would Phosguard be better than Purigen? Thanks

Honestly I'm in the middle of trying to figure out this very question. I used to use regular carbon, Purigen, and Phosguard, but I hated how fast the regular carbon needed to be changed so I made the switch to Chemipure Elite just now (literally put it in tonight), and right now I have it with Purigen. I don't have any Phosguard at the moment. I suspect that the best combo is going to be Chemipure with Phosguard, but this is jsut speculation at this point as I haven't tried that combo yet.

I personally really like Phosguard though. Technically you should find the problem with your high phosphates and correct that, but frankly I"m lazy and Phosguard is a great product and it works for me. It's supposed to be a hobby, something you enjoy, not something that just stresses you out and makes you work at it constantly. At least that's the way I view my tank.

Yes,   trying to make my decision today..  Since it's weekly maintenance day and I know it's time to change the purigen..   I might remove it and just check my phosphates daily but have something on hand..  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I added a macroalgea reactor. It has reduced my levels to 0 on both, but I already was pretty close. My pH is up to a constant 8.2 which is new for me. 

I have three bags of chemipure blue and thinking of just using carbon for now. Phosguard and Purigen are both phosphate absorbers and are already in chemipure elite. 

Agree with you are in a pretty good range to begin with. 

I have had an experience with GFO in decreasing phosphates too past and killing corals so be careful with being over aggressive. 

Thank you..  I was thinking about going back to using cheato in the back chamber..  When I first set the tank up I had some in the media basket with a light but I think the tank was too new (water was too clean) and it died..

So far about 1 month out with Macroalgea reactor and just tossed half of the algae, it grew to fill the chamber.  levels still at 0 and pistil a solid 8.2. For me this is t he best I have had the pH which would hover 7.8-8.0 prior. 

My Chemipure I think was exhausted so I switched to just carbon. I am getting a dusting of glass algae now every 3-4 days that needs to be scraped. 

My next plan is to get Ulva and toss it into the reactor with the Chaeto and hopefully grow treats for the Tangs