Jackal227

Jackal's Nuvo EXT 50 Lagoon

Jackal227

Completed the first water change today.  I'm going to be doing 5 gallon changes bi-weekly and we'll see how it does.

I added two Banggai Cardinals to the Biocube to start their quarantine/observation period.  I also picked up a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to add some more movement to the tank:

spacer.png

The corals all seem to still be happy. 

The Acan garden:

spacer.png

Start of the Zoa garden:

spacer.png

Leptastrea with Palys and Trumpets:

spacer.png

The Euphyllia with Duncan:

spacer.png

Jackal227

I added an anemone to the tank.  I've always wanted to have one and hope that one day my clowns may find it.  So far it's stayed in the rock that I designed for it.  Time will tell if it works in the long term 🤞I chose a green one with a nice looking speckled pattern and purple tips:

spacer.png

It's only been a couple days but it seems happy so far.  I also picked up a couple frags with it that I'll get some pics up once they get mounted.

• Like 1

Jackal227

We're now 1 month in.  The corals have survived so far.  There's been very little algae growth on the rocks but the film on the glass and the macro in the refugium are growing consistently so the clean up crew has been minimal.

In a few weeks I plan on adding the rest of the fish from the Biocube and looking for some new additions to start their observation period.

1 Month FTS:

spacer.png

• Like 2

Daan6661

Love the scape man! Can't wait to get my hands on a deep dimension tank one day.

How's the nem doing? still in the same place? I love them but the stress they give me when they start walking around is not worth it for me haha.

Jackal227
6 hours ago, Daan6661 said:

Love the scape man! Can't wait to get my hands on a deep dimension tank one day.

How's the nem doing? still in the same place? I love them but the stress they give me when they start walking around is not worth it for me haha.

Thank you.

So far the anemone hasn't moved since it's been in the tank.  Sometimes it's sticking further out off the rock but it still always has its foot in the same crack. 

When I built the aquascape the cave island in the front was designed with an anemone in mind.  It is very porous with many crevices on each side.  From what I've researched the anemones like a deep crevice to stick their foot into.  Hopefully it continues to like this rock.

Now, I've got to get my clowns to discover that it's there.  I've been feeding them directly over the nem in hopes that they'll hang out in that corner more.

spacer.png

Jackal227

I moved some more livestock over from the Biocube.  Added the Royal Gramma, Baggai Cardinalfish, Purple Urchin, and the Fighting Conch:

spacer.png

I've also noticed that the green hammer coral has gotten significantly lighter in color:

spacer.png

After thinking about it, where it was located in the Biocube it was mostly underneath the purple hammer (shaded).  So I'm thinking the lighting difference is causing a bit of bleaching.  It's still got a little color and it took several weeks to lighten up like that so I think I'm going to let it ride for now to see if it adapts on it's own because the other one next to it seems fine.  If it continues to get lighter I may have to move it lower.

The rest of the corals seem to doing well though.

• Like 3

Tank's coming along!!! Looking great man!

• Like 1

ninjamyst

Bleaching can also be from lack of nutrients.  What's the nitrate and phosphate level?

Jackal227
2 hours ago, 10001110101 said:

Tank's coming along!!! Looking great man!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

Bleaching can also be from lack of nutrients.  What's the nitrate and phosphate level?

I agree that it could be due to a lack of nutrients.  They really haven't turned white but are definitely lighter in color.

I don't have a phosphate test and I've never gotten a Nitrate reading on either of my tanks.  I've been feeding a little heavier to see if there's any effect.  As long as they continue to hold steady and not get worse then I'm going to give them some time to see if they recover on their own.

• Like 1