Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Hey 🤗🤗

Rastareefer

I’m Michael, 34 years old from the UK. Just started out in the marine hobby with a nano reef tank, using the fluval evo 13.5gal with upgraded lighting (AI Prime HD16), Hydor Aqamai wavemaker and I’ve converted the middle section of the sump on the back into a chaeto refugium using the stock lighting for the tank attached to the back side of the sump on an alternate light schedule.

Tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks now, been introducing livestock and coral for the last 2 weeks and everything is looking healthy and happy.

I did originally have a juvenile filefish in there to deal with what I thought was aiptasia until I discovered they’re actually strawberry anemones (I’m keeping them bc they’re pretty) and he started munching on my acan and GSP instead so he went back to my LFS regrettably, because I loved having him in the tank and surprisingly he became a favourite quickly.

I’ve now got two clowns and a tailspot blenny in there along with a fire shrimp and CUC (mostly Astraea snails, couple turbo snails and some hermits), I’ve probably got room for another small fish (thinking maybe a royal gramma to add some colour/activity) but leaving that for a couple of months at least so my tank settles.

Water parameters have been good (other than a spike in KH caused by me upping the PH with bicarbonate of soda without thinking about the impact) and besides a few patches of hair algae which seems to be mostly kept in check by the CUC I’m having a really good time so far. 👍🏻👍🏻

I’ve got 13 corals I think at last count, mostly LPS with a few softies. Both Florida and Yuma Ricordeas, all three types of Euphyllia (with torch being my favourite, weirdly), an acan lord, a favia, GSP, a really healthy and active blasto, a couple of zoa/paly frags, a neon candy cane, a duncan (who’s been in my tank for nearly 2 days and still won’t open) and a nice green toadstool. All but the duncan and a zoa frag that both went in yesterday morning are doing really well, hoping they’ll both be fine when they settle.

Pics of the tank attached, nice to meet you all. 😁😁 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Welcome, nice tank 👍🏼

Thanks! I’ve been on retainer for the last few weeks with plenty of down-time so I’ve been obsessing over this as a new project, absolutely loving it so far (though my bank account isn’t 😂) and can’t wait to start seeing growth. 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

Welcome, really nice set up. I would worry about the Tailspot and gramma myself. 

I have a TSB who kept nailing my clown who got too close to his barnacle. Had to pull one and the clown was easiest (although probably wrong choice but too late now) the gramma would prefer a similar territory. 

Maybe a small goby, different body shape to the blenny? 

Duncan should be fine. Mine was my first ever coral and I havent killed it yet. A few others but my Duncan seems to be pretty hardy. 

Zoas I cant seem to keep small frags alive, I'm nervous to do my rocks but I need to free up some space and settle things in the tank. 

Where in the UK are you?

• Like 4

I’m based in Lincoln, you’re from the UK too? What part?

Interesting to know about the gramma, and aggression issues were a concern I had since it’s a basslet and they can be pretty obnoxious from what I’ve heard.

I’d love a goby, but at the same time I don’t see my blenny sharing his algae patch (he already pecks at hermits when they come onto it 😂) and don’t want to instigate anything. Do you reckon he’d play nice with a clown goby? Seen a couple in my LFS and love the way they look. 

Welcome to N-R, and sweet tank! 😁 You've already got some very beautiful corals in there. Here's hoping things get even better in the months (and years!) to come!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Rastareefer said:

I’m Michael, 34 years old from the UK. Just started out in the marine hobby with a nano reef tank, using the fluval evo 13.5gal with upgraded lighting (AI Prime HD16), Hydor Aqamai wavemaker and I’ve converted the middle section of the sump on the back into a chaeto refugium using the stock lighting for the tank attached to the back side of the sump on an alternate light schedule.

Tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks now, been introducing livestock and coral for the last 2 weeks and everything is looking healthy and happy.

I did originally have a juvenile filefish in there to deal with what I thought was aiptasia until I discovered they’re actually strawberry anemones (I’m keeping them bc they’re pretty) and he started munching on my acan and GSP instead so he went back to my LFS regrettably, because I loved having him in the tank and surprisingly he became a favourite quickly.

I’ve now got two clowns and a tailspot blenny in there along with a fire shrimp and CUC (mostly Astraea snails, couple turbo snails and some hermits), I’ve probably got room for another small fish (thinking maybe a royal gramma to add some colour/activity) but leaving that for a couple of months at least so my tank settles.

Water parameters have been good (other than a spike in KH caused by me upping the PH with bicarbonate of soda without thinking about the impact) and besides a few patches of hair algae which seems to be mostly kept in check by the CUC I’m having a really good time so far. 👍🏻👍🏻

I’ve got 13 corals I think at last count, mostly LPS with a few softies. Both Florida and Yuma Ricordeas, all three types of Euphyllia (with torch being my favourite, weirdly), an acan lord, a favia, GSP, a really healthy and active blasto, a couple of zoa/paly frags, a neon candy cane, a duncan (who’s been in my tank for nearly 2 days and still won’t open) and a nice green toadstool. All but the duncan and a zoa frag that both went in yesterday morning are doing really well, hoping they’ll both be fine when they settle.

Pics of the tank attached, nice to meet you all. 😁😁 

image.jpg

image.jpg

:welcome:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Rastareefer said:

I’m based in Lincoln, you’re from the UK too? What part?

Interesting to know about the gramma, and aggression issues were a concern I had since it’s a basslet and they can be pretty obnoxious from what I’ve heard.

I’d love a goby, but at the same time I don’t see my blenny sharing his algae patch (he already pecks at hermits when they come onto it 😂) and don’t want to instigate anything. Do you reckon he’d play nice with a clown goby? Seen a couple in my LFS and love the way they look. 

Portsmouth born living in Leeds at the minute. Not that far away truth be told.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Portsmouth born living in Leeds at the minute. Not that far away truth be told.

Ah nice! I grew up in Reading and moved up to Lincoln a few years ago, good memories of visiting mates at uni in Portsmouth 😁😁

• Like 1