SaltCritters.com

New to saltwater looking to set up a innovative marine 25 gallon lagoon

Zwalter38

Hello everyone! I am new to saltwater however am not new to the fish keeping hobby. I am looking to set up a reef tank possibly fish only not sure yet. I like zoas a lot so not sure yet. I am looking into the innovative marine 25 gallon lagoon. I like the all in one cause I’m short on space. Here is some of the equipment I was thinking about: I would like to use 2 InTank media baskets, a inTank fuge basket in one of the other chambers, some type of protein skimmer in the other chamber (suggestions needed), and a two little fishies GFO phosban reactor 150. Any other equipment like lighting powerheads and heaters please makes suggestions thanks in advance!

• Wow 1
1 hour ago, Zwalter38 said:

Hello everyone! I am new to saltwater however am not new to the fish keeping hobby. I am looking to set up a reef tank possibly fish only not sure yet. I like zoas a lot so not sure yet. I am looking into the innovative marine 25 gallon lagoon. I like the all in one cause I’m short on space. Here is some of the equipment I was thinking about: I would like to use 2 InTank media baskets, a inTank fuge basket in one of the other chambers, some type of protein skimmer in the other chamber (suggestions needed), and a two little fishies GFO phosban reactor 150. Any other equipment like lighting powerheads and heaters please makes suggestions thanks in advance!

Too much filtration. A common mistake. You will starve zoas or get slower growth as corals need nutrients to grow and thrive. Especially zoas!

skip the GFO for sure!!

You can use a intank floss basket on one side and media basket on the other. I have no idea what a person would need two baskets of media for. 

Add the skimmer or fuge basket if it is needed. As in....add it later if your tank is struggling with high nutrients that even zoas don't like. It may just be a waste of money otherwise. 

Cobalt are popular heaters and AI prime or nanobox for lighting. Popular wavemakers are MP10s, jebaos, and kps.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Too much filtration. A common mistake. You will starve zoas or get slower growth as corals need nutrients to grow and thrive. Especially zoas!

skip the GFO for sure!!

You can use a intank floss basket on one side and media basket on the other. I have no idea what a person would need two baskets of media for. 

Add the skimmer or fuge basket if it is needed. As in....add it later if your tank is struggling with high nutrients that even zoas don't like. It may just be a waste of money otherwise. 

Cobalt are popular heaters and AI prime or nanobox for lighting. Popular wavemakers are MP10s, jebaos, and kps.

Thank you for the advice! If I wasn’t doing Corals would that still be too much filtration? And I’ve heard about the AI primes would I need one or two of them if I wasn’t planning on any type of sps 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, Zwalter38 said:

Thank you for the advice! If I wasn’t doing Corals would that still be too much filtration? And I’ve heard about the AI primes would I need one or two of them if I wasn’t planning on any type of sps 

Ya, that's a lot of filtration which isn't necessary.

I Ai worked on mine just fine, I only added a second 1 because of my coral placement/growth/and rockwork.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Zwalter38 said:

One prime should be fine.

I would still not do that much filtration with just fish. If you have too low of nutrients you end up with dinoflagellates.

• Wow 1
4 minutes ago, Zwalter38 said:

Ok so dump the reactor. Should I get some sort of protein skimmer or no? 

Wait and see. You can always add it later.

Mine grow fastest when I miss water changes and let the nitrate climb to 15-20ish. 

• Like 1

A skimmer and reactor is not necessary

Keeping things simple is best.

A lot of people buy all this stuff marketed to us and often simple water changes and good husbandry is enough

• Like 1

Yea I understand that is isn’t necessary I’m just kinda a nerd when it comes to that kinda stuff I like the different equipment that saltwater aquariums have to offer but I am on a budget anyway so... but again thanks for the advice! I really like the design of the IM lagoon any other tanks that may be similar but a better option?