inTank Media Baskets

Making a Sherman Rose anemone tank - Any advice?

LogicalReefs

I’m making a 10 gallon strictly Sherman Rose anemone tank. Will use hang on back filter and ocean current pump on opposite end for flow. What tips can any one give me when it comes to anemone care? Any tips on rock work for anemones? Should I use sand?

For live stock I plan to have to Clownfish to hopefully get them to host.

Sand is optional. Anemones need a stable, well-established tank to do well.

10gal is really not a lot of space for a bubble tip anemone. It's probably doable to some extent, but will be tricky to manage bio-load, especially with fish. 20gal would be better if you can manage it.

37 minutes ago, Tired said:

Sand is optional. Anemones need a stable, well-established tank to do well.

10gal is really not a lot of space for a bubble tip anemone. It's probably doable to some extent, but will be tricky to manage bio-load, especially with fish. 20gal would be better if you can manage it.

I have a twenty I can use. I have a Innovative  marine 20 black series tank. The way I have my tank set up I’ll have to paint the back and right side of the tank. I was going to do rock work on mostly one side of the tank. So like sloping up into the corner. I don’t know how that would work out though. 

That could be nice, sure. Be sure your nem has plenty of places to be, they like to move around and find spots. If you go bare-bottom, it might go and stick on the bottom of the tank, so that's a potential downside if you don't want it there. 

What kind of clowns were you thinking of? 

4 hours ago, Tired said:

That could be nice, sure. Be sure your nem has plenty of places to be, they like to move around and find spots. If you go bare-bottom, it might go and stick on the bottom of the tank, so that's a potential downside if you don't want it there. 

What kind of clowns were you thinking of? 

Since I was thinking of 2 clowns I’d like to get two regular ocellaris clownfish. I’d try to find the brightest orange ones I could fine. I’m not that into designer clowns personally.

I have a pico tank already set up running so I will use the rock from their to help seed the tank with bacteria. I’ll also dose bio spira and microbactera 7. I was thinking of getting the clowns first with CUC and let the bio filter set up for maybe a month or 2 and then try for an anemone. I might do other corals but I’d want the tank to be primarily a anemone tank. Might even do sexy shrimp lol.

Only worry I have is lighting. I have a kessil a160we and I don’t know if that will be enough for the tank. I can’t run T5 but I’m more than willing to spend on another better light if need be. I always wanted AI prime but don’t wanna spend money buying two if one isn’t enough. 

NoOneLikesADryTang

BTA's tend to wander a lot, and just when you think they've found a place they like, they'll show who's boss, and move again. 

I'd highly recommend some sort of guard for your filter/pump to keep from any anemone mishaps. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

BTA's tend to wander a lot, and just when you think they've found a place they like, they'll show who's boss, and move again. 

I'd highly recommend some sort of guard for your filter/pump to keep from any anemone mishaps. 

Thanks. I’ll definitely do that.

You want the tank up for more than 2 months, especially starting from just a few pieces of rock, for an anemone. Bubble tips in particular need well established tanks, and 2 months is still very young. 

I have 3 bta's in my 20g.

They are easy to keep, imo. Mine have been happy even with high phos.

They like light, seem to enjoy a nice a flow.

They do move when flow/light is changed.

They like rocks, particularly attaching into a hole in the rock.

I feed mine 1 time a week.

• Like 3

The kessil will be enough on that size tank, the IM20 will be a better choice because you wont have to run a powerhead like in the 10 gallon and risk sucking up your nem when/if it moves.  They do enjoy flow but they also do well in low flow scenarios with just the flow from your return pump.  

2 hours ago, Timaaa said:

The kessil will be enough on that size tank, the IM20 will be a better choice because you wont have to run a powerhead like in the 10 gallon and risk sucking up your nem when/if it moves.  They do enjoy flow but they also do well in low flow scenarios with just the flow from your return pump.  

Ya, I run mine with just the mighty jet return pump and rfg nozzles. I wanted to avoid using a powerhead. 

I would go the IM20 but don’t wanna fork over another $200 dollars for one. I already have the other 2 tanks already. The only thing I would need to buy would be sand, rocks and water. Still debating doing 10 or 20. Quick google search showed smaller tanks with anemones. My think is I don’t want to do 5 gallon water changes every week on the 20. Id rather do 1-2 gallons on the 10.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, LogicalReefs said:

I would go the IM20 but don’t wanna fork over another $200 dollars for one. I already have the other 2 tanks already. The only thing I would need to buy would be sand, rocks and water. Still debating doing 10 or 20. Quick google search showed smaller tanks with anemones. My think is I don’t want to do 5 gallon water changes every week on the 20. Id rather do 1-2 gallons on the 10.

I don't do 5g a week.

There is no magic number for water changes. It's really a guideline.  Each tanks needs are different

If an anemone did hypothetically put off enough waste to need a 5gal change per week in a 20, you'd probably have to do 5gal water changes on the 10, too. The anemone is going to put off the same amount of waste regardless of tank size, so a larger tank is better to dilute that. 

Also, how many of those tanks have full-sized anemones in them? It's a much different matter when it's not a cute little tiny thing.

27 minutes ago, Tired said:

If an anemone did hypothetically put off enough waste to need a 5gal change per week in a 20, you'd probably have to do 5gal water changes on the 10, too. The anemone is going to put off the same amount of waste regardless of tank size, so a larger tank is better to dilute that. 

Also, how many of those tanks have full-sized anemones in them? It's a much different matter when it's not a cute little tiny thing.

I didn’t think about that. That actually a really good point about the waste the anemone produces. I guess if I went the 10 gallons route I could possibly just go with smaller Sherman rose anemones and split them once they get bigger. I really want an anemone tank but then again the room I have is pretty limited.

45 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

I didn’t think about that. That actually a really good point about the waste the anemone produces. I guess if I went the 10 gallons route I could possibly just go with smaller Sherman rose anemones and split them once they get bigger. I really want an anemone tank but then again the room I have is pretty limited.

In my 10g for example, 2 bta's I had 2-5 nitrates and high phos. No I'll effects with high phos.

In my 20g, same nitrates, lower phosphate but I think I have more using up the nutrients as I have more corals 

Each tank is different.

Bta's don't grow that fast. Know eventually you may need to rehome it, like many things with nano's. 

I would consider powerhead issues. I got rfg nozzles and use no powerhead to avoid any potential issues.

My bta's don't move very much. They stay in the same area. When they are happy, they don't travel.

20191021_170202.jpg

• Like 3