Pod Your Reef

20L AIO build

waldoz

I talked to my son about it but don't know how fast we will get it wet. Might take few months just for that. LoL  We still have some time left 😬

• Like 2

Yeah I think we're going to do it. Don't know how far we will get but he's game. We were going to start a tank thread anyways. 😁 After this one gets done.

• Like 1

Do it! Give the little push, order some salt and grab some media to at least get it cycled! This is exactly the sort of build I was talking about in the discussion thread for the contest 🙂 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, righttirefire said:

@Matteo you got some live rock? Or @spectra

@waldoz i bet if you get some dry rock these guys could drop it in their sumps and get it going live. If you ask nicely

I have some but it has aids on it...................aptasia growing............the butterfly keeps them in check.............plus the shrimp might be in one........its in there somewhere..........

I think dry rock would be best and just add bacteria...........

• Like 3
6 hours ago, righttirefire said:

@waldoz i bet if you get some dry rock these guys could drop it in their sumps and get it going live. If you ask nicely

What's a sump? 😜

Nah all my live rock is in use unfortunately. I'd check offer up. Lots of people who lable reefs as "saltwater fish tank" and it's the same story. Started up and got bored or didn't wanna upkeep it. Lot of fully up and running tanks I'm sure you could snag some rock from. 

I could totally supply a small Tupperware of sand and rubble? I feel like my tank has a very healthy and diverse microfauna/bacteria going for it. 

I have 0 pest. No aptasia, no invasive algae, no worms etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
righttirefire
1 hour ago, Matteo said:

What's a sump?

All the cool kids run sumps. I said after my IM8 I'd never do another AIO... than the IM25 Lagoon... 

You must be reefing wrong if you have 0 pests, aptasia, algea, or worms.

• Haha 3
31 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

All the cool kids run sumps. I said after my IM8 I'd never do another AIO... than the IM25 Lagoon... 

You must be reefing wrong if you have 0 pests, aptasia, algea, or worms.

Always rock a gold standard pony boy 

21 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Do it! Give the little push, order some salt and grab some media to at least get it cycled! This is exactly the sort of build I was talking about in the discussion thread for the contest 🙂 

Yeah was excited  when  the   thread started. Every time I open it up its explodes thought.  lol

20 hours ago, righttirefire said:

We have rock but since   reef box had to close been looking   for used Rodi.  Think we are going to just get  distilled   stuff to get us started.

20 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

If you were local I'd hook you up for sure 🙂 

Yeah these guys have already  done a lot for us already   and very great full for it.☺

18 hours ago, spectra said:

I have some but it has aids on it...................aptasia growing............the butterfly keeps them in check.............plus the shrimp might be in one........its in there somewhere..........

I think dry rock would be best and just add bacteria...........

Yeah   the bacteria   is what we were looking   to kick start.

14 hours ago, Matteo said:

What's a sump? 😜

Nah all my live rock is in use unfortunately. I'd check offer up. Lots of people who lable reefs as "saltwater fish tank" and it's the same story. Started up and got bored or didn't wanna upkeep it. Lot of fully up and running tanks I'm sure you could snag some rock from. 

I could totally supply a small Tupperware of sand and rubble? I feel like my tank has a very healthy and diverse microfauna/bacteria going for it. 

That would   be great!   That way I  could   just put the rubble  on the dry rock   in the tank and dump the sand in first   before  we put in the Fiji  pink. I  can pm you when we're close and a range  a pickup. :)

• Like 1
righttirefire

I ordered the spectrapure aquarium package

https://www.spectrapure.com/product/aquarium-ro-di-starter-kit-includes-ro-di-tds-meters-aso-check-valve-aqua-st-kit-ii/

Mine was on sale and older model. Mine came with handheld tds meter. 

But the rodi system seemed like overkill until i bought it and now mix 44 brute can of salt and it lasts 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

If you have a brute can or a way to haul water I can get you RODI water...……..I am not far from where RB was...…….just let me know and can make 30 gallons and have it waiting...…..

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, righttirefire said:

I ordered the spectrapure aquarium package

https://www.spectrapure.com/product/aquarium-ro-di-starter-kit-includes-ro-di-tds-meters-aso-check-valve-aqua-st-kit-ii/

Mine was on sale and older model. Mine came with handheld tds meter. 

But the rodi system seemed like overkill until i bought it and now mix 44 brute can of salt and it lasts 4 weeks. 

Yeah   looked at these probably  down the road they are nice.

18 minutes ago, spectra said:

If you have a brute can or a way to haul water I can get you RODI water...……..I am not far from where RB was...…….just let me know and can make 30 gallons and have it waiting...…..

That would   be great to get us going! Will have  to figure  out how to transport  it. Might   just be four 5 gallon  buckets.  I   can pm you when   we are ready .   The stand needs repaint and fixture mounting arm needs to be moved to the end.  I hope by next week   to get that done.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, waldoz said:

Yeah   looked at these probably  down the road they are nice.

That would   be great to get us going! Will have  to figure  out how to transport  it. Might   just be four 5 gallon  buckets.  I   can pm you when   we are ready .   The stand needs repaint and fixture mounting arm needs to be moved to the end.  I hope by next week   to get that done.

Just let me know a day ahead of time and can turn on the RO unit. 

Also maybe stop by Winco they have 5 gallon containers with the screw on lids for sale. Not sure what they cost but great for storing water. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, waldoz said:

Yeah was excited  when  the   thread started. Every time I open it up its explodes thought.  lol

We have rock but since   reef box had to close been looking   for used Rodi.  Think we are going to just get  distilled   stuff to get us started.

Yeah these guys have already  done a lot for us already   and very great full for it.☺

Yeah   the bacteria   is what we were looking   to kick start.

That would   be great!   That way I  could   just put the rubble  on the dry rock   in the tank and dump the sand in first   before  we put in the Fiji  pink. I  can pm you when we're close and a range  a pickup. 🙂

Please do! I'll hook you up 🙂

Edit: the rubble and sand would be best placed once you already have your fiji sand. That way as the tank is cycling the new sand will start to get its own funk going for it and by adding mine that will simply help Kickstart it once it's been up for a little bit. 

If you add bacteria in too a tank with high amonia it may kill it defeating the purpose. But then again it is a food source once broken down.. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

Love the spill way!!

Yeah I saw the  card on yours and I don't know how tight our basket is going to be.  So I figured I would try it out and see how it works.  My 3d printer guy is out for a week 😞 so slow progress.  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I think this thread is done.   I finished up the Media tray  so here are the results.

IMG_20200222_103914605.thumb.jpg.d7d959f805f33047fd772a7c3e1e7a37.jpg

Two trays out and we can take the bottom one out two depending on what we end up with.

IMG_20200222_103955511.thumb.jpg.c26056db779c23184b33c33c1a604d08.jpg

I had to do some sanding just to make sure it fit snug but not to tight as to flex the wall on the inside.

IMG_20200222_103929395.thumb.jpg.ab739bddb2c5f243f7be7626c282edc3.jpg

Here it is installed.  I have about and inch and a half from the bottom of the weir holes. That should be enough room for filter floss. I did make the top of the basket tall enough so when we go to put a lid or cover on, it will act like a shelf.🙂

IMG_20200222_104056640.thumb.jpg.7d93a6ea88e38eb952d742c46584e190.jpg

The spill way did turned out ok, but I think Its a little small and I measure to the inside instead of the outside.  So it looks little tight and some water will go on the outside.  It only took an hr to print so will prob make another one down the road.

IMG_20200222_104440461.thumb.jpg.9777074b2bbbcf1bfbc45954400a005b.jpg

So this concludes this build thread.  I will be posting any further updates on my main journal thread for the 356 day AIO challenge.  Feel free to leave comments or ask questions. I hope this build thread helps someone out in the future. 🙂 

• Like 2

Not sure right now.  The stand is done needs to be painted and I have to 3d print some spacers for the light.  Also waiting for a bag of Fiji pink sand to get back in stock so we can order salt sand and test kit.