Phantomwerkz

Diving back in w/29 gal setup

Phantomwerkz

After a long layover, this beginner is getting ready to jump back in with another 29 gallon glass setup. Originally was going to re-use old equipment but have decided to start all new, as it's sat for 15 years. Right now I need to settle on a new stand and hood setup and then should be ready to go. Originally trying to plan ahead for later on being able to go to sump/refugium, but I'm now thinking I'm just going to stick with HOB for this setup. Journal will be here.

Previously, in my attempt to ease maintenance, my thoughts were to make sure I had more than necessary filtration, flow and heat requirements. I still feel like this is a good method so I'm looking at the following equipment as my starting point:

Filter - Aquaclear 110 HOB Filter

Powerheads - Current eFlux Wave Pump - 660 GPH (x2)

Lighting - Current Orbit Marine 24"-36” LOOP LED

Heating - IOAOI 100W (possibly x2)

Substrate - Carid Sea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand, 10# Dry Rock and Various Dry Clean Coral Skeletons

Here's what I'm looking at for a couple of questions to start with:

HOB AC110 - Setup and run stock to start, upgrade to InTank Media Basket with Skimmer or something in between?

Skimmer - Since I'm trying to keep things as tidy as possible with a HOB setup, my initial thoughts are for something to fit the InTank Media Basket. Recommendations (both in or out)?

Thanks!

sadie

I have no idea about any of your questions, sorry, just wanted to say welcome back to the hobby!

• Thanks 1

Phantomwerkz

So after looking into AC110 Fuge mods and still working on where I want to go, I'm thinking of shifting gears a smidge. I saw mention from someone regarding the Tidal 110 and I think I'm going to try that route. I like the fact that I can hang the heater on the side of it, includes a skimmer built in, has lots of options for media, variable flow settings with quiet operation and a self priming pump, I think there are more pros than cons to this unit and even though I've used AC in the past without much issue, this looks like a strong choice to try. I don't really NEED a skimmer, though I had one coming already so I think I'll just return it and the AC110 and go with the Tidal to start. Still need to figure out my stand and hood situation along with where this is all going to be located (debating three different spots) but I think I'm getting closer to where I need to be. Salt, Sand, Testing kit and some chemicals are enroute but probably still a month out from setup.  Getting excited to get going though.

• Like 1

Humblefish

The Seachem Tidal is a good HOB filter, but it doesn't come with a built-in protein skimmer. The "skimmer" just skims water off the surface into the filter. Just FYI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Phantomwerkz
10 hours ago, Humblefish said:

The Seachem Tidal is a good HOB filter, but it doesn't come with a built-in protein skimmer. The "skimmer" just skims water off the surface into the filter. Just FYI.

Gotcha. I don't think it's a "need" to start though and already decided to keep the one I have arriving today, as it could also be used in my future EVO 13.5 that's on my short list. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Clown79

The tidal is an awesome filter and by far better than the AC. The tidal is the best hob I have ever used, I've used many over 20yrs.

The surface skimmer really helps, you won't get the build up on the surface. 

The basket is huge, some heaters will fit in it.

It's the quietest filter ever. 

• Like 3

Phantomwerkz
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The tidal is an awesome filter and by far better than the AC. The tidal is the best hob I have ever used, I've used many over 20yrs.

The surface skimmer really helps, you won't get the build up on the surface. 

The basket is huge, some heaters will fit in it.

It's the quietest filter ever. 

I'm looking forward to it... I think it's going to be great for my use case. 

Clown79
3 minutes ago, Phantomwerkz said:

I'm looking forward to it... I think it's going to be great for my use case. 

I was pleasantly surprised by the filter. It's really solidly made and a sicce pump really sold me.

The basket is huge, you could mod it really well to do multiple functions

• Like 1

Humblefish

^^ Agree; I use Seachem Tidals on all my QTs:

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

Phantomwerkz

Getting closer to being able to get wet. Dry ARC rock came in and starting to get ideas on scape. Thoughts on these two scape scenarios and secondly should I remove a few pieces? This is a 25# order plus two additional skeletons I have. Will also be putting in about 30# of sand (Pink Fiji) to go for a 1.5"-2" bed.

Trying to narrow down my stock selection and order of introduction.  I'll post that list soon for comments.

Thanks!

IMG_20200203_214013379~2.jpg

IMG_20200203_204616886~2.jpg

mcarroll
On 12/17/2019 at 9:44 PM, Phantomwerkz said:

So after looking into AC110 Fuge mods and still working on where I want to go, I'm thinking of shifting gears a smidge.

IMO a protein skimmer would be a better option for a reef tank.  No real need for extra mechanical or other filtration beyond that.

I'd consider one of Tunze's skimmers or one of their Reefpack systems that includes the skimmer and a filter (and maybe ATO) too.....the filter is useful in that (depending on model) it hides your heater and ATO sensor(s) in addition to it being a capable filter.  I run mine empty most of the time, but occasionally I've used it for mechanical and for activated carbon.  Their protein skimmers are NICE.

Check out the Comline® Reefpack 250 and the standalone skimmer from that kit, the Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004:

Reefpack:

Comline® Reefpack 250

Skimmer-only:

Comline® DOC Skimmer 9004 

There's another model (9004DC) that has a DC controllable pump....shouldn't be necessary for your tank though.

Here's a breakout of the filter module in the Reefpack that shows the heater spot.  The little black nub on the top-right is the ATO sensor. 

(The cable has been photoshopped out of the pic so it looks like nub.  😉

It works on surface suction AND suction from the bottom, which is depth adjustable.3162.000#01.jpg

On 12/8/2019 at 6:16 PM, Phantomwerkz said:

Previously, in my attempt to ease maintenance, my thoughts were to make sure I had more than necessary filtration, flow and heat requirements. I still feel like this is a good method

Overkill is not a good design method.

Too much filtration creates low-nutrient problems. 

Too much heater creates the risk of cooking your tank FAST in the event of failure. 

Too much flow (as in too much GPH) isn't really possible, but if you pick too large of a pump it might be difficult to find a place for it to work.

mcarroll

I guess a link might help too:

Comline® Reefpack 250

(They make smaller and larger models too, BTW.)

Phantomwerkz
On 2/10/2020 at 12:17 AM, mcarroll said:

IMO a protein skimmer would be a better option for a reef tank.  No real need for extra mechanical or other filtration beyond that.

Previously already had picked an AQUATIC LIFE 115 Mini Internal Protein Skimmer but currently holding off on it's installation at this point. Hung onto it to either use here or with a possible future EVO 13.5.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:17 AM, mcarroll said:

Overkill is not a good design method.

Too much filtration creates low-nutrient problems. 

Too much heater creates the risk of cooking your tank FAST in the event of failure. 

Too much flow (as in too much GPH) isn't really possible, but if you pick too large of a pump it might be difficult to find a place for it to work.

On a basic level, yes I agree. I have tried to make "informed" decisions on equipment though based on starting out as more of a FOWLR setup that is able to start the transition to REEF. I realize some additional upgrades may be needed, but I wanted a solid foundation without breaking the bank. I have PLENTY of flow capability with the Tidal but it also has the option to turn that down. Also, my two current DC powerheads are adjustable as well and I'm still contemplating one or two smaller ones still. 

For heating, I hear you fully... which is why I'm running twin 100w on an Inkbird Digital outlet. Partially for redundancy but also to try and control any runaway condition.

I think I have a solid base to work from as I start out, but I'm definitely still looking at others' setups and noting what seems to work or not. I also try to keep in mind that I can reuse my current pieces in other tanks (hospital, quarantine, fuge, etc.) if needed.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into those skimmers again as well.

Hopefully have an update after this weekend and if all goes well, looking to get it wet before months end!

• Like 1

Phantomwerkz
On 2/4/2020 at 1:52 PM, Phantomwerkz said:

Trying to narrow down my stock selection and order of introduction.  I'll post that list soon for comments.

So think I'm going to go with a pair of Clowns, Tail Spot Blenny, Watchman Goby (yellow?) and CUC (snails, crabs and possibly brittle star?). Still debating a shrimp.

Now I'm just trying to decide on the order of introduction.

• Like 1

mcarroll

Smallest critters first, working up to largest.

Begin with just a snail or crab, or two.

At least a week or two between additions.

And when you get to the larger critters (fish) add no more than one at a time for best results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phantomwerkz

Ok... trying to stay on track for the tank to get wet this weekend and start cycling. I have some cable management both in and out of the tank I'm trying to work out.

Any slick ideas in regards to this for the Inkbird temp probe? Also for the powerhead cord section in the tank?

I'm a little short on the LED cables to cleanly run them like I want and still have a drip loop. Unfortunately an extension is 9' long and $15... massive overkill on this setup. May have to rethink. I'm not super happy with the mounts either as they hang too far front on this 29gal setup.

Recommendation for solid, accurate thermometer to calibrate the Inkbird as well? I got a two pack of digital ones from Amazon and I'm concerned with their accuracy.

Last question, currently planning on placing rock on bare glass and then dumping my reef sand in. Any issues with this route versus say dripping in a small amount of sand, placing the rock and then adding the rest? 

Thanks everyone.