Coral Vue Hydros

Christmas trees and reef tanks?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

Probably an odd question...

We typically get a real Christmas tree each year. If we set it up next to our tank and a few needles fall in, will it hurt the tank? Any other concerns with a tree in close proximity to the tank? The gate we usually use to protect the tree from our toddlers is currently in use around the tank, wondering if we can kill two birds with one stone. If the needles would hurt the tank but there’s no other concerns maybe I could find something clear to cover up my mesh top for the next couple of weeks. 

Pine resin is toxic to some invertebrates in a bid to make pine trees inedible by bugs, so I wouldn't let them get in there. Definitely cover your tank. And if at all possible, set it away from the tank anyway. Christmas trees are often sprayed with pesticides to try to prevent interstate transport of pests, and could potentially off-gas those to some degree.

Though you could see about getting an organic tree. Just check it over if you do- last organic tree we got had a mantis egg case on it! They look kind of like a bit of runaway spray-can insulation foam. If you find one on your tree, either put it outside in a garden, or in a container in your fridge (with air holes) until spring, so the cold will keep the eggs from hatching. Then you can bring the eggs out in spring and let 'em hatch. That's really not a complaint, mind you, that was a big bonus in our opinion.

• Like 1

Someone recently asked a question regarding real trees because their skimmer went crazy.

What was mentioned was pesticides used on them.

I would imagine that would be a concern.

Just now, DSA65PRO said:

I've never had a problem with a Fraiser Fir near the tank. Just be careful with high CO2, from a house full of guest, which can cause your pH to drop to dangerous levels. 

dosing eggnog can act as a ph buffer 

NaturallyKait
10 hours ago, DSA65PRO said:

I've never had a problem with a Fraiser Fir near the tank. Just be careful with high CO2, from a house full of guest, which can cause your pH to drop to dangerous levels. 

Trust me, no one wants to be in my tiny house with 3 rowdy kids. Thankfully we don’t host events 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It'll be fine - I've had real Christmas trees since I started my nano and they've always been extremely close to the tank until we got a house. I've had plenty of pine needles in my tank and never had an issue. Skimmer pulls them out just fine if you don't happen to catch them floating on the surface.

The amount of pesticide you will get from a couple pine needles is likely far less than if you just have a dog or cat in your house that uses Flea/Tick/Mosquito protection. I pull tons of dog hair out of my skimmer regularly and I've only got a couple of beagles.

NaturallyKait
2 hours ago, jservedio said:

It'll be fine - I've had real Christmas trees since I started my nano and they've always been extremely close to the tank until we got a house. I've had plenty of pine needles in my tank and never had an issue. Skimmer pulls them out just fine if you don't happen to catch them floating on the surface.

The amount of pesticide you will get from a couple pine needles is likely far less than if you just have a dog or cat in your house that uses Flea/Tick/Mosquito protection. I pull tons of dog hair out of my skimmer regularly and I've only got a couple of beagles.

I do pull a lot of cat hair out with my floss lol. 

• Haha 1