Jump to content
NoOneLikesADryTang

MACNA 2020 - Phoenix

Recommended Posts

NoOneLikesADryTang

At our local (Arizona) reef club meeting today, I grabbed few MACNA postcards. The president of our club is highly involved with MACNA (he’ll also be putting on a presentation at it), so we’ve got the inside line for goodies. 
 

PM me your address if you’d like me to drop one in the mail for you! 

771F22DF-BDDA-4F0F-847A-3FEFB6A82788.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ef4life

I’ve never been to a macna before, I do plan on going to this one since I’m local. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks

I will definitely be there! I never thought we'd host MACNA here in Phoenix! ❤️ 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
banasophia

Looking forward to it! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

I will definitely be there! I never thought we'd host MACNA here in Phoenix! ❤️ 

Agreed! If the Coral Farmers Market from last weekend was any indication, MACNA will be a huge success here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Sancho

Can’t wait!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
ef4life
12 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Agreed! If the Coral Farmers Market from last weekend was any indication, MACNA will be a huge success here. 

How was that? I was going to go but I ended up helping fix some plumbing at my parents house.

Share this post


Link to post
Christopher Marks
13 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

Agreed! If the Coral Farmers Market from last weekend was any indication, MACNA will be a huge success here. 

Keep me in the loop on the next one, I'll try to make it! Are they usually on Saturdays?

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
5 hours ago, ef4life said:

How was that? I was going to go but I ended up helping fix some plumbing at my parents house.

It was good - it was really busy. There were some absolutely gorgeous pieces there. 
 

I picked up 4 Zoa Frags (Afterburners, Buttmunchers, Butt Kissers and Pink Zippers), and the tank keeper picked up a three Acros and a yellow eyed Goni that is stunning. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
4 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Keep me in the loop on the next one, I'll try to make it! Are they usually on Saturdays?

The Coral Farmers Market was an event put on by Steve Tyree. I’m not sure they have anything scheduled here again, but there was some talk of them doing another one in the winter of next year(or early 2021) I believe the next west coast one is in February in San Jose, and there is one in San Diego in May. 
 

As for the local group, I think it’s tentatively scheduled for the 11th of January - but the location has not been determined yet. (Our regular meeting spot for the last couple of years is no longer available to us.) The February meeting is scheduled for the 15th, and it’s going to be at one of the guys in the groups house, that’s on the west side. They are always on Saturdays, usually at 3pm. Would love to get a celebrity like you there! 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
ef4life
5 minutes ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The Coral Farmers Market was an event put on by Steve Tyree. I’m not sure they have anything scheduled here again, but there was some talk of them doing another one in the winter of next year(or early 2021) I believe the next west coast one is in February in San Jose, and there is one in San Diego in May. 
 

As for the local group, I think it’s tentatively scheduled for the 11th of January - but the location has not been determined yet. (Our regular meeting spot for the last couple of years is no longer available to us.) The February meeting is scheduled for the 15th, and it’s going to be at one of the guys in the groups house, that’s on the west side. They are always on Saturdays, usually at 3pm. Would love to get a celebrity like you there! 😁

Azfrag meetings? I need to join.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
44 minutes ago, ef4life said:

Azfrag meetings? I need to join.

Yes. Mostly organized on the other messaging board. It’s well worth the $10 annual fee. There’s so much knowledge within that group. 
 

They also bring in guest speakers a couple of times a year (we had two last year, and both were fantastic). They do a fragging demo every year, and you end up with 6-8 Corals (if you want them) for free. It’s a great group to be involved with.  After most meetings there’s a small auction where members can sell Frags in an auction and you can usually get a pretty good deal on some stuff. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee

MACNA day passes are up on the site so I'm looking into taking a trip out. My sister lives in Scottsdale, so we're familiar with the area and would love to visit again. 

 

Since we'll be visiting with my sister some, we'll probably be down there a full week - would be my husband, my almost-2-year -old and myself. I think that full conference passes would be wasted on my husband, and I'm also unlikely to attend all 3 days by myself. I am considering grabbing a couple of day passes and maybe a Reception or Banquet pass. Floor passes are only $20 and I assume the Daily ticket for $35 would include any speakers for that day. 

 

I'm interested to hear what people think of bringing a husband and kid who have very little interest in the saltwater hobby, as well as ideas for anything else to see in Phoenix while we are there with a child. When we've visited before, we didn't have our son and spent a decent amount of time hiking, I'm not sure he could hang long enough for that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
14 hours ago, kimberbee said:

MACNA day passes are up on the site so I'm looking into taking a trip out. My sister lives in Scottsdale, so we're familiar with the area and would love to visit again. 

 

Since we'll be visiting with my sister some, we'll probably be down there a full week - would be my husband, my almost-2-year -old and myself. I think that full conference passes would be wasted on my husband, and I'm also unlikely to attend all 3 days by myself. I am considering grabbing a couple of day passes and maybe a Reception or Banquet pass. Floor passes are only $20 and I assume the Daily ticket for $35 would include any speakers for that day. 

 

I'm interested to hear what people think of bringing a husband and kid who have very little interest in the saltwater hobby, as well as ideas for anything else to see in Phoenix while we are there with a child. When we've visited before, we didn't have our son and spent a decent amount of time hiking, I'm not sure he could hang long enough for that.

You’re welcome to tag along with the tank keeper and I, for any or all of the events you’d like to. The problem with it in August, is it’ll be brutally hot. The highs will most likely be 110+, so pretty much anything outside is a no go. There is a LegoLand Discovery Center that may be worth checking out that’s in Tempe (probably 20-30 minutes away from Scottsdale). There are also a couple of aquariums. Ha! Hopefully others with young children will chime in. There’s also a pretty good water park in Mesa, that has night events in the summer, if the daytime heat is too much to bare (it is). 
 

@Christopher Marks We should probably start planning a NanoReef get together for MACNA! 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
kimberbee
8 hours ago, NoOneLikesADryTang said:

The problem with it in August, is it’ll be brutally hot.

Thanks for all the info and saying I can tag along! I'm hoping there'll be enough people there for me to meet that I don't have to follow one person around the whole time like a lost little puppy. 

 

The heat is honestly the one reason the trip hasn't been booked - we've been talking about visiting my sister since we were last there 2 years ago - even more so once MACNA was announced to be happening there. 

 

We may splurge a bit for a hotel with a really nice pool then. Does it get too hot for daytime swimming? We are typically outside people when we can be. Though with the little one, he should be taking one long afternoon nap by then, so maybe we'll miss the peak of the heat?

Share this post


Link to post
NoOneLikesADryTang
2 hours ago, kimberbee said:

Thanks for all the info and saying I can tag along! I'm hoping there'll be enough people there for me to meet that I don't have to follow one person around the whole time like a lost little puppy. 

 

The heat is honestly the one reason the trip hasn't been booked - we've been talking about visiting my sister since we were last there 2 years ago - even more so once MACNA was announced to be happening there. 

 

We may splurge a bit for a hotel with a really nice pool then. Does it get too hot for daytime swimming? We are typically outside people when we can be. Though with the little one, he should be taking one long afternoon nap by then, so maybe we'll miss the peak of the heat?

Mornings for pool time would probably be your best bet (90-100 degrees) and wear lots of sun screen. There’s lots of beautiful hotels here, and most of them are pretty empty in the summer time, so the rates are good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...