Innovative Marine Aquariums

calcium imbalance

peytron

Hey guys,

I started dosing last week on a newish tank to gradually move my parameters closer to 8dKH and 417 ppm calcium to maintain long-term. Twice a day I've been adding a couple mLs of each of the cal and alk parts of B-Ionic 2-part. I only tracked alkalinity and saw it gradually moving towards my desired parameters.

At the end of the adjustment, I checked calcium and found that it was lower than it should be (8.3alk, 385 cal). I stopped dosing and continued to test over the next few days. The tank dropped to 7.7dKH, 355 cal.

To probe the problem, I mixed some fresh salt water from red sea blue bucket. This, at 1.025 s.g., measured 5.7dKH and 320ppm calcium. For reference, 5.7dKH should correspond to 401ppm calcium. I believe my refractometer may need to be calibrated as the salt should mix at higher alkalinity for 1.025 according to the label, however that doesn't explain why the calcium is so far out of balance. 

My question for you guys is: do you think it's fair to say that the alk-cal imbalance was originally caused by my salt mix, especially since no other reasonable explanation (adding the parts out of proportion or adding any sort of buffer or other component that could cause an imbalance) seems to be plausible? Or, do you think it's more likely that my test kit (salifert) is giving me low readings for calcium and there simply isn't a problem?

Thanks in advance!

Have you checked online for your batches parameters?

Do you stir the sand around to get it dispersed evenly before use?

Have you checked magnesium?

Unfortunately if your salt is mixing that low(which is very odd), you will constantly be dosing, every waterchange will reduce the levels unless you dose your mixed salt water 

Clown79, 

I just looked up the batch and everything checks out fine. 

I did not stir the salt before use--is this something that should be standard practice?

I just checked mag, and it comes out to 1020ppm.

52 minutes ago, peytron said:

Clown79, 

I just looked up the batch and everything checks out fine. 

I did not stir the salt before use--is this something that should be standard practice?

I just checked mag, and it comes out to 1020ppm.

Ya, most of us stir or roll the bucket to evenly disperse the salt.

That's very low mag, is that newly mixed saltwater or from the tank?

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, peytron said:

My question for you guys is: do you think it's fair to say that the alk-cal imbalance was originally caused by my salt mix

Yes.

😊

On 12/7/2019 at 8:30 PM, Clown79 said:

Ya, most of us stir or roll the bucket to evenly disperse the salt.

23 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Yes.

😊

That's what I do. I stir it before every use.

Some brands unfortunately can precipitate if mixed wrong or stored too long.

RSCP, aquaforest are 2 I know of that do and have specific mixing instructions and storing times.

• Like 1