Jump to content
xiaoxiy

Fiji Cube 81G EXT: SPS Canyon - Two crashes in 3 months

Recommended Posts

xiaoxiy

I did the basement sump last weekend. It took 2 days and a total of 20+ hours. It was a nightmare and I was so sore afterwards. It's super nice to not have to bend underneath a cramped stand to do maintenance though. I love it, but will never do it again on a running tank.

 

106239980_196069055161070_3840932225599341327_n.thumb.jpg.89e7e0904f57181d36f03981a901d5a2.jpg

 

Tank had a brief and mild bacterial bloom, but stabilized quickly afterwards. Seems to be doing well.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Wow 3

Share this post


Link to post
Elizabeth94

Wow looks fantastic. Love the openness of your scape. I planed a minimal scape with my current tank but it didn’t end up that way lol! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo

Looks like you have room for a Giant sump... 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, xiaoxiy said:

I did the basement sump last weekend. It took 2 days and a total of 20+ hours. It was a nightmare and I was so sore afterwards. It's super nice to not have to bend underneath a cramped stand to do maintenance though. I love it, but will never do it again on a running tank.

 

106239980_196069055161070_3840932225599341327_n.thumb.jpg.89e7e0904f57181d36f03981a901d5a2.jpg

 

Tank had a brief and mild bacterial bloom, but stabilized quickly afterwards. Seems to be doing well.

 

 

Looks great! T u running alkatronic for full alk automation?

1 hour ago, Matteo said:

Looks like you have room for a Giant sump... 

Kinda what I thought too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy
On 7/11/2020 at 5:30 PM, Elizabeth94 said:

Wow looks fantastic. Love the openness of your scape. I planed a minimal scape with my current tank but it didn’t end up that way lol! 

Thank you so much for the compliment. It’s so hard to not fill the tank up with rocks initially and to let corals grow in. I took a chance by keeping the rock work minimal and the structures small, but it’s starting to pay off. Tank definitely looked empty for the first few months....

On 7/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, Matteo said:

Looks like you have room for a Giant sump... 

Shush! Don’t tempt me. I’m gonna use that extra space for a frag tank and a fragging station!

On 7/11/2020 at 7:28 PM, mitten_reef said:

Looks great! T u running alkatronic for full alk automation?

I’m only using the alkatronic for its automated testing abilities. It’s not controlling any of my dosers. 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Glauber Carvalho
On 4/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, xiaoxiy said:

I've also scraped the back glass and the water has cleared up some. Really glad I scraped the glass; now the scape really stands out.

 

IMG_9573.thumb.jpg.7edbf95c08224cbeecde8a9460ce70dd.jpg

Beatifull! Congratulations! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

Frag tank installed and running! It's 20x20x8. I plan on using my old ATI powermodule with BML actinic strip to light it. I'm going to also try and run it without a powerhead, instead using a 1/2 inch RFG with a Sicce 2.0 return (~4-500gph).

 

IMG_3913.thumb.jpg.f4a87e637fbef1ab341eb13f1f0ef968.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
7 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Frag tank installed and running! It's 20x20x8. I plan on using my old ATI powermodule with BML actinic strip to light it. I'm going to also try and run it without a powerhead, instead using a 1/2 inch RFG with a Sicce 2.0 return (~4-500gph).

 

IMG_3913.thumb.jpg.f4a87e637fbef1ab341eb13f1f0ef968.jpg

your fish room looks like a fun place to be 😄.  you're sharing the sump with the display, I'm guessing, seeing that you raised the tank up off of the main table.  hey, that must be the ATI PM that I wanted a while back 😜, glad you could use it again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo

I wanna fish room.... 

 

My office has two tanks in it but not the reef nor the fun tools and equipment for fish keeping 😛

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy
50 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

your fish room looks like a fun place to be 😄.  you're sharing the sump with the display, I'm guessing, seeing that you raised the tank up off of the main table.  hey, that must be the ATI PM that I wanted a while back 😜, glad you could use it again.

Exactly! Now that the frag tank is set up, my problem biggest problem is I don't have any frags to put into it! 🤣

 

5 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I wanna fish room.... 

 

My office has two tanks in it but not the reef nor the fun tools and equipment for fish keeping 😛

I had always wanted a fish room. It's definitely nice to have the sump and equipment in a completely different room from the tank. No more contorting into odd body shapes to fit myself underneath the stand to do maintenance. 

 

I highly recommend doing a fish tank room if you ever get the chance!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
2 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

Exactly! Now that the frag tank is set up, my problem biggest problem is I don't have any frags to put into it! 🤣

 

I had always wanted a fish room. It's definitely nice to have the sump and equipment in a completely different room from the tank. No more contorting into odd body shapes to fit myself underneath the stand to do maintenance. 

 

I highly recommend doing a fish tank room if you ever get the chance!

 

Remote sump is the goal someday for sure! 

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy
Just now, Matteo said:

Remote sump is the goal someday for sure! 

Freaking PITA to set up on a pre-existing system though. I recommend setting up a remote sump from the git-go if you decide on getting one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
Just now, xiaoxiy said:

Freaking PITA to set up on a pre-existing system though. I recommend setting up a remote sump from the git-go if you decide on getting one. 

I need a house first 🤣

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Matteo
On 7/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, xiaoxiy said:

I did the basement sump last weekend. It took 2 days and a total of 20+ hours. It was a nightmare and I was so sore afterwards. It's super nice to not have to bend underneath a cramped stand to do maintenance though. I love it, but will never do it again on a running tank.

 

106239980_196069055161070_3840932225599341327_n.thumb.jpg.89e7e0904f57181d36f03981a901d5a2.jpg

 

Tank had a brief and mild bacterial bloom, but stabilized quickly afterwards. Seems to be doing well.

 

 

I love that you have damsels. Super underrated reef fish for large tanks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

It's been about a month since I last posted. In the interim, I've added a frag tank to my system. It's 20x20x8, and runs off of a Radion Gen 3 XR30 and a Sicce 2.0 with RFG. I've cut several frags in the interim as well, and gave a couple packs away to my local reefer friends as back up, in case of a stormy day. 

 

Here's today's FTS:

IMG_4086.thumb.JPG.60634944a8238f678adac91dbc89b6b6.JPG

 

Playing around with the Radion.

IMG_3964.thumb.jpg.f295c193c7982b89c67ff16ea26ee4cb.jpg

 

I ended up cutting a number of frags to grow out in the basement: Here are a select number of them.

1529273095_Bounce8162020.thumb.JPG.f0086e55f1b7f988a469d2b13dc7c4b5.JPG 861281133_OrangeYuma8162020.thumb.JPG.10261e28465cc04b1a6260b7722f4a8a.JPG 509475987_PurpleFrogspawn8162020.thumb.JPG.cb2f53b8458995f23587e52135350d7f.JPG 1658743383_MiamiChalice18162020.thumb.JPG.ee8fcf5b7ad0b09d302e819153c92c06.JPG 1557648429_Chalice28162020.thumb.JPG.a793892336327b88a8d45d03f76f3cc5.JPG 1340147742_BlueMillepora8162020.thumb.JPG.e9e3701e650fd582bf7e9a2a38e3940b.JPG 984120711_BlueBonnet8162020.thumb.JPG.1b0a366ce94bc3446284458dd34c12c3.JPG 1620676760_WaltDisney28162020.thumb.JPG.df352e0ca44d92b1286d84392fb77625.JPG 854045034_WaltDisney18162020.thumb.JPG.ce584e71ac52cdfc1394c92f2d3a39d9.JPG 324193987_PinkFloyd8162020.thumb.JPG.787daf52e4aa68bc5ea16ecc8189b664.JPG 573447145_PearlBerry8162020.thumb.JPG.6ca4820c28c11ab318dc1bd06e234a71.JPG 190374564_PinkCaddy8162020.thumb.JPG.9d220725df2ba2d94cc2843d170ca46a.JPG Hawkins Echinata 8:16:2020.JPG 363778783_PinkLemonade8162020.thumb.JPG.89152c37479129fa9633f552591d4636.JPG 1382616917_UnknownAcro8162020.thumb.JPG.e6f9e0f1e9155969ed50e8cb80dc1d04.JPG 2142247631_WWCYellowTips18162020.thumb.JPG.e212104e3c168a3e38b0ce634a857247.JPG 

 

  • Like 4
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef

The next thing you know, you’ll be installing an 8’ raceway in the basement. 🤣
a nuce collection of frags there. I especially like that solid red Yuma. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy
On 8/16/2020 at 12:02 PM, mitten_reef said:

The next thing you know, you’ll be installing an 8’ raceway in the basement. 🤣

Now now....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

I tried my best at taking a top down of the two front structures. Sorry for the glare, distortion and graininess. I think I need a porthole...

 

IMG_4226.thumb.JPG.09f8e2527d1ce6c51ecf34dc3c665ab8.JPG IMG_4227.thumb.JPG.a45c9fbadd23d5755b62eb8dae19cc6b.JPG

 

Here's a quick obligatory growth gif. Last week to yesterday.

 

giphy.gif giphy.gif

 

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Reefkid88

Whew looking stellar !!! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

A couple updates.

 

The Bad:

I found these buggers and bite marks on two acro colonies. I’ve removed, scraped, dipped and reglued every single acro colony in my tank now...
 C72C72F1-1146-4BEE-AD73-60205EF65D4B.thumb.jpeg.1c652d7ed75074c7347273139a0cebc6.jpeg
 

The Good
I picked up this pretty nem. Bonus points if you can guess which it is!

2BF4D4D3-9ADA-4509-8DDE-12B24F83C831.thumb.png.ae8c38b79906ba7709e61b9cfafd96ba.png 5A84B871-E253-43F5-B799-C773DE21AEAD.thumb.jpeg.24a1054c7065d04510d1fb07b07613dc.jpeg 850E3066-10B1-4219-8215-DAEB30E1B02E.thumb.jpeg.3c96ac0f4f689c8a8e528f2cf16cde59.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

Share this post


Link to post
Reefkid88

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say a CSB ? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

Here it is under 10k lighting. This baby is the brightest coral I’ve ever seen.

35C390CC-5E87-41F2-A2A9-8E8AA2410503.thumb.jpeg.22d4ec5075e5919832f514c92d034394.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy

I don't know if anyone is still following my thread, but a friend came over and took some awesome shots of my tank. I'll slowly upload them over the course of the next month.

 

1621327304_XiaoxiBlueHammer.thumb.jpg.b033a07b823b2f91830f05c1b10ee72a.jpg 1458878939_ClownsEuphyllia.thumb.jpg.000d790cd114918cb56279c742effbb1.jpg

 

1722239126_XiaoxiFTSSide.thumb.jpg.4bd89c20d19e218f40f24b066d8ab095.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
mitten_reef
25 minutes ago, xiaoxiy said:

I don't know if anyone is still following my thread, but a friend came over and took some awesome shots of my tank. I'll slowly upload them over the course of the next month.

 

1621327304_XiaoxiBlueHammer.thumb.jpg.b033a07b823b2f91830f05c1b10ee72a.jpg 1458878939_ClownsEuphyllia.thumb.jpg.000d790cd114918cb56279c742effbb1.jpg

 

1722239126_XiaoxiFTSSide.thumb.jpg.4bd89c20d19e218f40f24b066d8ab095.jpg

That fish shot is crisp!!! Wow 😲. Well done by your friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
xiaoxiy
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

That fish shot is crisp!!! Wow 😲. Well done by your friend. 

Right? His shots are insane. Here are a couple more. I think he sent me over 50 pictures.

 

1115971591_XiaoxiAussieGold.thumb.jpg.33b90601f303cc6b5fd4dacb53e917fe.jpg

 

753240403_XiaoxiBlueMille.thumb.jpg.8e5edf71e13ed0efa352bb79266e4229.jpg

 

1344391093_XiaoxiPnkMille.thumb.jpg.cc09f38d8a4408070b588c8868173d5b.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...