Coral Vue Hydros

Filter Floss/HOB Filter

Samppson

Hi,

So I picked up the 17g ADA 60P tank. Im trying to make a minimalistic set-up to start and want to have as little in the tank as possible as far as equipment.

I noticed some people mentioning filter floss in a HOB filter. What HOB's do people use for stuff like that? Ideally it would be great if I could put my heater in it as well.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Samppson said:

Hi,

So I picked up the 17g ADA 60P tank. Im trying to make a minimalistic set-up to start and want to have as little in the tank as possible as far as equipment.

I noticed some people mentioning filter floss in a HOB filter. What HOB's do people use for stuff like that? Ideally it would be great if I could put my heater in it as well.

Thanks!

Aquaclear with InTank Media Basket is a popular option for HOB.  the new Seachem Tidal are pretty cool too.   

• Like 1

Ya, the Aquaclears are awesome.  You dont even need a media basket from InTank, just use the basket it comes with, stack the sponge and filter pad on top of each other.

I used the AC's for years, the best HOB filters.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Aquaclear with InTank Media Basket is a popular option for HOB.  the new Seachem Tidal are pretty cool too.   

Awesome, do you have a particuliar size that would be ideal for a 17g? thanks!

2 hours ago, Samppson said:

no, I haven’t used any of them personally.  Try to search on here to see pro’s and con’s of the various sizes. I think the 70 and 110 can even hide a small heater in them, which is nice to have one less thing inside the tank. 

5 hours ago, Samppson said:

Hi,

Thanks!

My favorite is the seachem tidal because it has a huge basket which you can do a lot with, a surface skimmer, its silent, sicce pump, and the flow is completely customizable not just high/low.

It's also black so if you do a black background, it blends.

Solid build too

I used the 55 on my 15g.

Depending on heater length and what you wanna do with the filter ex. Media, fuge, heater will depend on how big you go.

You can make easy baskets out of eggcrate or plastic craft mesh

• Like 2
On 12/5/2019 at 4:38 PM, Samppson said:

I would use the 50, use the sponge for bio filter, but toss it after 3 months.  I always changed mine when I was using them in case they ended up leaching nitrates into the tank.

I used the aquaclear 30 for my 12G and wanted more flow and turnover.  Whats cool about the Aquaclear you can adjust the flow rate of the of the filter.

Keep it simple and the hobby will reward you.  I loved using those Aquaclear in spite of everything people say about HOBs.

Honestly depend on what you want to keep. You can keep that size tank at a stable .2-.4 phosphate and 30-40ppm nitrate with just 5g week water changes no filters. The bare minimum setup is heater and power head and T5 light. That will grow most lps corals. Newbies always get caught up in the idea of filtration, I know I did last year when I started. That’s because filtration is the wrong word for what these devices do, they are all nutrient export devices. A skimmer and a fuge do the same thing as a hob filter just using different methods. 
Last year I bought the same tank and was all confused about how to convert it to salt. I got too much bad info and I gave up but in retrospect the right solution  would have been to just add rocks, a power head and heater and start the cycle. You don’t need a HOB anything to start, but if you find that you are feeding too much and nutrients get way out of control you can add a hob skimmer, fuge or filter floss and media but wait till you actually have issues then pick the right solution for your specific problem. 

Oh yeah definitely invest in test kits. You will need nitrate phosphate and Alk for a minimum. Don’t buy ati for anything except nitrate the kits are garbage. Buy Hanna if you can for alk and phosphate saves a lot of headache.

Oh yeah budget for an ato system. Buy that before you put any livestock in.

• Like 1